Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Dale_A
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 lens? I am on an extremely tight budget and would like a 85mm lens for wedding and portrait work, but I have very little info on this lens. I would greatly appreciate any input on this subject.

Regards,

Dale A

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:19 AM
pmiller228

p.1 #2 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Here's a professional review, although from Flickr examples I've seen it seems to be better than their results would suggest in real life if you get a good copy.

This lens goes under a few names, rokinon/bower/samyang - they are all the same.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/483-samyang_85_14_5d

IMO I think manual focusing an 85mm @ f2.8 or less at a wedding would not end well, but that's just me and I'm not great at mf.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

It's an excellent lens.

I prefer to use it with LiveView focus, which is out for you, if your profile with 20D and 10D is up to date. I generally have no problem focusing it on a full frame camera, but it'll be really dicey on a 1.6x CF body. You might get away with a third-party focus screen on the 20D (I vaguely recall the names Haoda and Katz Eye...).

Here's some old threads that compare the Rokinon with some much more expensive lenses,

[85mm bokeh & detail images] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/952008/0&year=2010#9001461
[best 85 Alt] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/987267/0
[Rokinon 85/1.4 (sample pics)] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/941350

Generally, the more expensive lenses are sharper away from the centre at wider apertures, but the difference gets smaller at smaller apertures. The Rokinon generally has the best bokeh at wide apertures and definitely handles 'harsh' OOF backgrounds very well.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

I've been well pleased with mine, but i wouldn't recommend it on any camera that doesn't have a big bright viewfinder and a sensitive focus screen. Also, i needed to get shims for my EE-S screen (on 5D) and spend an afternoon calibrating the focus screen to solve a general front focusing problem.

Note that there is no electronic aperture linkage on these, so you need to do stop down metering - i.e. you need to focus at whatever aperture you are going to shoot at, or focus wide open then manually stop down and shoot.

Much as i like mine, i have to be honest and say i don't think it would make a great lens for professional wedding work because of the slow handling. For studio-based portraits maybe it would be better, but it has a minimum focus distance of about 1m, which limits close-up shooting (full frame head shots etc).

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Dale_A
• •
p.1 #5 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Thanks to ALL for your input, now I'll have to do more research and decide to purchase, or not. I'd really like to get ahold of the canon 85mm F1.2 but that's way out of my price range for the moment.

Regards,

Dale A

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • •
p.1 #6 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

sharpest lens I own, love it.

hard to focus with a dim viewfinder, awesome on FX bodies, but as stated above, you will have to be very good at using the focus assist on your body (and fine tune that to make sure it's on the money). Things will look in focus in the viewfinder when in fact they are not.

never shot protraits with it, but the DOF is razor thin at f/1.4

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #7 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Shooting anything moving unpredictably with an 85mm at 1.4 in manual focus is a recipe for disaster on any DSLR body. You need a split image and viewing screen designed for manual focus. DSLRs only show your depth of field down to about f/2.5 as well, so you don't know what the DOF is really like at 1.4 until after you shoot the photo (unless in live view).

I'd strongly recommend going with an autofocus 85mm 1.8 instead until you can afford an AF 85 1.2 or 1.4. Both the 85 1.8s from Canon and Nikon are known for being sharp and fast focusing.

Jun 16, 2013 at 04:26 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

I am going to suggest an autofocus 85 f1.8 lens also. You may find you never need the f1.4.

Jun 23, 2013 at 05:20 PM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.1 #9 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Used 85mm. If your Nikon you can even try to get a D version to save money.

Wedding and lack of AF wouldn't be on top of my list YMMV.

Jun 30, 2013 at 09:05 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Rokinon 85mm 1.4

+1 to AF for weddings, unless you're not the "paid" photog. The 85 1.8g isn't much more expensive and is perfect for portrait & weddings.

Jun 30, 2013 at 09:47 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password