New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Practical Instruction for 24mm PC-E

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Practical Instruction for 24mm PC-E

I had the 45mm PC-E but figured I needed the 24 so after almost being scammed I went new & sadly had to part with the 45 to fund the 24. I am finding the 24 to be a total different beast & have some simple? questions regarding it.

My main purpose for puchasing the tilt/shift lens is for front to back sharpness in landscapes. This is where my first question comes into play.

Do you still work on the hyperfocal distance before worrying about applying some tilt?

I found with the 45 I was stitching way too much, shifting left & right resulting in square images. I thought with the 24 I would stop this, find the composition I want & be done with shifting for panoramas, but I still am!

Do others do the same?

I was thinking that getting it modded so they are on the same axis would stop me unless I have a nodal slide on, good idea?

I am seeming to struggle with this 24 compared to the 45, it is disappointing, while I am pretty confident in its general use I am lacking the in focus/sharpness I expect & got with the 24. I assume this is a result of trying to focus too close (2-3ft) to infinity with the use of tilt. No matter the scene I should be focusing at 6ft? I believe?

So yeah, any users have advice or references that are easy reading/practical. I struggle to learn by theory.

Thanks,

Mike

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Practical Instruction for 24mm PC-E

Sorry I can't help you much with specifics, but here is a good read:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml

I use mine more for artistic reasons... and the 24 PC-E is a hella sharp lens!

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Practical Instruction for 24mm PC-E

Where you need to focus will depend on how high your camera is off the ground.

I have yet to see a really good guide to focusing a view camera. They all got overly theoretical for no good reason.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:44 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Practical Instruction for 24mm PC-E

Thanks for that, I had read something on that website but not that info. I am going to get to play some more in the next few days so I'll see how I go.

Jun 16, 2013 at 06:52 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Practical Instruction for 24mm PC-E

If you are just wanting to shoot landscape panos then I see no reason to apply any tilts. Simply mount your camera on a tripod and turn the lens so that you can do a sift, not a raise/fall. Then shift all the way in one direction to the maximum limit take your shot and then shift all the way in the opposite direction and take a 2nd shot. That should be pretty easy to stitch together. If you want greater width than this then you will have to get into much more stitching.

Jun 16, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Practical Instruction for 24mm PC-E

I second Dexter/Chestnut's url on LL. I keep a laminated copy of the table in my bag handy. Just remember you don't need a lot of tilt to get maximum sharpness, it's actually easier to mess up by dialing in too much.

To calculate panos:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm
Bear in mind shifting to the extreme edges are generally not recommended

Focusing:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm

Jun 16, 2013 at 09:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.