Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Maasai candid

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Maasai candid

Does the centering hurt this image?
I really want the entire background, but not at the expense of an effective portrait.
Short of cropping two ways, what do you think is optimal?
SOOC and processed.

Scott

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    75mm    f/5.6    1/500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    75mm    f/5.6    1/500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Maasai candid

I'd suggest moving the subject away from dead center and working the PP to better separate the subject from the clutter of the background.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Maasai candid

Cropped from the right. Imo, no real loss of information relative to the scene, as the structure cropped out is replicated in the background with the others, just more diminutive scale ... which means it competes with the subject less.

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:49 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #4 · Maasai candid

I prefer the crop and I do not think anything of importance was lost. I don't have too much problem with the background. I think the slight OOF blur is enough to clear pull attention to the child. I would clone out the lettering on what appears to be a paper box. Letters always pull our attention and I see no reason to retain them. Being OOF only seems to make them more of a distraction. If this was my image, I would lighten the child and darken the rest of the image as well as adding a slight vignette. That is a matter of style and lots of people would prefer the more even lighting.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · Maasai candid

Perhaps more like this.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Maasai candid

Round 2 with some tweaks in addition to the crop ... as always, S&P to taste.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:02 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Maasai candid

thanks everyone for the suggestions and illustrations.
Kent, Jim: I agree the crop improves without losing some important background elements.
Jim: I like the vignette and a bit of highlighting the child with selective exposure work. BTW, the black frame adds pop!
Scott

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Maasai candid

Scott,

@CamperJim's version for me too - like how you got down (actually appears slightly below) to the child's eye-level. Good move. Craig Tanner's advice remembered

Regards,

Bob

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password