Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

This sounds like it has to be an RX1 with the Sony 36MP FF sensor. With the RX100 getting a compact tilting screen, it will be interesting to see if the RX1R gets the same.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-first-manual-images-from-the-rx100mkii/

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Jeeez.. last thing I was hoping for.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM
john_edwards
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Sony may have figured out how to reach into my pocket again, at least if its a 24mm rather than the 36.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

So happy I haven't bought the RX1 yet.

sincerely,
large print resolution addict

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

If it does turn out to be a "special" version of the current RX1, same focal length but with a higher resolution sensor, you have to figure it's not going to be cheap. How many would pay $3299+ for that change alone I wonder?

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

The ability to crop into 50 mm FOV and maintain 18 MP is certainly a bonus.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

alundeb wrote:
The ability to crop into 50 mm FOV and maintain 18 MP is certainly a bonus.

That's a good point. For me, if I cropped square, it's the difference between 16MP with the RX1 vs 24MP with the RX1R, assuming the 36MP sensor.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #8 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

RX1-R sounds like a very similar version to the base model. Maybe the R is one without an AA filter.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:17 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

I don't think the RX-1R will just be AA less, because the AA is already light to non-existent in the current camera. It would be wild if it has some super high res sensor that it would share with a rumored D4x, like 56mp (based off of 24mp aps-c sensor.)

Edited on Jun 14, 2013 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:20 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #10 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

If its just a 36meg sensor, with a higher price, I'd say based upon my D800, that in most cases it would be rather diminishing returns for the added cost.

Its a great sensor, however, I find that its also very demanding of glass and technique to get the best out of it. Now the Zeiss lens on the RX1 is very good, however, the Rx1 isn't really a camera I bought to shoot at low ISO or with a tripod.

Whole point of its size for me is that its this carry most places (not carry everywhere small) without hauling around a tripod, and also that I can use for shooting natural light in the evenings and such due to its great high ISO performance.

36meg sensor at ISO1600, handheld at 1/80th just doesn't show that different of IQ than I'm seeing from the RX1. My D800 can deliver more resolution for sure in ideal conditions, but if I want to stick with a tripod and such, might as well just carry the D800 around.

Suppose price point will be the make or break factor for me though, if its a modest increase in price I'd probably spring for it just the same. If its a big premium I don't think its worth $1000 or more for the added resolution I really wouldn't see it in a lot of my real world shooting

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

millsart, I honestly don't understand about diminishing returns at handheld shooting above ISO 100.

The difference is like a 10 MP or 15 MP APS-C sensor. I remember from my days with the Canon 40D and 500D that the 500D always gave superior detail over the 40D with lenses made for FF, like the EF 35 mm f/2.

If anything, the difference between 24 MP and 36 MP is so small that even under ideal conditions you will only see a marginal difference in detail.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

For myself, I never had an issue shooting either the D800E or the NEX-7 (I guess that's equal to a 50MP FF sensor with regard to useability) at base ISO in good light and getting the most out of the sensor when the lens was up to it. I have always made a habit of shooting at 1/250 sec. or higher when I can handheld.

All that said, I don't know that I would bite if it's basically the RX1 with a FF 36MP sensor...but then I said the same thing about the original RX1 that I shoot with now. The resolution difference, with everything else remaining the same, would be around a 22.4% increase but we know things seldom remain the same. The lens will be more stressed and the sensor may not have the per pixel detail of the lower resolution sensor. Throw in technique (as millsart says) and In the end, it may not be worth it.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:02 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

By diminishing returns what I mean is that based off the d800, you really can only take full advantage of its resolution with really good technique. Tripod or pretty high SS hand held. 1/focal length isn't really enough. Good tech and glass gives great files though.

Thing is, who shoots with the rx1 on a tripod or at high SS that often? I don't. I use it handheld, and often in poor light, always riding the auto ISO limit of 1/80th which is already too slow IMHO.

So what it seems to be will be the case is you can spend a premium for the R, but unless you use it in a specific manner your not going to see much real world resolution advantage because handheld shooting etc will reduce it

So not a huge increase for a likely big increase in cost, which is a diminishing return.

$1000 extra over a x100 ? Big gain in IQ

$1000 extra again over rx1 ? Don't see the same jump in IQ as you did going from x100 to rx1

X100 merely serving as an example

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:48 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #14 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Kewl!.

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:55 PM
serhan_
• •
p.1 #15 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Updated with the instruction manual which shows the same 24MP:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-the-rx1r-is-going-to-be-announced-on-june-27/

So it looks like it might be a pdaf update or AA filter removal...

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:02 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #16 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

36MP would be nice, but isn't really the most important upgrade that I'd want to see. The 24MP sensor is already stellar. Better AF would top my wishlist. Of course, sensors are Sony's specialty, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:08 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #17 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Probably just adding wireless file download capability, thus the R". Doubt any sensor or lens changes.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:19 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.1 #18 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

It would be cool if they changed the sensor to 36mp and the lens to a 21mm. This way you can still almost crop to a 35mm (simplistically speaking). I'm not in the market for the RX1 or its variant but I have to applaud Sony for their innovative approach

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:33 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

Hmm, in quickly going through this manual, nothing is jumping out at me that is different with the "R." Even the sensor resolution and lens is listed as the same. Maybe they did just yank the AA, which I wouldn't really want, anyways, since the camera already gets moire occasionally.

PDAF would make the most sense, but it seems like they'd at least mention it in the manual, and I haven't seen it, yet.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:17 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #20 · RX1R "High Resolution" coming

rirakuma wrote:
It would be cool if they changed the sensor to 36mp and the lens to a 21mm. This way you can still almost crop to a 35mm (simplistically speaking). I'm not in the market for the RX1 or its variant but I have to applaud Sony for their innovative approach

I don't get the infatuation with 21mm. For tripod, landscape use, it might be great, but for everyday use, 21mm seems too wide. I use a 28mm for everyday shooting, and I find I need to take great care since it's quite wide. I'm not sure $3k is something I want to spend if I only use it once in awhile on a tripod.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password