Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Buying used DSLR wth video.

Veedotcom

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Buying used DSLR wth video.

Soon there probably wont be any strictly still shooting available like the Nikon D70 D80 D300 or Canon 20D 30D 40D etc.... We know that the shutter has a limit, but models with video like Nikon D90 or D7000 have video limit? How do you check video usage an does it have mileage use like the shutter does?

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Buying used DSLR wth video.

Precisely the reason I keep a low mile D3/D700 on hand, you DON'T know the (long term) ill effects of video in camera.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Buying used DSLR wth video.

Veedotcom wrote:
Soon there probably wont be any strictly still shooting available like the Nikon D70 D80 D300 or Canon 20D 30D 40D etc.... We know that the shutter has a limit, but models with video like Nikon D90 or D7000 have video limit? How do you check video usage an does it have mileage use like the shutter does?

The manufacturer designs the body to last at least as long as the warranty, which is two years in some places. There is normally a temperature sensor to shut down the video if it beconmes too hot, so I would not worry about camera life under normal circumstances.

EBH

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Buying used DSLR wth video.

trenchmonkey wrote:
Precisely the reason I keep a low mile D3/D700 on hand, you DON'T know the (long term) ill effects of video in camera.

I have at least one video capable body with over 100K frames and zero hours of video.
It's not like one has to use the video.

EBH

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGC1
• • •
p.1 #5 · Buying used DSLR wth video.

EB-1 wrote:
I have at least one video capable body with over 100K frames and zero hours of video.
It's not like one has to use the video.

EBH

Can I get a big AMEN!!!

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Buying used DSLR wth video.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like the shutter is going nuts capturing video. It's just the sensor recording light. Not much damage I can see going on.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:45 PM
outmywindow

p.1 #7 · Buying used DSLR wth video.

BenV wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like the shutter is going nuts capturing video. It's just the sensor recording light. Not much damage I can see going on.

That's true, through I've always kind of wondered ever since the first HDSLRs came out how the shutter life would fare after lots and lots of use for video and film-making.

I mean I would think that since the shutter probably gets less wear than if you're doing birds in flight (for example), that one might get slightly longer than average MBTF life out of their camera body's shutter. Hot pixels from bodies used exclusively for video are not unheard of though, so its good to check if there are hot pixels when buying a used body.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password