New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

Arejukas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

This my first post here, and I thought I should add a little verbiage to provide context for the photo.

It took me a while to find a good workflow for using the 75-300 M.Zuiko lens on my OMD for wildlife shots, especially in lower light situations. Although I am not keen on pushing this sensor above ISO 400, it seems to be kind of a must with this lens in anything but extremely bright sunlight.

Until a few years ago, my kit for nature photography was an ancient Nikon F3 and a Vivitar Series 1 75-210mm zoom (with or without a tele-extender), and I have to say the OMD has turned out to be a very pleasant entry into the digital era for me.

Here's an image that shows off the subtler end of the EM-5's color rendering capabilities. It was taken a little before sunset with the light glancing off the waveless surface at the Berkeley Aquatic Park. It doesn't give you a feel for the focus isolation and bokeh capabilities of the lens – I'll save that for another day.

http://gerafotografija.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/61200621.jpg

I had to do some hopefully subtle NR in Photoshop (with my preferred plug-in, Topaz deNoise) to not lose too much detail on the backlit egret. It sort of amazes me that this shot was even possible at 600mm equivalent focal length.

Overall, I was happy with the timing and glad I managed to capture this moment. I'd appreciate any tips other folks on this forum have for increasing the hit rate with fast moving wildlife using this kit.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

Nice catch for you. I wonder did the egret fare as well ?

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Arejukas

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

He was doing pretty well – I have a few less interesting shots of him with minnows hanging from his beek.

Thanks for the reply!

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:00 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

NIce back-lit shot, I like it

Sorry I can't suggest any tips to hit fast-moving wildlife, as CDAF cameras aren't that great at doing so (for the most part), but you might try googling something like "Improve OMD AF-C performance", as I believe some people were having a bit more luck in certain situations with certain settings (I've read before but can't remember where...maybe here at FM?)

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:02 PM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

Try this thread for OMD AF-C performance improvement:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1154794

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:34 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

CalW wrote:
Try this thread for OMD AF-C performance improvement:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1154794

Cal,

Checked the other thread. Much useful information there. I had foolishly assumed that coming from a 1D series background that I'd not have much trouble adapting to the OM-D. Oly not only doesn't provide a full paper manual (saved themselves about $0.79 USD that way ), what they do offer makes Canon's manuals read like deathless prose. Truly awkward writing, terms undefined, worthless index, etc. There are 10,000s of people in both Japan and any other English speaking country that could have done an excellent translation.

Have you discovered any other sources that have systematically examined and explained the OM-D settings? Oly's web site is worthless and I've not had much luck so far. Simple example, I set my focus point to dead center and at a small size but it always defaults to full size one click above center. Maddening.

Thanks for any clues,

Robert

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

Robert, with input and help from several other FM folk, I compiled a bunch of tips on settings and use in the following thread:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1144967/0

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Arejukas

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

Nice to see there is a compilation of OMD advice thread.

In a way this points to a main reason I am spending more time with a Fuji camera lately – the controls are all just were they should be, I don't have to pull away from the VF or even think about how to configure it. The Oly is super configurable and generates really good images, but it feels less intuitive in action.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:28 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A decisive egret moment with the OM-D and M.Zuiko 75-300

Arejukas wrote:
Nice to see there is a compilation of OMD advice thread.

In a way this points to a main reason I am spending more time with a Fuji camera lately – the controls are all just were they should be, I don't have to pull away from the VF or even think about how to configure it. The Oly is super configurable and generates really good images, but it feels less intuitive in action.

Can't comment on the Fuji as I've never even seen one. (Though they are certainly luscious looking cams.) As for "intuitive" that's a bit of a slippery slope. When I first encountered a 1DIIn I was utterly befuddled with the "press two buttons spin the back dial while standing on left foot" interface. Canon did provide a terse but functional, well indexed paper manual. Over time I realized that I could control everything thru a "tactile interface" that didn't require me to remove my eye from the view finder. Found it to be real powerful.

Olympus for whatever reason saved themselves a buck-25 with no manual and the electronic one was clearly not written by a competent technical writer. (I speak with some authority having taught tech writing at an engine school for some time.) Thus the OM-D has proved more challenging that I'd expected.

Cal and others are filling in a lot of the missing or obscure detail and as I use the camera more it becomes "intuitive". I think that all of the key controls can be laid out such that one doesn't have to consult the screen to adapt the camera to the view. Still, I'm stuck on some simple things like there are these Mysetting things. Sounds great. Could set one up to do say HDR. Problem is after I define one I can't turn it off without deleting it. Obviously not how it's designed but still haven't figured that secret out yet.

OTOH, the OM-D with the Pany 12-35 has made my design goal for it: goes everywhere with me and really can create nice images.

Robert

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:45 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.