Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Converting Profoto Pro Head to Speedotron cable plug / socket for Speedo...

Liazon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Converting Profoto Pro Head to Speedotron cable plug / socket for Speedo Pack

Hi everyone,

Long time browser of FM now finally posting.

I looked at this site for deals of studio gear and the photo challenges. Now picking up more gear, in my case its Speedotron, there is a challenge I want to take on myself and share with you all on using a Profoto heads with my packs.

The reason why I want to do this is because its been done before. I like to have a profoto head working with any of my Speedotron packs because of the light modifiers exclusive only to profoto. It will probably serve as my main light.

If any of you mention about converting a Profoto light modifier to have a Speedotron receptor forget it, looked into it, and I rather hack two connectors off two lamps and re wire a Profoto head to work with my packs. Question is, how?

I am not an engineer, but I learned to solder. I dont know squat about converting anything. All I can fathom is that a pair of pins are for the model light, a pair for the flash tube, perhaps fan control, and yadda yada. I like to know if anyone here can link me to what I want to know on the pin outs. I think its as simple as hacking off one cable and soldering what I want to another cable. Please correct me if I am naively wrong about this.

My father mention using a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter). I dont know how to use it, nor does he, but knows that a tool i could use for my project.

Please give me guidance and in return when I buy the equipment to be modified it shall become a DIY for those interested.

Thanks,

Bob

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:48 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Converting Profoto Pro Head to Speedotron cable plug / socket for Speedo Pack

Talk to the folks at Flash Centre...they've done it before.

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:33 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Converting Profoto Pro Head to Speedotron cable plug / socket for Speedo Pack

I would be nervous about this project as a DIY: the voltages and current coming off the connector are extremely dangerous. At the very least, you risk complete destruction of the Profoto head.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:02 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Converting Profoto Pro Head to Speedotron cable plug / socket for Speedo Pack

Liazon wrote:
My father mention using a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter). I dont know how to use it, nor does he, but knows that a tool i could use for my project.

Please give me guidance and in return when I buy the equipment to be modified it shall become a DIY for those interested.

Thanks,

Bob

I am really into DIY, but messing with a AC powered flash pack is something I want to stay away. Especially for someone who doesn't understand how to use a multimeter, the lack of knowledge and experience can lead to a fatal shock or blown fuses/tripped breakers if lucky.

For those who are interested, this might be helpful: http://www.lumix.fr/Photo/Other_items/Cable.html

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:57 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Converting Profoto Pro Head to Speedotron cable plug / socket for Speedo Pack

We had a really technical contributor a couple of year back who gave the pin-outs for Profoto heads (they vary between Acute/Pro lines). I know my way around a multimeter (have a high-end Fluke), but it's just not worth the hazard. Besides connecting the leads correctly (!), you need to properly secure the insulation and strain relief at the connector. The two recommended companies that come up for this line of work are Flash Clinic (NYC) and Silvino (LA).

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Converting Profoto Pro Head to Speedotron cable plug / socket for Speedo Pack

Silvino's can make a pigtail adapter for $200 and it'll save you from chopping up perfectly good profoto gear. He made a Norman head to hensel adapter for me..I think it was around $200.

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:58 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.