Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

dannywkyang

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

Hi everyone

Just yesterday I've ran into an issue with my D600 (bought refurbished and out of 90 day warranty) so I thought I'd ask everyone here before moving up the Nikon support chain.

I was doing a shoot yesterday and my D600 slipped and dropped maybe 3-4 inches onto concrete. I was kneeling on the ground so it wasn't a far drop and there weren't any signs of damage.
However, when I picked it back up, I noticed it was on Auto Mode, even though my dial was set to M.
I tried changing the dial again to U1 and U2 and it's still on Auto Mode. It looks like it doesn't matter what mode I change the dial to - it'll always be on Auto Mode.

Two button reset hasn't done anything. Likewise, resetting the menu options and user settings didn't do anything.
Right now, I've got the battery out in hopes that the internal battery that powers the memory will eventually run out and reset itself.

Any ideas on why it's stuck? Is there a way I can fix this myself or do I have to get it serviced?

Thank You for your help

Jun 16, 2013 at 09:20 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

Does the subdial work?

S/CL/CH etc? If that doesn't either. The dial got disconnected.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

Yup, sounds like something broke inside. When you send anything in to Nikon these days for repairs they will always claim "impact damage"...at least they will be correct in this case. Not trying to make light of your misfortune...just taking a pot-shot at Nikon for their sub-standard customer service. Good luck with the repair.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
dannywkyang

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

mrgetalife wrote:
Does the subdial work?

S/CL/CH etc? If that doesn't either. The dial got disconnected.

Yeah the sub dial works. Though you could be right about the mode dial disconnecting. I'm just surprised it took so little force for it to happen.

Thanks for the help!

Edited on Jun 17, 2013 at 05:43 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:39 AM
dannywkyang

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

shmn wrote:
Yup, sounds like something broke inside. When you send anything in to Nikon these days for repairs they will always claim "impact damage"...at least they will be correct in this case. Not trying to make light of your misfortune...just taking a pot-shot at Nikon for their sub-standard customer service. Good luck with the repair.

Thanks! Hopefully my experience will go smoothly at least

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

Have you tried a 2 button factory reset?

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM
dannywkyang

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

DaveOls wrote:
Have you tried a 2 button factory reset?

Yeah, that's one of the first things I tried after I realized it was stuck in Auto Mode.
I've contacted Nikon about the issue and I'll see what they say.

I'm still open to ideas though - if anyone's faced something like this before, please chime in.

Thank You for the help!

Jun 18, 2013 at 05:39 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

dannywkyang wrote:
I'm still open to ideas though

Since you will probably have to send it in anyway...you can try to "drop" it again on the opposite side and see if you knock whatever is out of alignment back into place.

This is, of course, a half-serious response. Although it may work...maybe don't "drop" it but "whack" it.

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:37 PM
dannywkyang

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

shmn wrote:
Since you will probably have to send it in anyway...you can try to "drop" it again on the opposite side and see if you knock whatever is out of alignment back into place.

This is, of course, a half-serious response. Although it may work...maybe don't "drop" it but "whack" it.

I've actually smacked it a few times with the palm of my hand hoping to knock some sense into it....

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:36 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D600 Literally Stuck in Auto Mode

dannywkyang wrote:
I've actually smacked it a few times with the palm of my hand hoping to knock some sense into it....

Well, it never hurts to smack a recalcitrant camera anyway.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password