Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

While out on a hike yesterday my wife says she is ready for a smaller camera / lens lineup.. She currently has at her disposal a 5DIII, Canon 1Ds II, and a ton of Canon / Zeiss lens. ( 15mm - 300 f2.8) She will continue to use the "Big Stuff" in the studio but wants smaller walk-around, hiking, traveling camera. I read good & bad things about every camera so I come to those that actually use them for advice:

1:: Which camera did you chose / Why??
2:: Is there an adapter that would allow her to use our current lens?? If not, see #3
3:: Please give me your dream lineup from UWA - Super-tele??

We shoot in Raw, Landscape primarily / Then sports; usually with tripod, (but she wants to hand-hold), PP in LR5 / CS6; Use the NIK bundle, with a little Topaz thrown in. Hi IQ is very desirable as we sometimes print 24" X 36", or larger.. Thank you so much. Jim & Jean

View previous versions

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:08 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

The new Sigma Merrill APS-C Compacts have me intrigued. The samples look unbelievably good.

If she needs weather proofing and shoots ISO800 and below most of the time, get a OM-D. Any lens more than $400 is good to excellent without exception in MFT. There are a couple bargain lenses that are excellent as well.

If she doesn't, get a NEX-6 or NEX-7 and one of the new Touit lenses or the Zeiss 24mm F1.8. All the other lenses are meh to pretty bad.

You can adapt and even use speedboosters on NEX and MFT.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:24 PM
pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

Whats wrong with above ISO800 on the OM-D? I only ask as my Panny GX1 is fine at ISO1600 and most people seem to prefer the OM-D

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

I'd use both and see what feels best to you. The NEX has a little better sensor (will be about a half stop to a stop better in the noise department) and a larger sensor. The OM-D has fantastic in-body IS and a better lens lineup.

I personally hate the way the NEX cameras feel in the hand and operate, but that's very subjective. There are people who feel the exact opposite and love the NEX handling and hate the OM-D for the same reason.

AF will be a little better on the OM-D, but it's not a big leap, and base ISO files are cleaner on the NEX cams. They both have good resolution. The high end lenses for Micro 4/3 are as good as any L glass for Canon. The NEX line has a few really good lenses, but nowhere near the comprehensive lineup of high end stuff that m4/3 has. However, due to the APS sensor, it's a little better for adapting lenses. But on the other hand, all adapted lenses are stabilized on the OM-D.

Since there are many things each does well, I think personally the tiebreaker goes to how you like handling them.

You also may want to look at something like the Fuji X-E1, as long as you don't need AF speed or quick responsiveness. Image quality is excellent and the lenses are outstanding too. I love the control scheme.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:36 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #5 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

FlyPenFly wrote:
The new Sigma Merrill APS-C Compacts have me intrigued. The samples look unbelievably good.

OP said no tripod though, so that takes them out of the running. You really need to shoot ISO100 w/ them and that means tripod in most cases.

I'd agree w/ OM-D though...in-body SR works great for handholding and it'll do ISO3200 easily w/ Sony's chip tech inside it. The EPL-5 has the same sensor/SR and is smaller, so that's viable as well.
I have a GX1 and wish Panasonic had put the GH3's sensor in it. Main negative w/ m4/3 is no leaf shutter like you have on the Fuji X100, so you'll need an ND filter at times...

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:37 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

NEX is my suggestion, given the Smart Adaptors (standard & SpeedBooster) which give near-full compatibility with her current glass.

In terms of lenses for NEX, the 24/1.8 & Zeiss Touit lenses are superb. The 10-18/4 OSS & 35/1.8 OSS are very good. The 50/1.8 OSS is pretty good. The zooms are decent aside from the 16-50. The 30/3.5 and 16/2.8 are also reasonable performers for the money (the 16 gets slagged a lot, but a good copy is better than most 'good' FF 24's on FF). The Sigma trio make a great & inexpensive intro as well, covering 19, 30 and 60 (28, 45, & 90 mm-e). There's a new 20/2.8 pancake from Sony as well, but I've not seen much from it. Looks pretty decent so far but it's only real claim to fame is being smaller than the quite good Sigma 19.

Personally I switched from NEX (NEX-7 with Zeiss 24 + Alt's) to OM-D, but that was mainly to gain improved tripod handling (the 7 has some issues, mostly resolved with the newer 6) and handling with larger lenses (no grip, unlike the OM-D). Both are superb, but the OM-D has the better native lineup while the NEX bodies are better for Alt use.

As to lineups:

NEX-6: Zeiss T 12/2.8, ZA 24, Zeiss T 32/1.8, ZE 50/2 Makro-Planar, Zeiss C/Y 135/2.8, 200/2.8L, with EF Smart Adaptor

OM-D (with grip): Panasonic 7-14/4, Leica 25/1.4, Panasonic 35-100/2.8, Oly 60/2.8 macro, Oly 4/3rds 50-200/2.8-3.5 with MMF-3 adaptor. Note aside from the first 2 lenses, this is fully weather-sealed.

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 02:55 PM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:50 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #7 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

If you want to adapt lenses to a smaller setup, then I'd say NEX is almost a no-brainer. You can use Metabones smart adapters and/or speedboosters, retaining AF/IS and the "FF Look".

If you don't mind buying into a new system of (fantastic) lenses, OM-D will do very well.

I think that is the biggest difference between the two.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:51 PM
serhan_
• •
p.1 #8 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

I have older Sigma dp's, Sony nex5n/6 and Oly epl-5/OMD. Sigma's are ultimate landscape cameras but they are to restrictive. I prefer the handling of nex-6 to OMD as I need a grip with OMD, similarly nex-5n to epl-5 esp with bigger lenses. Af is faster with OMD as said above.

Nex has advantage of adaptability eg you can use Canon-nex af adapters which will let you change aperture electronically though the af is slow, but focus peaking makes a difference for manual focus. My Canon 28-135mm & 75-300 have af on nex with speed booster adapter. Oly has the native lens advantage esp on the long end though they are slow lenses. OMD is weather sealed with Oly 12-50, Pana 12-35 2.8, Pana 35-100 2.8, and Oly 60mm 2.8 macro lenses.

On the wide side, m43 has very good Panasonic 7-14mm lens vs Sony 10-18 which is more close to Oly 9-18mm performance but has a wider range. However 7-14 is big, has some issues with OMD, and needs additional adaptation for filters. Sony also has Zeiss Touit 12mm.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:58 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

The Sony 10-18 is not at the Oly 9-18 performance.

I don't use anything from the OM-D above ISO 800 except for just casual friend photos. Certainly never for paid work or prints.

The tripod required for a tiny Sigma DP is not obtrusive, I use a Trek one for my NEX that doubles as a hiking stick and is very light but strong.

Sorry but the Sony zooms are terrible, I've owned several of them and the Sony 16mm is great for black and white but that's about it IMO. It has no micro contrast much like their zooms. What's nice about NEX is APS-C's 1.5 adaptability, a bit more dynamic range and room in the files to tweak in post before posterization or excess noise, and the colors. The Sigma 19 and 30 which are pretty good lenses and cheap are more useful FLs on NEX.

The Sony 35mm F1.8 is a good lens but it's about the only one that's pretty decent in their prime lineup outside of Zeiss. The 50mm F1.8 OSS is surprisingly not tack sharp and has too much CA for such a conservative design.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:16 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

Thank you one and all. I have to plead ignorance when it comes to MFT camera /lens. We have used Canon Since the 60's.. With the information you have provided I can reasonably be assured I am renting the correct gear for the wife... Thank you , you are tremendous.. Jim & Jean

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

Hi Jim

If you may recall, I was shooting with a Canon 5D II but I sold that and all my L-lenses when I discovered how good the files are from the OM-D with good primes - not quite FF quality but the files are at least as good as the 7D which I used to own twice before.

The OM-D is the most DSLR-like in looks and functionality ... and they have pretty good/fast primes. As a matter of fact, no other mirrorless ILC has quite as wide a range as the MFT. I would recommend the following lenses from Olympus: 12, 17, 45, 60, 75 prime lenses, and 9-18 and 75-300 zooms. And from Panasonic: 25/1.4 prime and 12-35 and 35-100 zooms. These are all very good lenses and you get in-body image stabilization with the OM-D. With IBIS you won't need a tripod for most of the time, unless you are shooting long exposures.

And you can adapt any Canon lens to the OM-D via an inexpensive adaptor. I know a number of FM'ers who have shot very successfully with their Canon 400mm lenses on the OM-D ... in manual focus mode, of course.

There is quite a steep learning curve with the OM-D as the menu and manual sucks. Also, the OM-D is not good for fast-action sports but I think that will change with the next iteration of the OM-D.

I have no experience with the NEX and Fuji cameras and I am not really partial towards rangefinder cameras.

Cheers,
Bobby

Jun 18, 2013 at 04:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

bobbytan wrote:
Hi Jim

If you may recall, I was shooting with a Canon 5D II but I sold that and all my L-lenses when I discovered how good the files are from the OM-D with good primes - not quite FF quality but the files are at least as good as the 7D which I used to own twice before.

The OM-D is the most DSLR-like in looks and functionality ... and they have pretty good/fast primes. As a matter of fact, no other mirrorless ILC has quite as wide a range as the MFT. I would recommend the following lenses from Olympus:
...Show more

Bobby; Thank you for the information. The OMD seems to be the camera she is leaning toward. I have copied this list for future reference.. Again, thank you, Jim

Jun 18, 2013 at 05:07 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #13 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

I would agree, for the most part, the OMD is as much or more camera than anybody needs. I think that with the good M4/3 primes, it can match or exceed the image quality of a lot of the APS-C cameras out there, while being small and fun to use.

Jun 18, 2013 at 05:38 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #14 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

ISO1600 wrote:
I would agree, for the most part, the OMD is as much or more camera than anybody needs. ...

Who would like to be 'anybody'? ;-)

Jun 18, 2013 at 05:46 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

ISO1600 wrote:
I would agree, for the most part, the OMD is as much or more camera than anybody needs. I think that with the good M4/3 primes, it can match or exceed the image quality of a lot of the APS-C cameras out there, while being small and fun to use.

Thank you

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:02 PM
joezasada
• • • •
p.1 #16 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

I recently switched from full frame canon with L lenses to micro 4/3

I have a GH3 as my 'main' body and I converted my GX1 to infrared with life pixel.

I would like to add another small body, perhaps when the successor to the GX1 comes out, or a E-PL5

I chose micro 4/3 because of two reasons:
-best selection of lenses
-smallest form factor
-affordability
-the GH3 is really good, enough that I sold off my canon full farme gear, good enough for shooting weddings, events, studio work, and so forth.
-the video of the GH3 is unbeatable in terms of capability for that price range

the OMD is also a great body...

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:03 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

wfrank wrote:
Who would like to be 'anybody'? ;-)

I have always wanted to be "anybody" or was that somebody Thank you

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:04 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #18 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

At least for me, there is no real perfect answer. I've owned / own pretty much all mirrorless besides the Ricoh system. Some thoughts from me on what I've used, FWIW:

1) Nikon's "1" System - Badass AF and that's about it. Nikon doesn't seem too committed to the system, though, and it seems a bit geared toward casual snappers. Not a lot of real high quality native glass. I wasn't impressed with my V1 rental setup (including some DX and FX glass to test w/adapter)

2) m43 - Oly's got a good thing with its OMD, I really like the swivel LCD, the IBIS is good if you need it, and it has fast AF. m43 lens lineup is also very fleshed out, great setup. I don't like base-ISO IQ as much as some other systems, though, but it's fine for most purposes. I kept my GX1 because it's so damn cheap it's not worth selling - might get the 20mm/1.7 as a generic tiny walk-around camera. IQ of the GX1 is behind the OMD, and both are behind the NEX and Fuji systems.

3) Fuji - So far so good, I like the styling of my XE1 but it can't touch the OMD for camera performance or glass options. What Fuji *does* offer so far in glass, though, is pretty damn nice. I like Fuji's IQ the best of all mirrorless.

4) NEX - I have the 5N and while a decent camera, the menu system and controls of the camera are infuriating, especially when constantly hitting the stupid record movie button accidentally.

Less impressed with the lenses. IQ is very nice with good glass and though I prefer Fuji's color response, NEX is also pretty good.

Adapting lenses - yeah most mirrorless will adapt lenses just fine, but you have to ask yourself what you're gaining - and it's not much. You'll lose the weight associated with the FF body, but the glass is still there, and now you need an adapter to mate it all up -- if you plan on keeping the native glass, you also have to deal with the crop factors induced (1.5x or 2x or 2.7x if you go Nikon), which might ruin your lineup.

Best bet, if you truly want to lighten the load, go native all the way. Oly's lineup is pretty damn complete, though once you get past ~200mm FOV (using the 35-100/2.8), the quality options diminish.

Fuji's got good glass from ~21mmFOV to ~300mm FOV, but we're still awaiting their 56mm/1.2 and whether the 10-14mm zoom is going to be any good (if history serves as a basis, it will be).

You might also really consider going extremely light and getting an RX100 only. I've been strongly debating that with my mountain biking excursions and might give it a rental to see if I like it.

If you're mainly hiking and don't care about blazing AF speed, you might also consider the Canon G1X camera, better IQ than the Sony but bulkier (still small though). RX100 good for a real jeans pocket camera, but maybe not so important if you're hiking already with a small backpack, etc.

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:06 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

joezasada wrote:
I recently switched from full frame canon with L lenses to micro 4/3

I have a GH3 as my 'main' body and I converted my GX1 to infrared with life pixel.

I would like to add another small body, perhaps when the successor to the GX1 comes out, or a E-PL5

I chose micro 4/3 because of two reasons:
-best selection of lenses
-smallest form factor
-affordability
-the GH3 is really good, enough that I sold off my canon full farme gear, good enough for shooting weddings, events, studio work, and so forth.
-the video of the GH3 is unbeatable in terms of capability for that price
...Show more

Thank you. I am not familiar with the terms GH3, GX1 but I will definitely look them up... Jim

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:17 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · OM-D, Nex, OR What

cputeq wrote:
At least for me, there is no real perfect answer. I've owned / own pretty much all mirrorless besides the Ricoh system. Some thoughts from me on what I've used, FWIW:

1) Nikon's "1" System - Badass AF and that's about it. Nikon doesn't seem too committed to the system, though, and it seems a bit geared toward casual snappers. Not a lot of real high quality native glass. I wasn't impressed with my V1 rental setup (including some DX and FX glass to test w/adapter)

2) m43 - Oly's got a good thing with its OMD, I really like the swivel
...Show more

You have provided some excellent suggestions. I will add Fuji, Ricoh, RX100 & Canon G 1X to my rental list. Thank you so much. Jim

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password