Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

jasoncallen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

Nikon enthusiasts who do video and film production will find this interesting:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/13/jvc-4k-camcorder-nikon-lenses/

JVC made a 4K resolution camcorder with a G-lens compatible active Nikon F lens mount. Only $18000 and it's yours... (really about $10,000 once it hits shelves if similar to other JVC MSRPs vs. street price). Super-35 sensor size (roughly DX).

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:30 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

1080/60p only 28 mbps That's it 4k on to 4 separate cards?? Each with 1/4 of the full image...worst idea ever.

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

I think it is a cool idea.

I haven't ever seen a Sandisk Ultimate SD card fail. Yet. Nikkor lenses 4k - this is a cheap movie maker that would be capable of good quality. What you can do in post with 4k is pretty amazing.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM
ocir
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

JVC eh? Will they use SanDisk or VHS tapes?

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

NathanHamler wrote:
1080/60p only 28 mbps That's it 4k on to 4 separate cards?? Each with 1/4 of the full image...worst idea ever.

4K to 4 SD cards is a lot cheaper than 4k or 5k to dedicated SSDs or HDDs like on the RED platforms. Also 28mbps AVCHD is plenty for most things, and I'm sure you can use an external recorder if you need a more robust codec.

The price, and the stability via workflow of joining the 4 streams together is what will make or break this product...

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:36 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

jasoncallen wrote:
The price, and the stability via workflow of joining the 4 streams together is what will make or break this product...

The stability of joining 4 streams was what i was referring to as the worst idea part...yeah the cards are cheap, that's about the only good part...

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:27 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New toy for Nikon enthusiasts who do video/film...

I regularly use Panasonic's P2 workflow with my HPX370, HPX250, and HVX200 cameras. The video, audio, metadata are separate streams as recorded, and the video files terminate at 4GB.... but they span from one file to the next seamlessly and effortlessly, without having ever skipping a frame. If you can do that with one video/audio/metadata source, why wouldn't you be able join 4 if the timecode is burned onto the video stream? Just like AVCHD and P2 can be read directly from the card as one piece of footage by Adobe Premiere and Avid Media Composer, why would it be any different to do so with 4 streams at once? I think it's an ingenious solution to a major bandwidth-on-the-recording-device problem! Let's see how it does in practice...

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password