Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · feedback on portfolio

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · feedback on portfolio

Hi guys,

many of you have seen me struggle to get of the ground. Many have offered tremendous help by answering my questions here and by giving tips and feedback. Thank you!

But I will not stop asking (0:

I renewed my (itīs ours now, actually, as my wife joined) portfolio. Would love to get some feedback, please. About quality, consistency, content, number of images, etc...

http://www.schmidt-weddingphoto.com/exklusive-hochzeitsreportagen-hamburg/

every comment is welcome.

heiko

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · feedback on portfolio

The chirping birds soundtracks is unique, in a good way. Normally I personally am not a fan of music on a website- but this is different.

There is 1 image w/ a bride's well-exposed face in a dark background that is good. But her face is turned in a way that makes her nose look "large-ish".

Get rid of:
-The image of a bride getting into the limo w/ her face turned away from the lens.
-The image of a bride w/ guests at the reception with faces that look like they're at a funeral. Sure, they're probably just waiting for the rain to stop, or something, but they just don't look like they're having a good time at all.

Gotta get ready for today's wedding...

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:41 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · feedback on portfolio

your choice of images to begin your portfolio are not your strongest. they are not really that unique either. your opening image is a flower that just about anyone with working knowledge of a dslr could take.

6, 7, 13, 15, 25 are strong images and should be toward the front of the portfolio, if not the first five.

the birds chirping is a bit weird to me.

good luck!

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · feedback on portfolio

I agree with Chuck. Your stronger images should come first. His suggestions are strong.

Personally, I'd drop the "flower" images. (first and last) They come across as shots taken at the local zoo... the music pushes that impression, by the way.

I think "enlarging" your site would help a LOT as well.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · feedback on portfolio

Thank you for your suggestions.

I agree with the first flower. This may be an example how you sometimes value specific images because of the emotion only you have with the image. I feel strongly connected to this image and think it is just wonderful. I took it with the M9 on a trip to Bali at sunset. Will drop it.

The last one, however, I think is quite strong, but the subject may ruin it. It is not a bride obviously.

What do you mean by "enlarging"?

heiko

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:35 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · feedback on portfolio

heikoM wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions.
What do you mean by "enlarging"?

Make the images bigger

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:39 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · feedback on portfolio

Yea, bring all the imagery up to at least 900px... 1000 would be better.

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:32 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · feedback on portfolio

The pics are all 900px,

there is a button at the bottom that allows you to see the slideshow fullscreen. The displayed size is apparently standard with prophotoblog.

Am not happy with the slideshow plugin anyway. Any better suggestions?

heiko

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · feedback on portfolio

heikoM wrote:
I agree with the first flower. This may be an example how you sometimes value specific images because of the emotion only you have with the image. I feel strongly connected to this image and think it is just wonderful. I took it with the M9 on a trip to Bali at sunset. Will drop it.

The last one, however, I think is quite strong, but the subject may ruin it. It is not a bride obviously.

heiko

Yeah, this sentimental attachment to images ruins a lot of portfolios. We have to think about what the prospective client wants to see, and what any given image will mean to her completely out of context, and ruthlessly kill images that don't achieve the goal of attracting a client.

This is excellent and very valuable feedback -- it's hard to be objective about your own images, and sometimes it's even hard to get constructive feedback from peers.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · feedback on portfolio

The mute button is hard to see. Suggest you make the music off by default, and let people switch it on if they so choose.

I agree that the chirping is strange and is confusing -- it does not obviously evoke photography, weddings, or anything else about your value proposition. If I opened this site and I suddenly heard chirping, I would wonder whether a pop-up had opened, or whether I had the wrong site. By contrast, if you make the music opt-in, then it will start when I click the "play" button, which at least associates the sound with a user action.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · feedback on portfolio

#2 is a weak image.

I think 5 and 6 are strong; 7 is good but takes a moment to realize why it's good, so I would not make it the first or second image you display.

Number 8 is, I think, the one Nikon_14 referenced that makes the woman's nose look larger than life -- I would remove that one for several reasons (the nose, it's not sharp at native or full-screen resolution, the person above and behind her looks at least as ominous as caring, and the image doesn't work with your thumbnails-at-bottom menu, which obstructs too much of the subject).

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:08 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · feedback on portfolio

So much very valuable input, thanks.

Sorry I could not resist to already remove the first flower. I put in the dance-shot, so the numbers here still aplly.

Every time I get into my mind that something with my site is bad I have to change it emediatly, think I have to relax a bid...

heiko

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · feedback on portfolio

...made some changes...

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:48 AM
pattyw
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · feedback on portfolio

The all look quite solid but the only weak one that stood out for me is the double exposure, #27. I would replace that one.

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:08 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · feedback on portfolio

really? Thought that (double exp.) is quite nice, different. Here in Germany not so many doing that...

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:52 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · feedback on portfolio

heikoM wrote:
The pics are all 900px,

there is a button at the bottom that allows you to see the slideshow fullscreen. The displayed size is apparently standard with prophotoblog.

Am not happy with the slideshow plugin anyway. Any better suggestions?

Um, not really. They're 700 something. Increase the blog's width to allow for 900px images. That will help. Personally, I'd jump to 1000px.

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:54 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · feedback on portfolio

amonline wrote:
Um, not really. They're 700 something. Increase the blog's width to allow for 900px images. That will help. Personally, I'd jump to 1000px.

OK, here you see how litle I know about websites. I corrected the wide to 900 px. (it was 760 before, as you guessed). Thanks a lot!
1000 would look even better, I agree, but that would mean I had to reload all my images, also from the blog, because I uploaded them initially at 900 px and they fit now perfectly even with the 900 px.

heiko

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · feedback on portfolio

New size is much better.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.