Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Recently I've found myself taking my 7-14 out a bit less and less. I've been using my Fuji 14mm for a lot of wide angle stuff recently, and the 7-14 takes up a lot of space in the bag. I also have had some issues with the purple spot issue on the OM-D (of course, it was perfect with my Panny cameras and my E-P1). So, I'm considering picking up an Oly 9-18 and selling the 7-14. Question to those who have owned both: will I regret it? I know I'm losing a fair bit on the wide end, and I'm OK with that tradeoff for the size and price, though the relatively high CA has me somewhat concerned. Does it correct well? Does the correction affect edge sharpness?

Jun 16, 2013 at 04:27 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Bump

I don't own either of these lenses - yet - so I was hoping for this info also...

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:40 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Try it first, lens feel cheap but you can use filters a lot easier and it's very small and light.

It also needs to be at F6 or near F7 for it to have sharp corners. CA is easy to fix.

Edited on Jun 17, 2013 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

I'm going to go ahead and pick one up today locally. If I like it and it works, I'll put my 7-14 up for sale...if it doesn't, I'll return it. Either way, I'll do a comparison and write an article on it. I just find myself not bringing the 7-14 that often anymore, and the purple blog issue on the OM-D has become a little problematic in certain situations, so I think it probably makes more sense. For really high image quality in the UWA range, I've been using my X-E1 with Fuji 14mm, since that lens is SO good.

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

So I got the 9-18 at lunch, and it looks pretty good. It's a little softer at the edges/corners than the 7-14, but not a whole lot, and the center looks comparable in real world shooting. There's a lot more red/cyan CA, but that's completely corrected by LR in one click, so not a big deal. It has better purple fringing control and no purple spots on the OM-D (big plus). VERY small. Definitely noticably less wide...so I'll have to weigh that carefully to see if I really want to get rid of the 7mm capability. However, since I also have the awesome Panny 8mm fisheye, I can use that for truly extreme wideangle shooting as well.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

So a few impressions:

1) Size difference is very significant. The 9-18 is half the length of the 7-14, and significantly smaller in diameter, which makes a big difference in how much space it takes up in the bag. With the 9-18, I'll probably be able to take another lens vs the 7-14.

2) The 7-14 at first blush looks to be sharper on the edges and in the corners, but the 9-18 is decent. A little soft at the extremes...about like the 17-40L is for Canon.

3) The width difference is pretty significant, of course.

4) The 9-18 controls PF and flare MUCH better than the 7-14. In fact, the 9-18 is very hard to flare. When the sun is in the top edge of the frame, a very light veiling flare that results in loss of contrast is visible, but no annoying blobs or anything.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:10 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Hope to see real world images from the 9-18 (not shots of the lenses themselves), especially 100% crops of the corners. My hunt for a sharp WA lens (zoom or prime) is still a work in progress. I'd love to try a 7-14 but not having the ability to use filters is a show-stopper for me.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:20 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

MFT is lucky to have two very good options for an UWA zoom. I just wish we had a UWA fast prime.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Here are two shots from yesterday with the 9-18...sorry, crops not available right now. The 9-18 does NOT have sharp corners...there's definitely some smudginess in the corners and a little on the long edges as well (though still decent on the edge). I'm going to be doing a head to head comparison between the 9-18 and 7-14 (and I might through the Fuji 14mm in for fun, though that won't be kind to the zooms) sometime soon, with crops and such for comparison.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:23 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

A funny thing about UWA shots are that the extreme corners don't matter that much in most compositions.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Thanks, Jordan - much appreciated!! Those two urban images - how cropped are they?

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

The first one is uncropped, the second one is cropped a fair bit just due to the amount of perspective correction I did in post (the bottom corners are essentially original, but compressed, a lot of the top corners were cropped)

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:06 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

the sky looks very bizarre to me, in the second shot. Not sure what it is?
Had I stuck with M4/3 longer, I am fairly sure the 9-18 would've wound up in my kit.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:29 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

I disagree. When it comes to WA and UWA lenses, corner sharpness matter a lot. To me anyway. Not so much when it comes to longer lenses. As a matter of fact I prefer my longer lenses to have softer corners, as I do a lot of selective focussing. Maybe I am an exception to the rule.

FlyPenFly wrote:
A funny thing about UWA shots are that the extreme corners don't matter that much in most compositions.

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:36 PM
barisaxer
• • •
p.1 #15 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

I must have a good copy my corners are good as soon as you stop down at all. Mine is as good as I could hope. I have had nikons and have a 16-35 i really like so just sold my 14-24 again size and very little difference in my copies. You may want to try another copy if you get a good one you will not give it up.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:08 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

bobbytan wrote:
I disagree. When it comes to WA and UWA lenses, corner sharpness matter a lot. To me anyway. Not so much when it comes to longer lenses. As a matter of fact I prefer my longer lenses to have softer corners, as I do a lot of selective focussing. Maybe I am an exception to the rule.

Unsharp extreme corners are no big deal because in a UWA shot, you usually have quite a lot of subject matter which fills up the center and usually just leading lines are the important subject matter in the corners. Normal viewers aren't drawn to the corners as much. In a 50mm+ landscape, the corners matter a lot because usually your subject will stretch to the edges.

I agree in something like a portrait or yet another trite bokeh dof shot, corners matter not at all.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:21 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Hey Jordan. I did a head-to-head on these two lenses a couple months ago, though it's probably not up to your rigorous standards. I'm writing for a more general audience.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/features/head-to-head-olympus-9-18mm-vs-panasonic-7-14mm

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

bump - would love to see some more images, especially the corners at 100% crops

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:03 PM
ariel777
• •
p.1 #19 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

I've ordered the 9-18mm to be used essentially for LS work, stopped down to 11mm. How is corner sharpness at that setting? At what setting does the issue dissipate?

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Thinking of swapping my Panny 7-14 for an Oly 9-18.

Haven't had a chance to formally test them thoroughly against each other yet, but here are my early conclusions:

Wide open, the 7-14 is clearly superior in sharpness when both are at 9mm. Center sharpness is similar, but the 7-14 is much better on the edges. At f/5.6-f/8, the differences equalize a fair bit. Close up, they are very close, while at further distances, the Panny takes a slightly larger lead in the corners. However, they're not that far apart from what I can see. The 9-18 has much more lateral CA, but it can be 100% corrected with Lightroom's CA tool in one click. The 7-14 has much more purple fringing, and this is harder to correct. The 7-14 at 9mm has less distortion than the 9-18, which shows visible barrel distortion.

This is a quick crop comparison of a flat subject up close (a poster at my desk). Crops from center, edge and corner, both lenses at 9mm and f/5.6. You can see they are very close to the edge, with the 7-14 being sharper in the corner, though the residual PF is visible a little (this is CA corrected on both).

I plan on taking some outdoor comparison shots this afternoon. I'm still very torn on which one to keep. The 7-14 is the better lens optically, at least with regards to sharpness and distortion...and it goes MUCH wider than the 9-18. However, it's also MUCH larger, and I won't bring it as much as the 9-18...and the 9-18 isn't too far off optically, and performs better against high contrast edges and flare, plus avoids the purple blobs issue on the OM-D.

Some other 9-18 images from the other day:

deadwolfbones wrote:
Hey Jordan. I did a head-to-head on these two lenses a couple months ago, though it's probably not up to your rigorous standards. I'm writing for a more general audience.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/features/head-to-head-olympus-9-18mm-vs-panasonic-7-14mm

I actually had read your comparison before doing this. I think you did an excellent job. My final comparison won't be a whole lot different from how you did it, though I'll probably include a few different distances.

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password