New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · D600 oil sensor issue revisted

Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D600 oil sensor issue revisted

well I assume it must have been more than dust since now the status is a "parts hold"

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D600 oil sensor issue revisted

Lots of people confuse dust for oil. There is a lot of misinformation out there on this topic, so when people see dark spots in their photos, they just assume it's oil because that's what they read about on the web. I've cleaned quite a few D600's and I have yet to see oil. What I do see is a fine dust somewhat like talcum powder that ends up in the corner. This can be cleaned with swabs.

Many people on gear forums will endorse their own home-made methods of cleaning the sensor. Please don't listen to these people. It's that sort of creativity that ends up scratching sensors. Get yourself the correct materials that were designed for this purpose. I've read enough stories online where people will recommend using strange things like a salty Q-Tip and a 3 day old lougie to clean the sensor. Use your brain folks. Get the right tool for the job.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:17 AM
kwoodard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D600 oil sensor issue revisted

I am an early adopter of the D7000 and had very bad oil issues. Long story short, the camera was sent in for repair (sensor replacement) and while testing, oil soiled the new sensor. Nikon cleaned the mirror box and the oil was being spit from the extractor arm (not sure what part that is). Since then, oil free for 7000 exposures.

My friend has a D600 (2 friends actually) and they have the oil issue. Easy way to tell is hit the spot with compressed air. Dirt won't streak, oil and grease will.

If you attempt cleaning yourself, the aforementioned Copperhill method is what I follow.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:54 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.