Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Weird dust particles on the Leica sensor??

aCIDfire
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weird dust particles on the Leica sensor??

Iīd like to ask what do you think about these "unusual" particles on the Leica S2 sensor, are they dust particles, some defect on sensor? Images bellow are from Leica S2 camera which Iīam going to buy from one FM member. Cropped 100% from DNG file. He tried to clean the sensor with sensor swabs and the dots are still there after using 3 sensor swabs. Maybe really small dust that's very stuck?? They look different from other dust particles but I donīt think they could be some defects on the sensor, Leica has very tight output quality control so the sensor would not go out from factory? What do you think? Camera is almost in new condition with about 1400 auctuations but used&without warranty.

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weird dust particles on the Leica sensor??

Leica sensors accumulate dust specks just like every other D-SLR. The one particular spot you're pointing to looks more like oil than dust and the cleaning that was done may not have been performed adequately. Just because he used 3 swabs doesn't mean he knew what he was doing. I agree the spot is not a defect in the sensor, just oil or very stuck-on dust. I'd say it is safe to buy with a disclaimer that if the spot cannot be removed, the seller will give you a refund, which is reasonable in my view.

Good luck,
Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM
aCIDfire
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Weird dust particles on the Leica sensor??

But I donīt know where oil drops (not only the big one in lower right corner of the image) come from in almost new camera. When he looks at the sensor closely under a light, he don't see these particles on the sensor surface. The sensor literally looks perfect when examining under a film loupe.

2Nickle S.: Which sensor cleaning swabs&fluid would you recommend to use?

Jun 15, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Weird dust particles on the Leica sensor??

aCIDfire wrote:
But I donīt know where oil drops (not only the big one in lower right corner of the image) come from in almost new camera. When he looks at the sensor closely under a light, he don't see these particles on the sensor surface. The sensor literally looks perfect when examining under a film loupe.

2Nickle S.:
Which sensor cleaning swabs&fluid would you recommend to use?

Oil comes from the moving parts including the shutter blades, even in brand new cameras.

Film loupes may or may not be adequate for seeing what's on the sensor's surface, that's why you need a dedicated sensor magnifier to know for sure what's actually there. But even with that, some oil/lubricant is very hard to see compared to common dust specks. A wet-cleaning with a solvent like Eclipse will remove all dust and oil spots, though it may take several swabbings.

Everyone here knows my company sells sensor cleaning materials, the only 2 other companies I would recommend are Photographic Solutions and VisibleDust. Stay away from all the rest, they are a complete waste of money.

Nicholas

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:07 PM
aCIDfire
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Weird dust particles on the Leica sensor??

Thank you Nicholas for answer. In the past I used Photosol Sensor SWABs on my D700, but it wasnīt 100% successful solution. Now I see that VisibleDust (http://www.visibledust.com/WetCleaningManual.php) is using several liquids to remove dust&oil particles. One guy in this topic (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-s2-forum/129923-sensor-cleaning.html) scratch his S2 sensor (glass cover) with plastic spatula of Sensor SWAB (there is no material on the thin side of the spatula) so VisibleDust would be better solution.

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password