Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

The D4 is not a good walk-around camera, especially while on vacation. I've been intrigued by the Fuji X-Pro1, having a fondness for the old RFs. Anybody have any experience with this camera? I'm also giving thought to the Oly OMD En-5. Any other recommendations are welcomed?

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:56 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Seems like a lot of money... why not something like a refurbished D7000? Compatibility with all of your existing lenses, a familiar interface that you don't have to re-learn, and much smaller and lighter than your D4.

Not as small and light as the Fuji, of course, but it's $700 sunk into the camera and you don't have to buy new lenses, vs. $1000+ and needing to buy a new lens kit.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:09 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

I say a $379 D5100 refurb with a 35G f/1.8.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:15 PM
glassartist
• •
p.1 #4 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

5100 is a good choice. Take a look also at the V2. More importantly, take a look at the work people are doing with it. It's a unique, and capable, camera.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #5 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Repost this to the Alternative Gear forum. Lots of Fuji users in there. There are adapters available that allow you to use your Nikon glass on the XPro and XE1. You lose auto focus, but, hey manual focus is part of the charm of these Retro mirrorless machines.

The general consensus seems to be excellent image quality and good experience at the cost of certain functionality. If you rely on and are expecting D4 auto focus you will be disappointed, but lower your expectations and yes these can be awesome cameras particularly in a vacation or street situation.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:18 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Repost this to the Alternative Gear forum. Lots of Fuji users in there. There are adapters available that allow you to use your Nikon glass on the XPro and XE1. You lose auto focus, but, hey manual focus is part of the charm of these Retro mirrorless machines.

The general consensus seems to be excellent image quality and good experience at the cost of certain functionality. If you rely on and are expecting D4 auto focus you will be disappointed, but lower your expectations and yes these can be awesome cameras particularly in a vacation or street situation.

I thought the consensus would be a smaller Nikon. I shot the Leica for years, so, focus expectations are not at the D4 level. I'm going to Samys and take a look at the various options and probably make the decision. I've never handled the D7xxx models, so, that will be fun.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:50 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #7 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

A friend of mine is loving his 7100 and as a NEX7 user I am often jealous of his shots with the Sigma 35 on that camera.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:18 PM
InlawBiker
• •
p.1 #8 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Clearly your budget for a "trunk camera" is higher than mine but, I kept a Panasonic G2 in my trunk for a year and it served nicely. The Olympus E-P3 is super-cheap right now too since the E-P5 has come out, if you want that rangefinder-like body.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:36 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

InlawBiker wrote:
Clearly your budget for a "trunk camera" is higher than mine but, I kept a Panasonic G2 in my trunk for a year and it served nicely. The Olympus E-P3 is super-cheap right now too since the E-P5 has come out, if you want that rangefinder-like body.

Well, the use of "trunk camera" was a bit narrow. I will use the camera for street photography, day-trips with the wife, and other situations where I don't want to carry the D4 and a extra lenses.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Bubble
• • •
p.1 #10 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Nex 7 or the new x100s would do the job fine.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edl415
• •
p.1 #11 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

James R wrote:
Well, the use of "trunk camera" was a bit narrow. I will use the camera for street photography, day-trips with the wife, and other situations where I don't want to carry the D4 and a extra lenses.

D5100's swivel screen is very useful for a variety of situations. You can do similar things with a NEX, but the D5100 plays nice with all your lenses.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #12 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Maybe you could ask in the Alt forum.

I have heard that Ricoh with the M mount module is the best for RF lens.

I mainly use NEX-6/7 when I am not using D600/700.

Perhaps you should look at D7100 or D5200. Sometimes dealing with multiple raw file format is a nuisance.

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:02 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

I went for an FM2 plus b&w film as my carryaround and throw-into-glovebox camera...

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:20 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #14 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Zichar wrote:
I went for an FM2 plus b&w film as my carryaround and throw-into-glovebox camera...

I went with the FM3a with some 100iso B&W. Results are close to what I get from my D800 in a small package.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

edl415 wrote:
D5100's swivel screen is very useful for a variety of situations. You can do similar things with a NEX, but the D5100 plays nice with all your lenses.

Exactly. I went with a D5100 for this reason. It's a very useful and versatile little camera. The newer D5200 has the same sensor as the D7100. I really love that little fold out screen. i use it as a waist level camera to take discreet photos in crowds.

Kent in SD

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:59 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

Why not a Nikon Coolpix? All the lens you ever need without changing. I kept one in the car for ages.

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

I must confess, I drive an SUV so there isn't really a trunk.

I tried a bunch of cameras at Samys (the new Pasadena location is very nice) and bought the one that moved me the most....the Fuji X Pro 1 and an 18-55 zoom. The XE 1 is also a nice camera in a smaller frame. The Oly OMD En-5 came in 2nd. The D7100 is very nice, but upon holding it, I realized my inner desire to get something that didn't have Nikon on it. The EP1 will take a Thumbs Up and soft release button, which will make it fit better in-hand; so, I'm please with my choice and there was a $300 instant rebate.

BTW, good to see Samys packed on a Friday afternoon. I had to take a ticket and wait 20 minutes for service. I'm still amazed at the lack of camera stores in the San Fernando Valley--millions of people and not a decent store. Woodland Hills Camera sucks and Canoga Camera's brick-and-morter location might as well close down.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:58 PM
barisaxer
• • •
p.1 #18 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

I have been a nikon nut for years. I have a em5 a very nice fast and compact. the kit 12-50mm is nice and sharp enough for my use. I got some primes and they are outstanding with this camera. Then I saw the prices on the XE1 packages and bit. Love the Fuji it is a bit old school in operation and I did not even need the book. Aperture and shutter speed dial like my old film days. Quality images. I am in love again. Omd is great and smallest. faster focus. Fuji just makes me want to shoot and have it with me. Both make great 16*20 prints which is my large size. Fuji can do this off jpegs omd is best with raw and good processing. Fuji colors I like better but omd is not far off. Really like both and am questioning my nikon gear now, but no good long lens solution. Fuji ergonomics for me is a great selling point but as I said I am a old school film guy and shot mostly 4*5 and medium format BW stuff.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:32 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Looking for a Trunk Camera

barisaxer wrote:
I have been a nikon nut for years. I have a em5 a very nice fast and compact. the kit 12-50mm is nice and sharp enough for my use. I got some primes and they are outstanding with this camera. Then I saw the prices on the XE1 packages and bit. Love the Fuji it is a bit old school in operation and I did not even need the book. Aperture and shutter speed dial like my old film days. Quality images. I am in love again. Omd is great and smallest. faster focus. Fuji just makes me want to
...Show more

Pretty much my experience.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password