New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

aced19

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

I need some help on how to fix the blown out areas on my daughters arms.
I have some ability to use photoshop. But I never can get the arms to look right when trying to correct the blown out area.

Jun 16, 2013 at 09:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

The blown areas are essentially neutral, so regular tonal value changes will just render them "grayer". Likely, you would need to consider cloning or painting some semi-matching color form other areas.

While they are a bit more than "rim lighting" ... I think they convey the summer sun that goes along with the attire and boat vibe. I think it'd take more effort than gain and would require more expertise/finesse that I'm skilled toward to pull it off with a natural look. Maybe someone else will have a simple solution, but ... for me atm.

I'd likely not worry about it and just enjoy her engaging expression.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

This is a nice snapshot. To fix all the issues would take a massive amount of work. You have blown out areas on the arms, street, boat, etc. You have additional distractions such as the light colored object above her left shoulder, the antenna growing out of her arm and the light colored mailboxes. There is a lot of clutter and additional small distractions; e.g., the object left of the steering wheel, the rusty bolt half visible at the bottom left. I also agree on the fix for the blown areas on the arm. I would work at about 800x with a 10-20% opacity brush matching color on her arm. Even with a lot of work the results are not apt to be very satisfactory. Consider this a snapshot and give up on trying to correct the issues.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM
aced19

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

Thanks for the reply's.
I know this pic has a a lot of clutter and major distractions.
But I was just wanting to learn how you would go about fixing a blown out skin area due to sun.
I will try brush matching color and see what happens. But I do think the skin is too blown out to fix.

Thanks for the help

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

Search for 'repairing blown out skin tones', or something similar on YouTube.

There are many vids available, most will involve selections and building a base other than the neutral color and then brushing, cloning, patching (choose weapon of choice) to try to match tone and build up texture. As @CamperJim suggests, not a quick task if done properly, but you can take it to whatever level you like.

Not a task done with Lightroom - you'll need CS in some flavor.

Regards,

Bob

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:29 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

I'd keep it like it is. I agree with Camperjim, it would take a lot of tedious work to fix what is essentially a snapshot. We all have images where technical shortcomings are trumped by sentimental value.

The real issue isn't blown highlights, but rather ugly light. Even if you tame the highlights the unattractive lighting will remain. The on camera fill flash doesn't help matters either. It leads to a flat light that is merely illumination.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

If the original is a raw file, you may be able to recover more of the blown highlights from the original file in ACR.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:50 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

Here is a YouTube list of possible corrections. Hope this helps as this is a problem we all experience.

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=%27repairing+blown+out+skin+tones+site:youtube.com&sa=X&ei=3LW_UcnIOov49gTh1ICoBA&ved=0CEUQ2wE&client=firefox-a&hs=1OR&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.eWU&fp=131db41cbb5acab4&biw=1003&bih=480

Jun 17, 2013 at 08:23 PM
aced19

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

Thanks everyone for the help.

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:14 PM
T-D-S

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need Help On Blown Out Areas

No input, but as a fellow Arkansan, Wooooo Pig Sooooieee!

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.