Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Canon flash - can't change FEC

gore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon flash - can't change FEC

Hello!

I'm not a noob but now it happens second time, that I can't change FEC (flash exposure compensation) on flash unit. Why?
At that time, I also can't change to H(igh speed). At I noticed that there is TTL written on flash unit. Now, I'm at home and try to reproduce the behavior, but now I see ETTL and I can change FEC and H.

I use Canon 5D mark II and 580EX (classic :-)).
Any idea or did I maybe just overlook something obviously on hot sun?

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:55 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon flash - can't change FEC

gore wrote:
...I noticed that there is TTL written on flash unit. Now, I'm at home and try to reproduce the behavior, but now I see ETTL...

Was the 580EX mounted on a camera at the time? If I recall correctly, that kind of problem can happen if the flash isn't firmly seated in the hot shoe, if the contacts on the flash foot or camera shoe are dirty, or if there is a loose connection in either the foot or the shoe. The flash essentially thinks it's mounted to an older camera model that doesn't support ETTL.

Edited on Jun 16, 2013 at 01:39 AM · View previous versions

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:19 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon flash - can't change FEC

TTL is the legacy mode for film bodies. I've never experienced that automatic / unwanted switch to TTL with my 580EX or heard of it happening on the older 580EX model. Can you change the mode using the Mode button to ETTL? That should fix the problem.

Switching into TTL mode randomly was a problem with the early copies of the 580EX II model, which can be controlled via camera menus. As Brian mentioned poor contact in the hot shoe can cause them to switch into TTL unexpectedly and cause full power flashes. The problem in the 580EX II was remedied by Canon with re-design of the pins from rounded to pointy so they would make better contact.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gore
• •
p.1 #4 · Canon flash - can't change FEC

Thx to both of you. I will check contact in the hot shoe.

The flash was on camera all the time. And I can't change from TTL to ETTL ... so I think you are right, that contacts can be a problem.

Jun 16, 2013 at 06:09 AM
SeedyBee

p.1 #5 · Canon flash - can't change FEC

Make sure that the 580EX hot-foot is firmly pressed forward; the rear pins should not be visible underneath.

Otherwise, clean all 5 pins and pads in the shoe/foot.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:31 AM
gore
• •
p.1 #6 · Canon flash - can't change FEC

Tnx. I will try it ... when time ...

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:40 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password