Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it ha...

MaxBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

I didn't really think there was such a thing as 3d effect until I put a 1958 Zeiss Sonnar 50mm 1.5 on my NEX7.

The lens will produce a 3d effect with basically everything I point it at.

I think the 3d effect is created by having a very sharp center and soft edges and this duplicates the eye when trying to focus on an object and defocussing on objects that aren't in the same plane as the desired object.

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

I see no 3D there at all. Sorry

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

This is the longest/oldest 3D thread and includes a lot of discussion about why, but just search "3D" in any year and you'll get a couple
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/829238/0?keyword=3d#7701654
I wonder if your downsize routine robbed the image of the 3d'ness because I also don't see any.

Mike

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

3D stands for three dollars, which is what you'll be left with if you get into this 3D business

Edited on Jun 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

Seeing a 3-tree effect!!

Just kidding. Appears to have some 3-d to my eye.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

It's a photo that gives a good sense of depth because of the positioning of the trees, I know that much. I still don't have a clue what "lens 3D" is though.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
snow14
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

SKumar25 wrote:
Seeing a 3-tree effect!!

Just kidding. Appears to have some 3-d to my eye.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

mcbroomf wrote:
This is the longest/oldest 3D thread and includes a lot of discussion about why, but just search "3D" in any year and you'll get a couple
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/829238/0?keyword=3d#7701654
I wonder if your downsize routine robbed the image of the 3d'ness because I also don't see any.

Mike

+1 @ the link. Some missing images these days, but still a bounty of images, dialogue and debate @ what, how & why ... with some of the most prolific imagery for illustration.
+1 @ "modest/marginal" in the image posted.
+1 @ plane variance in perceptions

"3D-ishness" is an illusion in a 2D medium. A study of trompe l'oeil can reveal some insight into the perception aspect as well in other 2D medium. Glass that has varying/changing rates of transition in different zones of the image seem to produce the effect the most, when the object placements correspond with those zones. Learning distance/zone relationships for a given lens as such will garner optimal results.

Zeiss tends to make some glass with these changing transition rates (and micro-contrast) a bit more than other mfrs, but they are certainly not the only one to do so. There are other factors involved, but from a gear standpoint, lens design (not mfr) and alignment of zones/planes/objects, as well as focus placement are usually key components. Tonal values and hues can play a part in it as well.

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:23 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

Could be once I got my mind 'set' that it's 3d it's dominant for me - a kind of Baader-Meinhof syndrome - but I can't not see the 3d effect with this lens.

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 02:49 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:44 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

Where I first heard of 3d effect - http://forum.mflenses.com/3d-effect-t13716,start,60.html

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/983034

r-)

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:51 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

I don't pretend to understand 3-D effect, but it is something you sense in the picture. It goes beyond depth of field. Just as I sense that some pictures have 3-D, I sense that some lenses give flat images no matter the settings, they come out looking like photocopies.

This image was taken with an old Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm on a NEX. It is a relatively inexpensive lens but it has its own look. I am going to call it 3-D for lack of a better term.

Edited on Jun 16, 2013 at 04:23 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

MaxBerlin wrote:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/9058858068_79e67b7f54_b.jpg
3d Effect Zeiss 50mm Sonnar 1.5_ by Zeissgeist, on Flickr

More than the OP, but notice how the tree is not in focus above/below ... which is in the same plane as the area in focus. Also, notice how the ground behind the tree seems to be more in focus than the base of the tree. Just something to be cognizant of @ deciding where to place subject/focus distances for this given lens.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:02 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

The old big 3D thread is a good read, but now archived and locked... so this is as good a place as any to keep the discussion rolling.

My analysis of MaxBerlin's first picture: not extremely 3D, but I do immediately get a sense of the front/right tree being in front, which I think comes from a combination of:
* Depth-of-field cues, with the front tree slightly defocused relative to the center, visually separating it from the sharper grass/fence background
* Perspective cues, with the front tree being larger in the image, and
* Context, with the fence line cutting in front and behind of the other trees to clarify the spatial logic of the scene

I don't agree that soft corners (which "duplicates the eye") is especially helpful to 3D-ness: viewing a flat image, my own eye supplies the necessary "natural" softening of the field of view outside what I'm directly looking at. What my eye cannot do is create 3D focus transitions, so these need to be "baked into" the image in a visually convincing way. In this example, the diminishing corner sharpness is detrimental to the 3D-ness (in my opinion): where the front tree meets the bottom of the frame, the image turns "flat" as the obvious lens aberrations interfere with realism. Similarly in the top left section, where the image becomes an unintelligible mess.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:12 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

Rusty, you see that correctly but this may be part of that lenses 'charm' degradation in both sagittal and tangential planes. I'm 6'4" and was shooting at a downward angle to the point of focus at f5.6. Thus the center trunk in focus and the grass directly behind it doing OK but the rest going fuzzy.

There were some other issues (alignment and centering) with the adapter but I hope to have it back soon to make more test shots.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:23 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

In MaxBerlin's second example, the edge sharpness falloff is again (in my opinion) not directly creating the 3D-ness in the image. What it is doing is excluding a wide frame around the image from even trying to look 3D --- a similar effect could be produced by simply cropping the image down to the central region (though that would make the image less interesting --- the blurred areas are not "3D," but definitely compositionally important).

In the central region, the lens is producing nice "pop" separating the subject from the background; the very simplest element of 3D. However, the background itself is entirely "flat": I see no spatial distinction that distinguishes the background from a flat abstract backdrop hanging vertically a couple feet behind the tree, versus a perspective receding into the far distance. This is where a lens that can produce 3D effects even with much more extended depth-of-field can help to extend the 3D space in the background.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:24 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

rsrsrs link to that thread has a nice example of 3d in that cow pic (imho). There's also tons in the M8/M9 thread and I remember some nice poppy portraits from Dubaiphil in the Zeiss ZE ZF ZK thread. I'd have to dig around to find it though.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:39 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

My $199 3-D Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens. The bokeh looks funky and doctored in this photo but it wasn't modified in PP.

And here's the 100mm Canon FD f/2.8 on a NEX-5N:

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:40 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

Ok here's the posts for some of those portraits he posted. I hope he doesn't mind me posting the links

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:50 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 3D effect! Let's see your best photo - discuss how it happens.

Snapsy that leaf is definitely 3d. As a viewer I feel tempted to reach out and catch it. It almost comes out of the screen at you.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:58 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password