New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which remote switch?

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which remote switch?

I'll be needing a remote switch for shooting landscapes and long exposures. I've no idea what to look for; a search on B&H reveals several models and widely varied prices. Recommendations would be most appreciated!

Thanks! Sharon

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which remote switch?

Hi Sharon,

Do you need a wireless connection, or a simple wired release to eliminate camera shake (which the 2-second timer also does)?

What's the maximum exposure time you need? If it's more than 30 seconds, you'll need a remote shutter release with a timer, like the Canon TC-80N3 timer remote shutter release (wired, expensive). There's also a variety of new options using smart phones and pads. As well as a variety of "generic" and relatively inexpensive wired solutions.

If it's really a case of reducing camera shake and sometimes doing exposures longer than 30 seconds, while you're standing next to the tripod, then you can get a simple, wired remote shutter release like the RS-80N3 remote shutter release. For exposures longer than 30 seconds (which is the max. settable exposure time for most cameras), you simply use the "thumb lock" slider on the remote, and it'll maintain the exposure for as long as you want (or as long as the battery works). In this last case, you can use a watch or count Mississippis to figure out when to 'unlock' the release.

Jim

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Luta13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which remote switch?

I use the wired ones from a German company named Hahnel. Cheaper than Canon but not the cheapest. Gave up on wireless for landscape and night shots. They are just too finicky.

jcolwell wrote:
...In this last case, you can use a watch or count Mississippis to figure out when to 'unlock' the release.

The modern bodies have a timer that counts in seconds on the top LCD when you use a wired trigger in bulb mode.

Mike

Jun 17, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which remote switch?

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Sharon,

Do you need a wireless connection, or a simple wired release to eliminate camera shake (which the 2-second timer also does)?

What's the maximum exposure time you need? If it's more than 30 seconds, you'll need a remote shutter release with a timer, like the Canon TC-80N3 timer remote shutter release (wired, expensive). There's also a variety of new options using smart phones and pads. As well as a variety of "generic" and relatively inexpensive wired solutions.

If it's really a case of reducing camera shake and sometimes doing exposures longer than 30 seconds, while you're standing next to the tripod,
...Show more

Thanks, JIm - Well, this is all new to me. I have become inspired by the landscapes on this forum and want to give it a try. So, I guess I'm not sure how long the maximum exposure time would be. But the potential is there for, I suppose, a 1-minute exposure but probably not more than that. (I should have known that this question would be more complicated than I'd hoped...) I'll check into that RS-80N3 though, so thank you for that!

OK - Here is how I thought these things worked: You get your focus as you want it, filters on if using, then you use the remote to actually trip the shutter. Is this not how they work?

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Luta13
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which remote switch?

That is how they work. compose, focus, meter, trip shutter.

For most shots you can use the normal camera metering and that will usually take you to 30 second exposures. No need to guess exposure time, and no, its not complicated. Just meter the camera as normal and click the remote trigger.
When you start to look at long exposure photography for specific shots and you are using ND filters or attempting to capture star trails, etc you then might venture to bulb mode and +30 second exposures. For landscapes, dawn, dust, and city lit night photography, the camera's meter will work to point you to the correct shutter speed in manual mode as you shouldn't need more than 30 seconds.

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which remote switch?

Sharona wrote:
I'll be needing a remote switch for shooting landscapes and long exposures. I've no idea what to look for; a search on B&H reveals several models and widely varied prices. Recommendations would be most appreciated!

Thanks! Sharon

Well my Aputure AP-WR3C has so far served me well for around 4 years and counting. Nice tetherless remote. Worked fine on my 5D2 and works fine on my 5D3.
Only cost like $10 or something.

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:43 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which remote switch?

Sharona wrote:

Thanks! Sharon

I utilize the RS-80N3 for general purposes and the TC-80N3 for long exposures (>30 sec.) and night time exposure sequences. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on accessories. My original RS-80N3 has been through the wars for over a dozen years, dragging on the ground much of the time.

EBH

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which remote switch?

i have used the vello freewave plus wireless remote
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753841-REG/Vello_RWII_C_FreeWave_Plus_Wireless_Remote.html

and am awaiting arrival of the vello shutterboss

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=749292&is=REG

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which remote switch?

If you're going to be standing next to the camera, even the cheapest ones will hold the shutter open. The most important part of landscapes is keeping the camera steady, obviously; anything that can hold the shutter open without you touching the camera works .

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which remote switch?

I've been using the Aputure AP-TR3C timer remote and the Seculine twin1 IR wireless/wired remote for several years. They do the job.

Recently have been playing with the DSLR Controller app on my Android phone. It breathes new life into my 1D3. Not only does the phone become a remote, I can also use the phone's screen instead of the camera's LCD for live view.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which remote switch?

jcolwell wrote:
...In this last case, you can use a watch or count Mississippis to figure out when to 'unlock' the release.

Luta13 wrote:
The modern bodies have a timer that counts in seconds on the top LCD when you use a wired trigger in bulb mode.

Mike

That's probably more accurate than Mississippis. I never noticed that feature before.

OTHO, I probably haven't used an exposure longer that 30 seconds since I used large format film, whatever that was...

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:12 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which remote switch?

Thanks again, everyone. Will look into these. I was really looking forward to the whole "one-Mississippi" thing, though...

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which remote switch?

Sharona wrote:
Thanks again, everyone. Will look into these. I was really looking forward to the whole "one-Mississippi" thing, though...

Just imagine "60 Minutes" taking a station break (tick tick tick...), and use the LCD to check yourself.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which remote switch?

EB-1 wrote:
I utilize the RS-80N3 for general purposes and the TC-80N3 for long exposures (>30 sec.) and night time exposure sequences. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on accessories. My original RS-80N3 has been through the wars for over a dozen years, dragging on the ground much of the time.

EBH

Still you could replace my Aputure like 30x over, were it to actually keep breaking, for the cost of a canon remote trigger....
This is one place I actually suggest cheaping out.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.