Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Scott Kroeker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

On Monday a small but powerful storm, bringing hail and strong winds, rolled through the area here. I was tracking it with online weather radar and saw it was just going to miss my town. I also knew it could create great conditions for photos. Knowing the direction the storm was moving I had a few favourite places in mind to shoot. When I stepped out of my house the edge of the storm was overhead and it was quite dark out. I hit the road in search of the light. I managed to drive out in front of the storm and watched as the sun reappeared. This gave me an idea for a photo at one of the places I had in mind. So I headed to this old 26 Chevy that for who knows what reason was left in the middle of a field. Though it is only a couple dozen yards from a dirt road, that road had only been built a few years back and no one lives on it. So this gem is not known by many. I do not share it's location. I got there just in time to set up and shoot. Had I showed up 10 minutes later it would have been too late. Which is great as my other location idea was another 40min away and I didn't know if I would have enough gas to get there and back home.

Extinguishing Sun

---

Recently I posted a couple of threads (colour|bw) from a 2 day exploration of old and abandoned things. I got a slew of images and a bunch I still haven't processed yet. One of the highlights of the trip was finding these three old beauties! So many photo possibilities here but it was behind a fence. LUCKILY, the owner's son just happened to be driving by on a dirt bike as I found the place. I waved him over and he said it would be no problem if I took some photos. Even told me of a place you can barely make out viewing through a 200mm lens on crop but I would have had to drive through a cow pasture, with cows, to get to it. Maybe next time. Anyway, I actually found this place several hours before sunset. So I took some daytime shots and went back to exploring for other locations knowing I'd be back there for the sunset. I was really hoping for a more dramatic sky but at least I got a bit of clouds. I took a few panoramas and this one so far is my favourite. Hope you enjoy as well!

Retired & Lovin' It

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:18 AM
paul lorenz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Nice comps. Waiting for the sun adds something to the first one. Well done!

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:25 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Excellent work. Like most good things, this will not be a secret place for long. Jim

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Great sky in #1, but the comp of #2 is very nice. The distant barn positioned between the vehicle and the grasses growing out of the frame of the one car all make for a interesting comp. Nicely seen

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:18 PM
rxgolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Hi Scott!
I REALLY like both of these. Not only a great spot found with your eyes, but wonderful execution too!!
Great work,
Greg

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Scott, I cannot see your entire photograph on the screen of my laptop...

Dan

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Thank you all very much!

gdanmitchell wrote:
Scott, I cannot see your entire photograph on the screen of my laptop...

Dan

Dan, if you're on a PC use CTRL and "+" or "-" to zoom in an out. On a Mac I am not sure which command key to use but would think it would be similar. Or if someone else knows and can chime in.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:09 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

both are very nice Scott

Jun 16, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Thank you all very much!

Dan, if you're on a PC use CTRL and "+" or "-" to zoom in an out. On a Mac I am not sure which command key to use but would think it would be similar. Or if someone else knows and can chime in.

Mac is Command with + or -

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Nice chase and capture of the light Scott and retired sounds like the right tool to do what you are doing
Impressive sky in #1 and a nice look at it.

I sure like the comp on #2, kind of zig-zag meander through the old relics and a casual stroll to the old barn and source of light. I really like the balance and feel in this and the capture of the warm reflected light of the old car center image.

Karl

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CW100
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

I also like the composition on the second

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Love the second image. The multiple cars really add to the scene.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #13 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

That first one with the light rays is wonderful. I like the second one a lot too, especially with the door of the closest car flung open and the little tree sprouting up through its engine area. I'm a big fan of scenes where nature is getting the upper hand over manmade elements, and these are two great examples of it.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Stunning captures! I especially like the first because of the light shooting over the cloud, and the wonderful calm and soft light that's falling over the car. The panoramic aspect ratios are great for this.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:18 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Beautiful shots !

Birdie

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Thank you all very much!

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Karl Witt wrote:
Nice chase and capture of the light Scott and retired sounds like the right tool to do what you are doing
Impressive sky in #1 and a nice look at it.

I sure like the comp on #2, kind of zig-zag meander through the old relics and a casual stroll to the old barn and source of light. I really like the balance and feel in this and the capture of the warm reflected light of the old car center image.

Karl

Thank you Karl! I wish I WAS retired! That being said, my line of work (self employed real estate photographer/graphic designer) I have a very flexible schedule.

I do my best, on site, to get the composition right in my head by panning many times back and forth but it is always different once you have finally stitched all the images together and can see the whole picture. Sometimes I do not like the whole picture but rather the individual elements and sometimes the individual elements lack interest by themselves making a panorama the right choice. That being said, I love panoramas and do my best to shoot them when the right elements are in front of me. Even though I am very happy with the shots I got of these cars individually, I MUCH prefer the pano in #2.

And thank you for the Mac version commands for zooming in an out!

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Phrasikleia wrote:
That first one with the light rays is wonderful. I like the second one a lot too, especially with the door of the closest car flung open and the little tree sprouting up through its engine area. I'm a big fan of scenes where nature is getting the upper hand over manmade elements, and these are two great examples of it.

Thank you Phrasikleia! Phras for short?

We share the same appreciation for nature taking over. Take an old steel wheeled tractor from the early 1900s. These things are MONSTERS but given enough time, will completely rust away to dust and disappear like they never existed. During that process they make, for me anyway, great and favourable subjects to shoot! Some like shiny restored showroom cars I prefer dented and rusty. The more warped and rusty the better!

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

The scenes are great in themselves; but your timing, execution and skills make them perfect.

Bart

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:56 AM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Extinguishing Sun | Retired & Lovin' It

Superb images and compositions, Scott, as always. Wonderful find. Man and Nature.

Bob

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password