Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Last night, I noticed that 2 of my 4 OCF had been set to "slave".

For all I know, this may have been an accidental slip in my haste to set them up. Or maybe it wasn't a coincidence that they were the closest to a guest with a Nikon SU-800 on their body which I can't see any use for unless... (For you Canon peeps, the SU-800 is used as a transmitter for OCF).

In any case, the question isn't whether or not I'm paranoid. The question is- how do you guard against this from happening?

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:47 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

I use cybersyncs and I've never noticed any unauthorized OFC usage.

-Jayson

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:02 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

I really doubt anyone would go up to your OCF on a stand and switch the settings to slave -- ESPECIALLY if they knew how to do it.

At one of my receptions, I noticed my OCF's firing like crazy and realized I had them on slave.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:10 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Never been jacked like that, but this hipster couple asked me to link on one night. They got shot down.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:14 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

DannyBostwick wrote:
Never been jacked like that, but this hipster couple asked me to link on one night. They got shot down.

I'm strangely insulted they even asked.

About prevention, I suppose if you placed your lights up higher on the stand it may be a deterrent to someone changing your settings. Or maybe even just placing a square of gaffer tape over the control buttons and/or LCD.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Thats nuts!

When I'd attend the San Jose Sharks games and I brought my camera I was always tempted to bring my pocket wizard and try to tie into the arena strobes

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:28 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

I can't imagine any other reason to be using the SU800 unless you wanted to be using the flashes. Unless he bought it for the focus assist, but I don't know if its any good on its own...

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:55 PM
joshua grasso
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

wow thats crazy.
Ive definitely thought of doing the same thing Scott. When I used to shoot basketball for my college and sat next to the AP guy with strobes, made picking up a pocket wizard look like a good idea lol.

Jun 16, 2013 at 04:04 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

gotta be a serious uncle bob to do that. Pretty obvious if he had a su-800 on. Did you say anything? In hindsight I bet you thought you should have observed to see if they went while he was shooting....then bust his balls

Jun 16, 2013 at 08:39 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

sboerup wrote:
I can't imagine any other reason to be using the SU800 unless you wanted to be using the flashes. Unless he bought it for the focus assist, but I don't know if its any good on its own...

I have an SU800 and the focus assist works quite well on it. It's pretty much just like using an SB800 or 900 as a commander without the flash. Maybe the intent wasn't sinister after all since there would be no reason to put your light in slave mode. Since the SU as I noted before doesn't send a flash how would it trigger your slaves? I would go back to your other thought, you put it into slave mode and forgot about it.

Jun 16, 2013 at 08:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alohadave
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

SGallant wrote:
I have an SU800 and the focus assist works quite well on it. It's pretty much just like using an SB800 or 900 as a commander without the flash. Maybe the intent wasn't sinister after all since there would be no reason to put your light in slave mode. Since the SU as I noted before doesn't send a flash how would it trigger your slaves? I would go back to your other thought, you put it into slave mode and forgot about it.

The SU-800 uses infrared to talk to flashes. It doesn't send out a visible light. Whether or not the guest changed the setting on the flash, he certainly could use them with the SU-800.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

alohadave wrote:
The SU-800 uses infrared to talk to flashes. It doesn't send out a visible light. Whether or not the guest changed the setting on the flash, he certainly could use them with the SU-800.

Correct, but that signal does not work in slave mode. Remote only. In other words switching to slave mode would do nothing for the SU800.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

You could also use SU-800 for focus assist. But I'm sure they knew they were setting off your flashes if they had an SU-800 to begin with, which is odd

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:10 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Well, now that I'm thinking about it, it may have also been possible that they were using an SB-400, which looks very similar to the SU-800.

If my 24-hour memory serves me right, I think I saw them go off while I didn't even have my camera up to my eyes. Then I saw him holding his camera, and went up to him asking if he was setting them off. There was a language barrier, so I don't know what he said.

Who knows... it is possible that in the rush of setting things up, I put 1/2 of the flashes into Slave Mode. I know that once in the past, I didn't put 3 of the flashes on 1/32 power like I normally do. The LumoPro 160 doesn't remember settings when you turn it off, so it defaults to 1/1 power when you power it back up.

But on the other hand, not all guests play nicely... and yet, even if I had known that he had actually lowered the stands to put them into Slave (they were 10 feet in the air), I'm not sure that it would've been worth causing a scene on a lovely couple's special day.

Reason #103 to charge enough money to pay an assistant!

Edited on Jun 17, 2013 at 01:51 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:37 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Scott Mosher wrote:
Thats nuts!

When I'd attend the San Jose Sharks games and I brought my camera I was always tempted to bring my pocket wizard and try to tie into the arena strobes

I do that in PGH when I go to games. Its kinda funny to see the look on the photographers face when the strobes go off when he is just siting there.

Makes my 28-300 useful in there

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:46 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Lol nick nice...

They using the default channel in an arena?

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:30 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

I remember hearing someone (think it was Dave Hobby) talk about going to the mall and walking by one of the portrait places and setting their strobes off just to watch the kids get weirded out. too funny.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:17 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

joelconner wrote:
I remember hearing someone (think it was Dave Hobby) talk about going to the mall and walking by one of the portrait places and setting their strobes off just to watch the kids get weirded out. too funny.

Yep, he has a blog post about it.

I had a similar opportunity when I was on a cruise ship a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see that they were using PW PlusIII's to trigger their portrait setups. I thought about messing with them, but one of the photographers was really nice and had asked about my camera, so I didn't want to cause her stress for a momentary chuckle.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:35 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

I use Calumet triggers since I started doing OCF. Never met anyone else with those. So, so far I'm hack - proof.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:45 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Has your OCF ever been "HACKED" by a guest?

Once, I had a trip to Magic averns in Springfield, MO. Well, it's a cave. What lighting can you get in a cave!? I bounce and it sends it all over b/c "the ceiling" is not all that flat, etc..Then, they have a nice platform, where they stop the "jeep-train" and then their photog takes a group photo for sale. I noticed, they use Canon speedlights, I thought then, well that's where I'm gonna take nice light for my cave photo. Quickly, I switched to Master flash and sure they were all on IR and did fire. I got well lit (like 5-7 flashes) cave photo...
P.S. I tried that a year later and it didn't work - they must switched to PW...bummer...

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password