Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · skipping the D600?

Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · skipping the D600?

I quite surprised no one has mentioned what I think might be the best choice of all for you--a Nikon 24mm PCE. I would bet real money you've never shot large format before, and have absolutely no idea what lens movements would do for you. For this reason, I still prefer to shoot landscapes with 4x5. The step up from a conventional lens like the 14-24mm to a tilt/shift lens is huge for landscapes. It will literally add a whole new dimension to your images.

Kent in SD

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:50 PM
brunobarolo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · skipping the D600?

Dustin Gent wrote:
Would you get the 14-24 and use it with the D700 or get the D800E and use the Samyang 14mm?

With the D800 you could also use 1.2x crop mode and have a 17mm equivalent lens (with 25mp) or the 1.5x crop mode and have a 21mm equivalent (with 16mp).

Just a thought...

Jun 16, 2013 at 09:02 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · skipping the D600?

I can't speak to the D700 directly but I just upgraded from the D7000 and am extremely happy that I did. The improvement in detail is great but also the amount of processing that can be done in terms of color and look and dynamic range while still retaining a sense of realism is very impressive to me. I would find it very hard to go back to my old camera.

Instead of spending close to 2,000 on a lens that isn't that different from you current lens that you seem pretty happy with consider spending a lessor amount and pick some of the well rated primes like the 50 1.8 or 85 1.8 (or the samyang 35) to give you a completely different focal length without spending a huge amount. You can always sell them for only a small loss later if you feel like you need the more expensive zooms or you are not happy with them. That is the way I went and so far it is working out great. I also picked up the new 18-35 nikon which while not as sharp as the primes I have seems good enough so far and was relatively inexpensive and very light weight which is important to me. Good luck with the decision. Brian

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · skipping the D600?

Dang Dustin - your shots are stunning!

Honestly, the next stop for someone like you is to the D800, not the D600. If you're used to the way the D700 handles, the D600 might not be much fun.

I think you know this, but glass is always a better investment unless there is something you're seeing in your D700 that is limiting you.

I'm no pro, but if you're not earning money with shots like those you should be!! It doesn't take too many limited edition prints in a local shop to equal the upgrade to a D800, so my vote would be glass now and make it work to earn you a D800.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Ghostinz
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · skipping the D600?

just curious what the last shot was taken with. Great stuff! how much PP are you needing to do with the setup. Are these HDR shots?

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:13 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · skipping the D600?

Thanks everyone! The suggestions/advice has got me thinking, and I think I might be better off getting another samyang lens (24mm or 35mm - haven't decided yet..) and maybe even getting the D600 - I looked at the DXO test results with the various lenses, and crazy enough, the 14mm IS MUCH better paired with the new sensor.

I just HATE losing money - and can't see myself spending $2200+ on a camera when it will be worth $1700 next year (I don't buy and sell bodies too much, but still take this into account when buying ).

Now I just need to see if the $100-200 is worth it to upgrade to the D600 when that would pay for half a new lens, lol.

M635_Guy, thanks for the kind words

Ghostinz, that shot was probably a once in a lifetime shot lol. It was taken with a Canon 1Ds and old Tokina 17mm 3.5 RMC SL lens that was in Nikon Mount. It is no HDR, and a single image.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:14 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · skipping the D600?

Dustin - great captures! Seeing your work, it's definitely either a D600 or a D800. I went from D700 to D600 and the DR and resolution were "game changer" for landscapes. Although a few things annoyed me with the D600 - mainly ergonomics, the absence of VF shutter (for long exp) and lack of meter bar on top LCD. These bothered me so I sold mine and went with the D800. If you can live with these "issues" then go ahead with the D600, it's a fantastic body for landscapes! Actually I miss the D600 and I might get another one as backup.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Uzay
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · skipping the D600?

kentvinyard wrote:
Dustin,
those are magnificent shots. something tells me you could make any camera tick.
I am trying to make a decision similar to yours---good luck with your choice.

i completely agree

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM
dalegaspi
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · skipping the D600?

Two23 wrote:
I quite surprised no one has mentioned what I think might be the best choice of all for you--a Nikon 24mm PCE. I would bet real money you've never shot large format before, and have absolutely no idea what lens movements would do for you. For this reason, I still prefer to shoot landscapes with 4x5. The step up from a conventional lens like the 14-24mm to a tilt/shift lens is huge for landscapes. It will literally add a whole new dimension to your images.

Kent in SD

+1

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · skipping the D600?

Dustin Gent wrote:
...I just HATE losing money - and can't see myself spending $2200+ on a camera when it will be worth $1700 next year (I don't buy and sell bodies too much, but still take this into account when buying ).

Wrong hobby then! Especially if you like gear. No one likes it, but the camera is not an investment, it's an expense.

Honestly, for you with the landscape shots, the D800 or D800e is the way to go. It was made for landscapes, super fine detail, superior dynamic range. It's a workhorse.

Have you read Thom Hogan's "The tip of the iceberg?" It would put the body purchase in perspective. It's a little dated now but still holds true.

Get the body, start using it. Then gradually start acquiring the lenses. Set acquisition goals: 14-24mm, 24 pc-e... You can't buy it all overnight, it's a lifetime hobby.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:33 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · skipping the D600?

Dustin Gent wrote:
I just HATE losing money - and can't see myself spending $2200+ on a camera when it will be worth $1700 next year (I don't buy and sell bodies too much, but still take this into account when buying ).

Now I just need to see if the $100-200 is worth it to upgrade to the D600 when that would pay for half a new lens, lol.

So, why not buy a mint used one for $1600? Mine should be for sale soon.
But, be sure to get "Hands On" before you do that.
I don't want it back when you learn that you hate the grip or controls.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:44 PM
ReyGay
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · skipping the D600?

Get a D3X and the Nikkor 14-24mm . I tried that combo and while I was impressed with the amount of detail and sharpness on the 14-24, I liked the colours more on the 17-35mm and the latter has a 3Dish feel to it while the 14-24 doesn't have that colour pop but it's sharp as hell. Also, the way you shoot, you definitely deserve a D3X. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:13 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · skipping the D600?

Sounds to me like you might be over-analyzing things D. Look at it this way - if you can say for sure the camera is impinging on your ability to get the shots you want, then upgrade the camera. If having another lens (or two) would lead you to get better shots than a new body, then invest in glass. If I were in your shoes, I definitely wouldn't be thinking of getting the 14-24 when the Sammy 14 is nearly as good (for 1/6 the price), I'd definitely be looking at something longer. YMMV of course.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · skipping the D600?

RRRoger wrote:
I don't want it back when you learn that you hate the grip or controls.

Oh, the "joy" of selling used items online in a world where no gear is any good.

Jun 18, 2013 at 04:04 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password