FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Wouldn't PDAF still have some issues in low light ? Could be quicker/track better in good light, but for how I use the camera, I don't really need to track people running around etc, and its always felt plenty quick to me.

If it could focus in a bit lower light it would be nice for sure, but I don't know if a PDAF system would really change that too much.

Anyone with the PDAF NEX's notice a difference ?

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:53 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

millsart wrote:
Wouldn't PDAF still have some issues in low light ? Could be quicker/track better in good light, but for how I use the camera, I don't really need to track people running around etc, and its always felt plenty quick to me.

If it could focus in a bit lower light it would be nice for sure, but I don't know if a PDAF system would really change that too much.

Anyone with the PDAF NEX's notice a difference ?

Speaking in terms of the X100 vs. X100s, the PDAF only seemed a little snappier in good light. I think you're probably right.

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:18 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

I will say that while the RX1 is not speed demon in terms of AF, when it does lock, it almost always is right on the money, which in a sense, is more important to me than speed, because just merely locking onto something, doesn't do much good if its not what I wanted, especially given the thin DoF from the FF sensor and 35mm lens wide open

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

No AA is the only difference it turns out:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-rx1r-has-no-anti-aliasing-filter-thats-the-only-difference-with-the-rx1/

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:19 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Go figure....

Well, save for low ISO shooting I don't think there will be too much IQ difference in that case as higher ISO noise/NR will likely blur away any extra resolution edge the AA-less camera might have.

Lack of AA makes perfect sense on a DSLR like a D800e, which is a system camera and has a wide range of glass to appeal to landscape shooters and basically anyone else who wants maximum detail, as does it being a 36meg sensor.

Lack of AA on a fixed focal length camera that I doubt many people are buying as a specialized landscape tool seems a bit odd though.

I certainly might take a few landscape shots with it, as it is a great lens/sensor and could work well, but overall, I bought it more for the ability to shoot natural light, and a handheld street camera with good subject separation.

Did that many people really request that feature ?

Tilt screen, better AF, built in EVF, wider/longer focal lengths....yeah but who was crying out to lose the already very weak AA filter ?

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Seems a bit bizarre. Also makes me say "Why no NEX-7R?", though yes that's two different groups within Sony.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:03 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

millsart wrote:
Go figure....

Well, save for low ISO shooting I don't think there will be too much IQ difference in that case as higher ISO noise/NR will likely blur away any extra resolution edge the AA-less camera might have.

Lack of AA makes perfect sense on a DSLR like a D800e, which is a system camera and has a wide range of glass to appeal to landscape shooters and basically anyone else who wants maximum detail, as does it being a 36meg sensor.

Lack of AA on a fixed focal length camera that I doubt many people are buying as a specialized landscape
...Show more

didn't you buy a sigma fixed lens camera for landscape? i bet an AA free rx1 would produce better landscape shots than the dp2m in addition to being a much better general use camera (and $2000 more expensive). i'm not terribly fond of the foveon hdr look though.

i think i recall a few people complaining that there was an AA filter when this came out. i agree it would be better if they put the 36mp sensor in there to go with it, but i bet this will outperform every FF camera except the d800e (with certain lenses) for landscape at 35mm.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:29 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

sebboh wrote:
I think i recall a few people complaining that there was an AA filter when this came out. i agree it would be better if they put the 36mp sensor in there to go with it, but i bet this will outperform every FF camera except the d800e (with certain lenses) for landscape at 35mm.

I think the current RX1 may already hold that distinction. I've seen enough examples of moire in RX1 files that I'd curious how much worse the RX1R will be.

I guess it's possible that the edge performance of the RX1R will be even better, without the AA, but this doesn't tempt me to upgrade.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:50 PM
cjrpostma
[X]
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Well, damnit, I bought an RX1 a month ago. Sigh. Would have bought an AA-less one if that option existed then, even if it was a few hunded more. Oh well.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:01 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Sony usually uses K for kits (like NEX-5/BK for the black NEX with the kit lens or multiple lenses), so I doubt it's a kit.

If I were in charge of Sony Prod/Mar, I would name the next one RX-MiniM. It's basically got a Zeiss-branded Summicron-M 35 ASPH on there anyway.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:15 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

freaklikeme wrote:
It's basically got a Zeiss-branded Summicron-M 35 ASPH on there anyway.

It's actually quite a bit different than the 35/2 ASPH, in my experience with the two lenses. The Zeiss lens has a flatter field and smoother bokeh, although it also has more distortion and LOCA potential.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:31 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

douglasf13 wrote:
It's actually quite a bit different than the 35/2 ASPH, in my experience with the two lenses. The Zeiss lens has a flatter field and smoother bokeh, although it also has more distortion and LOCA potential.

Wide open, I agree, but even stopped down to just f/2.8, most of those differences disappear (except for the distortion, which I don't find all that troubling on either). And by f/4, most of the differences, in my opinion, were attributable to the differences between the M9 and RX handling.

I will say that my week with the camera while the owner was gone made me appreciate the idea of a fixed lens camera. Most of my complaints were ergonomic, as opposed to the M9, where most of my complaints center around the focusing system and MFD.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:49 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

douglasf13 wrote:
I think the current RX1 may already hold that distinction. I've seen enough examples of moire in RX1 files that I'd curious how much worse the RX1R will be.

I guess it's possible that the edge performance of the RX1R will be even better, without the AA, but this doesn't tempt me to upgrade.

yeah, i bet the high frequency contrast will just be a little higher without a huge gain in resolution or moire. hopefully they will actually just remove the AA which may improve corner performance rather than replace it with equally thick glass as nikon did.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:51 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

freaklikeme wrote:
Wide open, I agree, but even stopped down to just f/2.8, most of those differences disappear (except for the distortion, which I don't find all that troubling on either). And by f/4, most of the differences, in my opinion, were attributable to the differences between the M9 and RX handling.

I will say that my week with the camera while the owner was gone made me appreciate the idea of a fixed lens camera. Most of my complaints were ergonomic, as opposed to the M9, where most of my complaints center around the focusing system and MFD.

Both the 35 Lux FLE and 35 Cron still have some field curvature issues going on when stopped down. This lens (and the ZM 35/2) seem to have a flatter field, even when stopped down.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:57 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

douglasf13 wrote:
Both the 35 Lux FLE and 35 Cron still have some field curvature issues going on when stopped down. This lens (and the ZM 35/2) seem to have a flatter field, even when stopped down.

I didn't see that much of an impact, at least not one you couldn't frame/focus around close up. The RX1 may be a hair better corner-to-corner at landscapes, but I don't find it distracting or noticeable on the Cron unless I'm specifically looking for the problem. But, for argument's sake, let's just say my flippant reference was in regards to the inner 90% of the frame.

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:07 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

freaklikeme wrote:
I didn't see that much of an impact, at least not one you couldn't frame/focus around close up. The RX1 may be a hair better corner-to-corner at landscapes, but I don't find it distracting or noticeable on the Cron unless I'm specifically looking for the problem. But, for argument's sake, let's just say my flippant reference was in regards to the inner 90% of the frame.

I'm talking more about a Zone B dip, that both the Cron and Lux have. The Zeiss ZM 35 and RX1 doesn't have that bit of a resolution drop mid frame that the Leica's do, so they're a little better choice for landscape type work, but we're probably splitting hairs. I loved how relatively low distortion and low CA the 35/2 ASPH, but I think the RX1's lens is probably more to my liking, overall.

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:24 PM
artur5
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

RX1-R ? Hmm,. What if the 'R' stands for Removable or Replaceable (lens) ?.
I guess that Douglas wouldn't be happy at all..

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:34 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

sebboh wrote:
didn't you buy a sigma fixed lens camera for landscape? i bet an AA free rx1 would produce better landscape shots than the dp2m in addition to being a much better general use camera (and $2000 more expensive). i'm not terribly fond of the foveon hdr look though.

I found that to already be the case with the current RX1 after testing it against my now gone DP2M with landscape subject matter (once the RX1 is properly sharpened/ enhanced to match the over the top sharpening and clarity look of the DP2M). In fact, if you re-size/ interpolate both up in size, the RX1 will go larger before falling apart as compared to the DP2M. Before running this comparison, I fully expected the DP2M to out resolve the RX1.

For best landscape type sharpening of fine detail, I found Tim Ashley's settings to be the best, In ACR or Lightroom, this is:

Amount: 60
Radius: .7
Detail: 70
Masking: 20

All noise reduction off/ 0

Additionally, if one desires to mimic the Merrill look for clarity (which I think is due to processing and not inherent in the foveon sensor), one can use Topaz Labs Clarity plug in Or use the Detail slider in the Photo Ninja raw converter.

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:08 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

artur5 wrote:
RX1-R ? Hmm,. What if the 'R' stands for Removable or Replaceable (lens) ?.
I guess that Douglas wouldn't be happy at all..

Hey, I'd be thrilled. I wouldn't necessarily buy one anytime soon, but I'd love to see how Sony would work out the lens size issue.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

freaklikeme wrote:
(...)
I will say that my week with the camera [RX1 ]while the owner was gone made me appreciate the idea of a fixed lens camera. Most of my complaints were ergonomic, as opposed to the M9, where most of my complaints center around the focusing system and MFD.

A good grip and then a small slice of friction tape on the "bottom" part of the aperture ring make nearly all ergonomic problems go away. With the EVF you get a tilting viewfinder... and ergonomics in many cases became better than most other cameras.

What the RX1 should have is a tilting LCD, some sealing and IR remote ports (on at the front one at the back a la Pentax). But, not even £€$ 3000 can get you everything.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.