New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Yes, it's very odd. The manual does not really indicate a difference that jumps out at me either.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Other then AA filter, the other possibility is the tilting screen like RX100. I don't know if there is anything about wifi in the manual as that is the other update that RX100 is getting.

douglasf13 wrote:
Hmm, in quickly going through this manual, nothing is jumping out at me that is different with the "R." Even the sensor resolution and lens is listed as the same. Maybe they did just yank the AA, which I wouldn't really want, anyways, since the camera already gets moire occasionally.

PDAF would make the most sense, but it seems like they'd at least mention it in the manual, and I haven't seen it, yet.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

The camera looks identical in the graphical depictions in the manual. I don't have the time to go page by page and compare the two manuals right now, but I'm not seeing anything different, so far.

Is it possible that the "R" simply represents some kind of kit deal, like with an EVF and battery charger included, or something like that? That would be funny. Or maybe it is just red in color?

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

sflxn wrote:
I don't get the infatuation with 21mm. For tripod, landscape use, it might be great, but for everyday use, 21mm seems too wide. I use a 28mm for everyday shooting, and I find I need to take great care since it's quite wide. I'm not sure $3k is something I want to spend if I only use it once in awhile on a tripod.

For most, It would definitely be a specialty camera if an RX version with either a 21 or 24mm lens was ever introduced. The 21mm focal length has a certain importance in regards to Zeiss, not to mention there is also a history of specialized, fixed lens super wide angle cameras. One such camera I shot quite a bit alongside a Rollei TLR and that was a Brooks Plaubel Veriwide 100 with a Schneider 47mm lens covering 6x10 (yes, actually wider than 6x9) offering a 100 degree angle of view. It had a Leica 21mm optical finder atop.

The RX1 with it's 32-35mm (actual focal length is somewhere in there depending upon if one uses distortion correction or not) is the general purpose camera. For myself, I find 28mm a tiny bit too wide for general use.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:01 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

I just compared the RX1 manual to the RX1R and nothing is different. There are a few additional notes (literally, about 3) in the RX1R manual such as 'Wireless flash shooting is not available with the built-in flash'. Nothing different though as far as specs or operation. One thing I noticed though is that on page 65 the manual mentions how many images can be recorded on a memory card, it is the same exact numbers as the RX1 manual. Wouldn't an AA-less image take up more space than the original sensor?

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:15 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

rsolti13 wrote:
...Wouldn't an AA-less image take up more space than the original sensor?

Nope, it would be the same amount of pixels. Just a little less "blurry," so to speak.

I honestly can't imagine wanting less of an AA filter than the current RX1.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Yeah, an AA less RX1 would not really seem to deserve a "High Resolution" distinction (just going by what Sony rumors used) from the normal RX1 if that's the only difference.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:28 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

I'm really starting to wonder if this is just some kind of misunderstanding, and the "R" is just some kind of color code, kit code, international code, etc. I'm holding out hope that there is PDAF on sensor, not that I plan on upgrading.

Of course, this is all assuming that the leaked manual is real.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:32 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

One more side note, the manual was completed in March 2013.

The current RX1 is also listed as RX1B on the Sony website. What is the difference there? Slightly different international version for PAL/NTSC? Could this be the same with the 'R' designation?

I find it hard to believe that they would wait a full year just to release an AA-less version which is 100% identical to the RX1. I'm with you guys, taking off an already weak AA filter doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. Would have much rather seen a wider (24-28) / longer (75-90) focal length. Here's to hoping the manual is a fake .

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:38 PM
RX1user

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

I hate to spill the beans.. but here is the real deal for RX1R

The current RX1 is also listed as RX1B on the Sony website. B means Black

R means RED. Sony is releasing the exactly same RX1 with RED color. That's all.

Sorry to disappoint.

Cheers!

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:05 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

douglasf13 wrote:
I'm really starting to wonder if this is just some kind of misunderstanding, and the "R" is just some kind of color code, kit code, international code, etc. I'm holding out hope that there is PDAF on sensor, not that I plan on upgrading.

Of course, this is all assuming that the leaked manual is real.

Yeah, it's possible the R just represents a bundle, perhaps the RX1+EVF?

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

rsolti13 wrote:
One more side note, the manual was completed in March 2013.

The current RX1 is also listed as RX1B on the Sony website. What is the difference there? Slightly different international version for PAL/NTSC? Could this be the same with the 'R' designation?

I have always wondered about the difference between the RX1 and RX1B. Usually, I believe it often refers to a product revision, however slight, or a difference in kit offerings/ accessories. Seems like I read somewhere that the "B" only referred to the color Black. Maybe we are about to see a Red RX1

Edit. Rats, someone beat me to it!

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:09 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Camera would look just horrible in red I'd have to think..

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:11 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

alwang wrote:
Yeah, it's possible the R just represents a bundle, perhaps the RX1+EVF?

I was wondering the same, but this is in the manual, "When using a viewfinder (sold separately), sets the brightness of the viewfinder." They'd likely have a distinction if the RX1B was bundled with an EVF.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

If Sony were smart, they would offer a black version with no markings and charge a $1000 premium...but who the hell would ever do that!

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:13 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

You know, I don't think that it means the camera will be red. I looked at a bunch of red cybershots on Sony's site, as well as the RX1, and all of the color initials are separated with "/". So the model names are RX1/B, TF1/R, etc. This manual leak says RX1R, not RX1/R.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Good! The world doesn't need another red camera.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Selling a bundled kit with the EVF would make a lot of sense, Olympus is doing that with the EP-5, and the Sony EVF seems to be a pretty good seller since its often out of stock.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:32 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

No AA filter and/or PDAF are still the only things that could maybe make senses to me, judging by the manual. Selfishly, I almost hope it doesn't have PDAF, since I just got this darn thing.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:32 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

millsart wrote:
Selling a bundled kit with the EVF would make a lot of sense, Olympus is doing that with the EP-5, and the Sony EVF seems to be a pretty good seller since its often out of stock.

I'm not sure it would match up with their naming convention, and the "sold separately" EVF is mention in the manual without distinction.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:35 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.