Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

I was asked to take some shots of a community event that happened this morning where I live.

I brought my 1DsII, 1DIII and my 6D with me, which was a good thing, because the 6D gave me nothing but grief today.

I'd take a shot with the 6D, hear a horrible noise, and then the cam would either fail to take the shot and display an ERR message suggesting a miscommunication with the lens, or it would take the shot, and not take any others until I powered off and back on again.

If the cam took the shot, immediately afterwards, the viewfinder would go half dark. Removing the battery would return the viewfinder to a clear image.

I'm not sure what's really going on, but this camera is going back to Canon after I can make it reproduce the results I got.

After getting home, the camera appears to be working ok again and I can't get it to duplicate the problem.

It's frustrating, but at least I have backup cameras I can use and trust, while this problem gets sorted out.

I'll post back in this thread after I've reviewed the shots on my computer.

Edited on Jun 19, 2013 at 07:44 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:06 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I guess this is one example where having a backup camera is a must.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I was asked to take some shots of a community event that happened this morning where I live.

I brought my 1DsII, 1DIII and my 6D with me, which was a good thing, because the 6D gave me nothing but grief today.

I'd take a shot with the 6D, hear a horrible noise, and then the cam would either fail to take the shot and display an ERR message suggesting a miscommunication with the lens, or it would take the shot, and not take any others until I powered off and back on again.

If the cam took the shot, immediately afterwards, the
...Show more

Bummer and ever so frustrating...............good thing for backups!
Mine is in the hands of Canon right now, just got conformation of 'under warranty' repair but don't know yet what they are doing for the fix yet.
Your problem is totally different than my exposure issues but much more severe in resulting use of camera.............but I don't have a back up Wait, I have an iPhone and an PNS Canon so I am good but can't put on my lenses

Hope you can produce a duplicate issue and get it resolved quickly.......keep us informed

Karl

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:20 PM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

My 5DII randomly (it had been working fine) failed five minutes into the ceremony of a wedding I was shooting (turned out it needed a new shutter assembly with only 30K clicks on the camera). I had my 60D with me as a backup and only missed 7 minutes of shooting time.

Cameras fail. Sh$t happens. That's why we have more than one body with us when we shoot professionally.

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:25 PM
danb121
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Man, that's a shame, at least you had a backup though!

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Your title is a bit misleading IMO

This was a hardware failure, not problems with the performance of the 6D as a camera. It could have happened to any model, they all suffer failures occasionally.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:06 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

dhphoto wrote:
Your title is a bit misleading IMO

This was a hardware failure, not problems with the performance of the 6D as a camera. It could have happened to any model, they all suffer failures occasionally.

^^^ Agree. Professional bodies fail too. I busted a shutter on one of my 1Ds II just at a wedding last weekend, switched to the other body kept shooting as if nothing happened. Now it's on its way to CPS, business expenses, all good. This is why we get paid.

Glad to hear you have backups.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:23 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

yikes sounds like the motor for the mirror has gone bad or something

(yeah the thread title does seem a bit misleading, since it makes it sound like it failed the shoot when performance was nominal)

Jun 16, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Great that you had backups. I hope Canon resolves your 6d issue.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Tubby
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Buddy of mine was just on a shoot with his new Sony A77 and the mirror locked up. He was 2hrs away from home and his backup was in the shop. Karma. It happens. It's not brand or model specific.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

I have had a Canon 1DIII fail 60 clicks into a brand new shutter...during a wedding.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

I'll chime in. I sent in my 5d2 and 7d for new shutters b4 a Southern Caribbean trip so I wouldn't have any troubles with them. The new shutter on the 7d began to have problems the 2nd day of the trip. Canon repaired it upon return, but any problems can be frustrating. Hopefully they can replicate and fix your problem quickly. It takes a while to trust the camera again after a failure/fix happens.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Sorry I didn't post back in here a couple of days ago. It turns the 24-105L lens I had on the 6D, is defective. The problem manifests no matter what camera I attach it to.

And it seems, my Canon 6D is working just fine.

The title is not only misleading, but it's completely wrong. Throw darts at will, I deserve it.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Booo.

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:30 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
The title is not only misleading, but it's completely wrong. Throw darts at will, I deserve it.

Why not change it then?

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:37 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Is it the aperture blades misbehaving?

I had a Canon 18-200mm IS that randomly made a horrible noise and gave an error msg
- I could only replicate it by putting it on continuous shooting at a small aperture value - the blades worked fine during normal shooting but couldn't keep up for rapid shooting (this was on a 50D at 6fps)

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:29 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

An eternal monument to misdiagnosis

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

Shutterbug2006 wrote:

dhphoto wrote:
Why not change it then?

+1

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:32 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

outlawyer wrote:
An eternal monument to misdiagnosis

Trouble is, threads like this, threads from inexperienced uses of 5DII's complaining of banding and all the other poorly informed threads still get picked up by Google and mountains are made out of molehills

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:09 PM
DtEW

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 24-105L acts up on photo shoot

What? You mean the banding Canon 6D exploded into flames and incinerated a nearby tabby cat feline Maru nyan goatse Bieber Belieber Bush Obama Cheney Clinton failboat fail?

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password