Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Squeaking 200-400VR

gugs
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Squeaking 200-400VR

A few weeks ago I used my 200-400VR and it started to make strange and worrying squeaking sounds while focusing. I was wondering if my lens was due for an AF-S motor replacement, but I did nothing. I had an assignment beginning of the month and I took both the 80-400VR AF-S and the Sigma 120-300 OS as backups. The first day the squeaking sound was still there and after a few hours it totally disappeared, I then shot more than 1500 pics with the lens without a single issue or strange sound.
Has everyone ever experienced something like that ? could it be that a kind of 'lubricant' moved back into place because the temperature was higher (those have been the first real warm sunny days this year) ?

Anyway, I am happy that the 200-400VR seems back to normal, but should I have it serviced ?
BTW I also used my backups from time to time, and both delivered really excellent pictures.

Guy

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:43 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Squeaking 200-400VR

Guy, from what I can tell this is a common problem with some earlier models -- I experienced the same thing with my 200-400VRI and 200/2. The squeaking wasn't continuous and often occurred after sitting for a while...giving the impression that it is "lubricant" oriented.

Bottom line is that both lenses were sent in to Nikon Canada for servicing, specifically for the "squeaking" issue, and both were returned with a clean bill of health...and they still squeaked.

Whether Nikon simply didn't want to replace the AF-S motor or whether there really isn't a problem, I can't say. I used them for a while with no issues but eventually sold both.

From my research on the issue, what I think is that in most cases the squeaking isn't a sign of imminent failure unless perhaps it starts to squeak continuously. I suspect Nikon knows exactly what the problem is and quietly made a mid-model change in the AF-S assembly, but of course we'll never hear about it.

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts occurring more frequently.

Cheers!

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #3 · Squeaking 200-400VR

gugs wrote:
A few weeks ago I used my 200-400VR and it started to make strange and worrying squeaking sounds while focusing. I was wondering if my lens was due for an AF-S motor replacement, but I did nothing. I had an assignment beginning of the month and I took both the 80-400VR AF-S and the Sigma 120-300 OS as backups. The first day the squeaking sound was still there and after a few hours it totally disappeared, I then shot more than 1500 pics with the lens without a single issue or strange sound.
Has everyone ever experienced something like that
...Show more

If the lens sat unused for a bit then it will do that, that's what mine did. I never sent it in, it worked fine.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gugs
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Squeaking 200-400VR

Many thanks to both of you. I guess I'll keep using the lens and stop worrying.

Guy

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:42 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Squeaking 200-400VR

Indeed, I have a lens that occasionally makes the squeak if its been sitting for a while. Been going on for over a year now. No complaints

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #6 · Squeaking 200-400VR

2 years ago, I had to repair my 200-400 VRI lens when the AF would get stuck. The lens had been making a noisy, squeaking sound while autofocusing for about 6-months prior to AF sticking issues. Eventually the AF motor would just get stuck, but would resume operation if I manually adjusted the focus ring.

Nikon - El Segundo repaired the lens for $390 and I had it back within 3-weeks from when I sent it in. This was the description of the work performed:

- Replaced Rubber Ring (Zoom operation ring - this was a bit discolored and sloppy fitting)
- Replaced Lens Bayonet Mount
- Replaced Lens Signal Pin
- Adjusted Auto Focus Operation
- Cleaned and Checked to Manufacturer's Specification

The lens operation was significantly improved once it was returned to me.

Jun 18, 2013 at 05:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password