Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Can strobes match Profoto with similar modifiers?

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can strobes match Profoto with similar modifiers?

Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying the Profoto AcuteB2 600Ws AirS LiFe Power Pack plus Profoto beauty dish(and grid). (about $2500-$3000 including free light).

I've seen Kacey etc. beauty dishes that can use Nikon/Canon strobes. If you ignore power output and recycle time, have any of you tested the light quality of strobe powered beauty dishes and other modifiers compared to Profoto or other top brands?

I hear that light is light but the difference is the modifiers, especially from Profoto, really make the light shine. I've used a lot of smaller, off-brand softboxes(a 24" chinese made joe mcnally knockoff from bh) that allow me to work fast and without an assistant on many daily assignments. I also use photek softliter(46"), a 18" home made beauty dish, and a variety of umbrellas.

While the light is decent I feel like the Profoto would give a better qualtity of light through the modifiers. Have you seen a big difference in the quality of light using strobe vs. Profoto(and other brands).

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:40 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can strobes match Profoto with similar modifiers?

FYI: although none of them are actually strobes in the sense of being stroboscopic, most people use the term "strobe" to refer to monolights and pack-and-head systems like Profoto, Elinchrom, Alien Bees, etc., and use "flash" or "speedlight" (which is actually a Nikon trade name) for the units designed to work on camera.

That said, I haven't compared my Canon Speedlites directly to Profoto strobes, but based on past experience with other brands of strobes the main difference is the obvious one of power.

The quality of light itself can vary quite a bit depending on which modifier is being used. I find the Westcott Apollo soft box, for example, to work better with Speedlites than other soft boxes I have tried due to the former's retro-firing design, which gives good, even coverage of the whole box.

Among beauty dishes, the RPS Studio BeautiDish that I have works very well, and at my typical flash-to-subject distances of 1- to 3-times the dish diameter (20 to 60 inches), depending on the look I'm after, a Canon 430EX or 580EX has plenty of power for indoor portraiture. I haven't tried the Kacey dish, but I see no reason why it wouldn't perform similarly, other than having a flat reflector versus the BeautiDish's curved one.

The advantage most strobes have over speedlights is the bare-bulb design, which allows for modifier-filling spread of the light compared to the focused beam from most speedlights. Proper reflector design in the above-mentioned modifiers, though, offsets that advantage to some degree.

Here's some of the Speedlite gear I have:

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:25 AM
rico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can strobes match Profoto with similar modifiers?

pjny wrote:
While the light is decent I feel like the Profoto would give a better qualtity of light through the modifiers. Have you seen a big difference in the quality of light using strobe vs. Profoto(and other brands).

Big difference, no, but the little differences start to add up. Modifiers are orthogonal to the lights themselves. My pro-grade Canon/Nikon flash heads have excellent repeatability for exposure, but the color temperature is loose enough to fail for critical tabletop; the Profoto AcuteB is tight in both categories. The Speedlites/Speedlights have directional light, while the AcuteB has the omnidirectional frosted dome. For modifiers, the Profoto system is tops for selection, build quality, ease of use, and safety (no fixtures and modifiers falling onto the floor or someone's head). With flash heads, you have to search for the equivalent modifier offerings, then figure out how to mount them.

About BD options, two that make the light special are the opal glass disk diffuser (rather than the opaque metal deflector), and the grid. Make sure your choice of BD has these options available.

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:56 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can strobes match Profoto with similar modifiers?

rico wrote:
...About BD options, two that make the light special are the opal glass disk diffuser (rather than the opaque metal deflector), and the grid. Make sure your choice of BD has these options available.

That's a good point.

I don't have any pictures of the translucent disk or the grid on my 20" dish (I'll have to rectify that this weekend, if I have time), but I do have both of them in sizes for my 20" and my 11" dishes, and they are worthy options for some situations.

Here's the translucent disk on my little dish, which I use as a hair light or accent light, and which can be seen used with the grid in the umbrella photo above:

Jun 15, 2013 at 01:57 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can strobes match Profoto with similar modifiers?

pjny wrote:
I hear that light is light but the difference is the modifiers, especially from Profoto, really make the light shine. I've used a lot of smaller, off-brand softboxes(a 24" chinese made joe mcnally knockoff from bh) that allow me to work fast and without an assistant on many daily assignments. I also use photek softliter(46"), a 18" home made beauty dish, and a variety of umbrellas.

Check out this video - that's your SL in action right there.

http://youtu.be/_RGunD1tngg

Sometimes it's more important how you use something...

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password