New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

When these two were the same price it seemed clear that SL1 was the way to go. Then the EOS-M fire sale started, making that half the price of an SL1. So, like any camera gear addict, I got one of each to try them out and see which one works best for me.

Now I'm stuck. I really like them both!

My main camera is a 5D3, so this is primarily for travel and other times when I want a smaller load. The SL1 has built-in flash and built-in EF/EFS lens compatibility, making it actually more compact than the EOS-M by the time those add-ons are attached.

The big advantage of the M would be small lenses in addition to small camera, which is more or less true but the 18-135mm for the SL1 isn't overly huge. The other big advantage for the SL1 is SLR-style controls (very little need to use the touch screen).

Sensor-wise I can't really tell much of a difference without spending time shooting brick walls, etc. But unless it's just my random sample pool, it seems like the images from the M are better at high ISO. Less noise and less smudge in the correction. But in theory the two sensors are all but equivalent.

"The boss" is telling me to hurry up and pick one, so I thought I'd see what other FMers might be weighing a similar choice?

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

You already have both, surely you are best place to decide which you prefer?

For me the Eos M holds no appeal whatsoever (hence the fire sale, I am not alone). My decision would be easy.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

Naturally, I think most people will prefer the higher priced of the two, if by psychology alone.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
maholyoak
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

Check out some of the EOS M reports in this thread which is more generally about the EOS M vs Sony NEX 5N. I make a direct comparison with the SL1 in it (pros and cons not image quality directly) and some other comments on the EOS M are useful:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1219906

I'm a firm believer in the SL1 having tried it and the EOS M.

Best wishes
Marcel.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1219906

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 05:32 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

As others have said, you have to decide which is right for your style of shooting. DxO rates the sensors essentially identical. The Digital Picture tests the two STM kit lenses essentially identical although the M specific lenses will be smaller and lighter. You are basically choosing between handling characteristics here. Especially as supplement to a 5D system.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

If it were me, I'd keep them both. The more the merrier. In your case, give the M to your "boss"with a happy birthday card and keep the SL1. She'll probably let you borrow the M if you're nice to her...

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:50 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

dhphoto wrote:
For me the Eos M holds no appeal whatsoever (hence the fire sale, I am not alone). My decision would be easy.

I agree 100%, I have had no desire for the M. Since they came out the SL-1 I have thought about getting a small travel cam. But then again, I do not even like the size of the rebel so I will stick with my 6D and 7D.

If I were to get one, it would be the SL-1, the M would not even be an option.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:03 PM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

I used the SL-1 as my fun camera on a ten day trip to India. It was handy and used it a lot for snapshots. I mated it with a 35 f/1.4 and 135 f/2 lens although sometimes I used the 18-55 STM kit lens that came with it. When I went out for more serious photography, it was the 1DX and 1DIV for me since I'm used to the controls of these cameras and for processing power.

The controls on the SL-1 are very small and I need to get used to the nine focus points again just like the classic 5D. I ordered the SL-1 without hesitation when it first came out because of its compatibility with all my lenses. My plan is to use it more for family photos where I don't have to lug a pro camera all the time and also for astrophotography.

With its weight it can easily mount on the Vixen Polarie with a longer lens and not worry about the mount slipping because of the weight.

As far as the M, after reading the reviews of slow focus and the need to have an adaptor to mount regular lenses plus a viewfinder, it was just too much to work.

Hope this helps.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

Of the current mirrorless systems, I'd put EOS-M last by a long way. Canon is clearly not serious about this segment at this stage and the camera while having great potential is half-baked. So I'd take an SL-1 in a heartbeat over the EOS-M and get myself the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 fist up. and go from there.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:23 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

The SL1 is a better camera is just about everyday, except one, no existing pancake lens for walk around shooting. The 40mm is not very usable on a crop sensor. The 22mm on the EOS M is superb and incredibly compact.
I solved the issue by buying both

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

You all are making me want the SL1 now. I was considering the M...not as much now.

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

joeisayo wrote:
The SL1 is a better camera is just about everyday, except one, no existing pancake lens for walk around shooting. The 40mm is not very usable on a crop sensor. The 22mm on the EOS M is superb and incredibly compact.
I solved the issue by buying both

If you can live with MF there is a 20mm pancake from Nocton and Olympus make some super little lenses not much bigger than pancakes. One lens is not even close to being reason to buy into a EOS-M.

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:20 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

Sounds like popular opinion here is the SL-1.

dennis

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 05:35 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:25 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

Ask the boss which one she she likes.

Then give her the other one.

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

fotografur wrote:
* there's a lot of hate here for the M, just sayin

There are much better systems available if you want small and if you want a DSLR, the SL-1 is pretty good.

Canon only has themselves to blame for the poor response to the EOS-M and have privately admitted the poor AF alone is hurting them very badly. Maybe the FW update can help, but the damage is done IMO. They need a major update ASAP and should release an M2.

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:29 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 05:36 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:34 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

The two really are the same thing though when you consider the intended audience/purpose -- serious photographers who want something small for times when they don't want to lug around their "real" camera.

The trick (at least for me) is determining priority of controls and lens usage. While I like the idea of having all my lenses be compatible, I'm not saving much space if I lug them around with me. OTOH SLR-like ergonomics are a plus.

In my OP I was just curious what anyone else considering these two cameras had discovered. For example, one thing I didn't consider at first was audio. Video recording with the "M" has stereo, but the two mics are (stupidly IMHO) placed right where people's left thumb will rest. Panasonic had this problem for a few years but they seem to have gotten past it. The SL1 doesn't have that problem, but records audio in mono.

I know the "M" wasn't a huge hit or anything (thus the fire sale), but it's really not a bad camera. If you pre-focus by holding the shutter halfway down (as I always do anyhow), it takes the picture pretty fast. Are the complaints about recycle time between shots?

Jun 17, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

fotografur wrote:
* there's a lot of hate here for the M, just sayin

I wouldn't worry much about that. The G1X which I have and love gets slammed pretty hard too. It has P&S speed AF, probably very similar to the M, but with its nearly APS C sized sensor takes pretty amazing images also probably very similar to the M.

I'm considering the SL1 as a lightweight body to go with my 70-200 f4 IS. It will also handle the 1.4x for an equivalent reach of 450 mm. With the G1X the total package weighs 4.7 lbs. and no lens changes during my hike. The SL1 with kit lens costs about the same as one of the new Canon wide IS primes. Its just another piece of kit to consider when appropriate. I have 7 active lenses in my current kit; the only one that cost less than the SL1+kit is my old 85 f1.8, just sayin

Jun 17, 2013 at 08:46 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SL1 vs. EOS-M

I borrowed a friends M (before he quickly sold it and recently bought a Sl1. MY old Canon S90 made the M feel like a tortoise. The SL1 feels about as fast as mu old 5D2.
Jim

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.