Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

ITR010342

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

So I will be heading to North Queensland (Port Douglas and north) for my honeymoon in a week and a half. I plan to carry on my small Canon backpack with most of my equipment. Will be taking 100 and MPE 65mm for macros, 300L f4 with 1.4x TC for nature, 50 1.4 for general use, and 17-40L for landscapes. two flashes including MT-24ex for the macros and my small waterproof p&s. I will have my 1D4 and my wife will have my 50D with a 28-135mm for backup.

We plan to rent a car to explore the Daintree rainforest, Cape Tribulation, and surrounding area, as well as snorkel in the GBR. Have I covered all my bases? And anyone have any advice for shooting nature and macro in North Queensland? Making sure to have it all for a once in a lifetime trip!

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

I hear it's very hot and humid - it's also worth reading up on responses to venomous animals etc. e.g. how to treat Jellyfish bites etc. I reckon!

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:37 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Don't you have better things to do on your honeymoon than hauling 100 pounds of gear through the wilderness? ;)

Enjoy your trip! Very beautiful area up there.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:27 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Don't forget to take your wife....

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Dawei Ye wrote:
I hear it's very hot and humid - it's also worth reading up on responses to venomous animals etc. e.g. how to treat Jellyfish bites etc. I reckon!

It's winter in Cairns, the humidity has dropped right off, it's the dry season and between now and August very pleasant. You can get nice crisp mornings around 16-18C and warm days around 25-27C.

You don't need to worry about jelly fish this time of year and I would definitely book a sailing /snorkeling/diving trip on the GBR and have an underwater camera/housing. The colours of the coral and fish are insane and the water so clear. They will do dive instruction on the boat. Go for the smaller yachts that only take 10-20 rather than the huge catamarans, that are too crowded and really ruin the experience IMO.

I wouldn't take a MP-E on an OS trip unless I was attending a macro workshop. The 100 should be fine alone.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
rockant
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

15Bit wrote:
Don't forget to take your wife....

I don't think he will forget, because she is caring some of his gear!

Have Fun!

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

It is once in a life-time trip alright but I still would put more emphasis on the honeymoon end of that trip though, if I were you.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Best time of the year to go, only warning is to heed the advice regarding crocodiles, you get no second chances with those guys. Chances are the only wildlife you will see are in sancturies or zoos. Hire a 4WD if you can and explore some of the back roads. It's a special trip so don't feel you have to capture everything. We drive on the lefthand side of the road.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

I saw plenty of crocs sunning themselves on beautiful wide, flat beaches that were screaming out for you to have swim north of Cairns. Crocs are much more aggressive than gators so be warned, don't fuck with them.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Angry
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Agree with the Croc warning,...its not folklore...
As for the weather at that time of the year its very mild.
We even have electricity & running water .....except for some areas...especially FNQ.
Barrier Reef is a bucket list thing...dont miss out.
dont be decieved by the maps, distances here are pretty big.

Have fun.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:07 AM
dodgyexposure

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

There is a butterfly sanctuary at Kuranda (just up the range from Cairns) that is worth a visit. I got some lovely macro shots with my 100L and ringflash - you'll need light as there is no room for a tripod. It gets crowded, so go early for a bit of elbow room.

Mossman gorge (about a half hour north of Port Douglas) is also worth a visit - you can swim there with no crocs.

Nature can be tough to shoot - most of that area is dense rainforest. If you're lucky at Cape Tribulation, you may spot a cassowary, which is a relative rarity in the wild. Lots of small nocturnal marsupials around.

Enjoy yourselves.

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 01:39 AM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:37 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Just in case our Americans friends are wondering how big Queensland is, it's about 10% larger than Alaska and it's only our second largest state. Western Australia is about 50% larger again!

Make sure you spend a day in the Daintree (wonderful scenic drive from Cairns for great landscape ops), do a Cape Tribulation wilderness river cruise on the Daintree river for plenty of crocodile shots. And do not miss the Mossman Gorge, it's a stunner.
Kuranda is well worth a visit as is Port Douglas an Palm Cove.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:37 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

AGeoJO wrote:
It is once in a life-time trip alright but I still would put more emphasis on the honeymoon end of that trip though, if I were you.

Some words of wisdom

Great sex may last 2 minutes (3 with foreplay) but a great photo lasts forever. Get your priorities right!

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Yes you can serenade your wife at night - keep days free for photography

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:50 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

AGeoJO wrote:

+1. Honeymoon != photography trip.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Queensland will be humid, but not as hot this time of year, it is Winter here, but being so close to the equator, you will still be warm.

Have lots of silica gel packs in your bags for keeping moisture out of your gear.

First and foremost, enjoy the time with your wife, and try not to use too much of the time for photos, try setting certain days/times for photos before going so you don't get each other angry with wanting to do different things.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:40 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

AGeoJO wrote:

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Some words of wisdom

Great sex may last 2 minutes (3 with foreplay) but a great photo lasts forever. Get your priorities right!

The sex part may take only that long but it cannot convey that "wham bam, thank you ma'am" feeling. The pampering part is more time consuming. You simply cannot afford for your new bride to get the feeling of being neglected, especially during the honeymoon. It will have a long lasting effect in a marriage. After being married for 40 years to the same woman, mind you, like I am right now, then you can get away with a slight neglect during a trip .

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:58 AM
ITR010342

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Honeymoon with Canon in Austrailia

Will definitly make sure to pamper the wife. Have a couple romantic things set up to do, so we will keep it honeymoon-like

She really wants to explore the area, so we will be enjoying photographing it together

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password