Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Channel Island Advice

ghdarnell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Channel Island Advice

I have one day set aside to visit the Islands. Which one would you recommend photographically?

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:22 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Channel Island Advice

Even though there are some awesome coves, beaches and bluffs in the islands, I would skip them as photography subjects for a day and just enjoy the trip. If you get some nice images out of it then great.

But I would much rather head north into Big Sur or at least to Morro Bay and San Simeon. Stunning scenery up there!

Be aware that there is quite a bit of fog this time of year but that ads to the drama!

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:25 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Channel Island Advice

Sneakyracer wrote:
Even though there are some awesome coves, beaches and bluffs in the islands, I would skip them as photography subjects for a day and just enjoy the trip. If you get some nice images out of it then great.

But I would much rather head north into Big Sur or at least to Morro Bay and San Simeon. Stunning scenery up there!

Be aware that there is quite a bit of fog this time of year but that ads to the drama!

The next day we are spending the whole day and night in Big Sur, then a day and night in Monterey, then San Fran! We are driving from California to PA

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Channel Island Advice

The best photo spots are a short drive away from Big Sur and Monterrey. Both are great to use as a base for photography. Monterrey is closer to Carmel and the Point Lobos area (stunning, worthy of multiple visits), Carmel Beach and the famous 17 mile drive (do not miss the Lone Cypress and Ghost Tree). Keep in mind the entrance to Point Lobos closes at 6pm or 6:30pm and all cars have to be out by 7pm so no sunset shots this time of year . The fog has been extremely persistent up and down the coast. It is somewhat frustrating since you can have sun just painting Carmel Beach and only a mile away in Point Lobos it will be fully overcast.

Garrapata State park is also a must. Gate 4, 5 and 7 are great. Do not miss. They are best late afternoon to dusk.

Further south the Bixby bridge is world famous but I personally prefer the Granite Canyon Bridge further north. There was no one there on the same day the Bixby bridge was a zoo. The G C B has better shots of the rocks below and the ocean.

Most spots are best in the afternoon. That is why I recommend at least 3 nights in the area preferably 4-5. The pacific grove area in Monterrey is one of the few places really good in the mornings because it faces NE which is rare in the Cali Coast.

have fun!

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:03 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #5 · Channel Island Advice

Regarding the Channel Islands, it depends on what kind of access you get. All the islands except Catalina have very limited access and only with licensed operators. The other islands are also very undeveloped. Check with your tour operator for things like the following:
1. How much time you have on the island? (Varies by island.)
2. In the time available, can you easily hike from the landing location to viewing locations at higher elevations? Is there other transportation available from the landing location?
3. Where is the landing location on the island? The islands are large. Check a map of the location and an ephemeris to see if you will be getting decent light angles on your relatively short visit there.
4. What is the likelihood of good, close, wildlife viewing where you will be going? Nesting seabirds? Bald Eagles? Island Foxes?

One day is not much on the undeveloped islands. As the others suggested, your photo time may be better spent on the mainland coast at the locations they have suggested. Also, check the Elephant Seal internet sites to see if those animals will be ashore to moult during this time of year. The beach near San Simeon/Cambria is very accessible on a boardwalk that allows you to get legally close to the animals without disturbing them.

---John

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 06:37 PM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:33 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Channel Island Advice

Sneakyracer wrote:

I agree totally with this comment. This is me personally, but I have never really seen anything from the Channel Islands that excited me photographically. They are totally different from say Catalina Island. This is just me, but I would skip it and spend that day else where to shoot. Unless there is something specific you have seen and have in mind?

Jim

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password