Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory
Canon EOS 1D X and 1D C Service Notice

From Canon USA:

Thank you for using Canon products.

This notice is to proactively inform our customers of the details of the phenomena described below along with Canon’s support actions. Because we value the trust our customers have placed in us, we are dedicated to continuously improving product quality and delivering industry-leading service and support. We offer our sincerest apologies to any customer who may be inconvenienced.

Affected ProductsPhenomena
In some units of the models listed below, there is a possibility that the following phenomena may occur due to wear caused by insufficient lubrication within the camera’s driving mechanism.
AF searches but does not lock in on the subject. (Caused by minute particles produced by wear mentioned above.)
The image shown in the viewfinder is “blurry” or “not steady”. (Occurs if wear progresses.)

Potentially Affected Products
  1. EOS-1D X: If the sixth digit of the serial number is “1”, “2”, “3”, “4”, “5”, “6” or “7”, the phenomena described above may occur.
  2. EOS-1D C: If the sixth digit of the serial number is “1”, the phenomena described above may occur.

NOTE: If the camera’s battery compartment contains one of the markings illustrated below, the camera is NOT affected by the phenomena described above even if the sixth digit of the serial number is one of the numbers mentioned above.

Markings of UNAFFECTED cameras

https://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/affected.gif

Support
Potentially affected cameras will be inspected and repaired free of charge. If you own one of the potentially affected cameras please contact our Customer Support Center.
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.
Please register the EOS-1D X and the EOS-1D C. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available.

Thank you,
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc

Canon EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera
Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON, 1-800-652-2666, TDD: 1-866-251-3752
Email: [email protected]

Canon EOS-1D C Cinema EOS Camera
Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-855-CINE-EOS (toll free), 1-855-246-3367, TDD: 1-866-251-3752
Email: [email protected]

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:39 PM
MDHO
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Mine is part of the Product Advisory but so far nothing has gone 'wrong'. Owned the EOS-1D X camera for almost 11 months now. Can't be happier with it. Went on numerous rigorous photo shoots around the world and so far, so good. I have registered my camera with Canon just in case.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Mine matches the advisory info, too. No problems, so far. No notice from CPS Canada, yet.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:39 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Redundant info removed, see Fred's OP.

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 02:30 PM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:08 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

"Insufficient lubrication within the camera’s driving mechanism." leading to "AF searches but does not lock in on the subject. (Caused by minute particles produced by wear mentioned above.)".

Sounds nasty but kudos to Canon for their ongoing proactive stance on issues. And I'm always amazed how they can isolate production issues to particular ranges of serial numbers. That tells me they must keep very detailed information about their production processes.

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:33 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Ditto on matches & no problems to date. Also, no notice has been received for CPS USA.

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:36 AM
ngaio
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

snapsy wrote:
And I'm always amazed how they can isolate production issues to particular ranges of serial numbers. That tells me they must keep very detailed information about their production processes.

Or maybe in this case it describes every 1D X made to date But yes I agree, it's impressive.

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Hmmm, regarding the sixth digit of the serial number - do you count from left or right?

If I go from left to right, I have a "1", but if I check from right to left I have a "0".

Sorry for the maybe stupid question. I have one of the early models.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Actually, that's a good question. I counted from the left, but maybe it should be from the right. Mine's a 'zero' from the right, too. I got it in August 2012.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Just got my camera back from CPS yesterday and no mention of this advisory? Does anyone know when was the advisory released as there is not a date posted on the website? My camera falls into the category when counting from the left.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Stoffer wrote:
Hmmm, regarding the sixth digit of the serial number - do you count from left or right?

If I go from left to right, I have a "1", but if I check from right to left I have a "0".

As Jim said, good question. I noticed that my serial # looks like this: xxxxx1000xxx. This suggests that the first 5 digits might be common to the model, or at least early production, that the 6th and 7th may represent production runs (so maybe 10 through 79 are affected), and the last 4 or 5 digits are individual bodies within those runs. But ~70% of bodies being in the affected range (same if only 6th digit matters)? Seems odd.

On the other hand, I'd rather think that Canon for some reason meant 6th digit from the right, so I have a 0!

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

ngaio wrote:
Or maybe in this case it describes every 1D X made to date But yes I agree, it's impressive.

Probably does describe all production until they discovered the problem. Maybe specific "hand assemblers" put in those "A"s and black marks, or maybe Canon added them to the routine after fixing the assembly process.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

You know, that is kinda of ironic because at a photo shoot the other day, I noticed for the first time ever in over 80k shots taken with mine that it wasn't locking onto the subjects 100% of the time, and I've never noticed that before. Same subjects, same setting last fall, not one problem then, but the other day, I'd randomly have the camera not want to grab focus, happened a few times during the hour long shoot. Hmm.. and it turns out mine is one of the affected bodies (No "A" stamp, and I have a 1 for the sixth digit in the serial number).

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Stoffer wrote:

From left. I have a 4 without A stamp

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
shooter00

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

gvg45 wrote:
Just got my camera back from CPS yesterday and no mention of this advisory? Does anyone know when was the advisory released as there is not a date posted on the website? My camera falls into the category when counting from the left.

It was posted on 6/17....

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Lars Johnsson wrote:
From left. I have a 4 without A stamp

Well, if you're right, I might as well look at it from the bright side: It seems like I have just earned myself a free check n' clean.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

I just talked to the Canon people at the Jamesburg facility, it is the 6th number from the left
Bob

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

BobnJake wrote:
I just talked to the Canon people at the Jamesburg facility, it is the 6th number from the left
Bob

Thanks for getting it sorted out, Bob.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

With that many numbers (1-7) I would think it highly likely that this is going to contain all current 1DXs out there. The "A" mark will probably only come into affect for all of the ones that get repaired and the number #8 batch is likely fairly new or not even started yet.

So far, checking 3 different forums, I've yet to see a report of someone not in the 1-7 range.

I also saw two reports of people who just bought one in the last 1-2 weeks and they have a #6 in that spot.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:24 PM
iammikie
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Well, called it in a few hours ago, already got the UPS label and it is on its way to Newport News, VA

Not having any problems but might as well get it over with.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:42 PM
       2       3              7       8       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.