New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · help me decide!!!

Astragony
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · help me decide!!!

Hi guys, I want to buy a new small camera very soon and I'm torn between these two.
Why would you pick one over the other?

Thanks!!!

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:27 AM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · help me decide!!!

Fuji for preferred FL

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:19 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · help me decide!!!

Ι actually find them very similar, apart from the obvious differences of focal length/aperture and viewfinder.

Had a look at your portfolio (very nice btw), it looks like you do a fair bit of postwork on your images. I think you'll find the files from the bayer sensor more accepting and forgiving in that regard, whereas the Xtrans raw files have this already-processed-to-the-max feeling about them.
I vote GR.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:24 AM
Astragony
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · help me decide!!!

Thank for the replies, I'm fine with both FL, it's basically a matter of EVF or smaller discreet form factor.
I owned a x-pro1 in the past, way before the adobe raw fix, I did not like the files...
It seems to be fixed though, or am I wrong?

I also must note that this would be my take everywhere camera, I am keeping my d600 for landscapes and portrait sessions.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:41 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · help me decide!!!

well it is the summer in your hemisphere, so it will be nice to have a take-everywhere camera that doesnt need a jacket pocket or bag and you can just pocket it in your jeans (or whatever is in fashion in Rome these days )
even with the attachable VF, the ricoh still fits in a pant pocket.

re the "fix" I dont know man, I dont notice such small differences anyway, my photography is not IQ critical.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Astragony
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · help me decide!!!

well, on the x pro 1 landscape to me was just not doable...
Anyway, thanks for the comments, I ordered a Ricoh GR, should be getting it next week

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · help me decide!!!

Astragony wrote:
well, on the x pro 1 landscape to me was just not doable...
Anyway, thanks for the comments, I ordered a Ricoh GR, should be getting it next week

If you had issues with the X Pro 1 IQ, you will have issues with the X100S IQ...nothing has changed dramatically in that regard.

I think the GR is a compelling choice but it depends on how you shoot.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:49 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · help me decide!!!

It really depends on the focal length you prefer?

The X100s has the same X trans sensor as your X Pro, so you might want to consider that.

I looked at your website and since you already have a DSLR setup and you seem to enjoy wide angle landscape shots, I would go with the GR as it is really pocketable and fun camera to complement your other serious setup, Besides, at least here in the US, the GR is $500 cheaper as well. Add an external finder such as Ricoh GV2 or a Voigtlander 28mm and the GR actually looks pretty cool too!

If I were to choose one as my only camera, I would probably lean towards the X100s. With the effective 35mm focal length and faster f/2, built in VF/EVF, it seems more practical and well rounded.

I personally own a both RX1 and GR but every week, I still desire an X100s because it is so cool. Only reason holding me back is the X trans sensor and the watercolor effect. If Fuji put a regular Bayer sensor back into the X100S Mk2, I would buy one yesterday.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:22 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.