Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version
Yes
No

Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

I own both lens copies, the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.2. I simply bought the high end f/1.2 lens because 50 mm is one of my favorite focal lengths to go with, and I didn't want to compromise in the AF. The 50/1.2 is in my experience and in direct comparison with the 50/1.4 much more suited for low light work due to a different lens group system. Other than the half stop faster f/1.2 lens, you need to look very closely to see optically differences. Yes, the bokeh effect is excellent in the 50/1.2, but I also got very good ones with the 50/1.4.

Main difference is the built style of both lenses - the AF of the 50/1.4 at fast speeds is much less reliable, at least in my 5D MkII cameras (both lenses are microfocus adjusted). The AF of the 50/1.4 can easily get stuck or break, I saw both things happening. You need to keep the lens hood permanently on the 50/1.4 to protect the protruding front lens element.

The cheaper built style of the 50/1.4 can be an advantage in other situations where weight of gear is an issue. The 50/1.4 is so light weight that it is no hassle to fit it in any camera bag. Both lenses also have good macro capabilities in combination with extension tubes.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #2 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

Dawei Ye wrote:
Isn't it 1/2 a stop?

Yes it is, I don't even know how I managed to put 5 instead of 2. Thanks for the catch.

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

retrofocus wrote:
Main difference is the built style of both lenses - the AF of the 50/1.4 at fast speeds is much less reliable, at least in my 5D MkII cameras (both lenses are microfocus adjusted). The AF of the 50/1.4 can easily get stuck or break, I saw both things happening. You need to keep the lens hood permanently on the 50/1.4 to protect the protruding front lens element.

If you really break 50mm f/1.4 lenses that often... you could just buy a box of them for the price of one f/1.2! ;-)

Dan

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:46 PM
robbymack
• •
p.2 #4 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

Worth, at least to me implies value. As such I don't find the 50L a great value especially when the 1.4 and for that matter the 1.8 produce great results at a fraction of the price.

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:13 PM
amycookphotos

p.2 #5 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

I've heard different copies act differently, but my 1.2L had NO focusing issues whatsoever, and is stupid sharp at 1.2. No, really

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:21 PM
jrfx

p.2 #6 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

Tip: If you're not willing to spend the cash, I've seen really nice results from 50 f/1.4 but stopped down a bit to f/1.7.

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:00 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

Tried the 50L and kept the 1.4 because 50L isn't usable (for me) handheld wide open because DoF is too shallow, which causes a high rate of misfocus (for me).

Now a 50L with IS...?

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

alfarmer wrote:
Tried the 50L and kept the 1.4 because 50L isn't usable (for me) handheld wide open because DoF is too shallow, which causes a high rate of misfocus (for me).

Now a 50L with IS...?

So f/1,4 is no problem handheld. But f/1,2 isn't usable for you

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:15 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

gdanmitchell wrote:
If you really break 50mm f/1.4 lenses that often... you could just buy a box of them for the price of one f/1.2! ;-)

Dan

This is absolutely true! The price of the 50/1.2 is simply insane. I "broke" my 50/1.4 only once after 4 years of usage - the AF was stuck (yes, I didn't have the hood attached!), but I "fixed" it myself by shaking the lens a bit, since then it is focusing flawlessly. A friend of mine also bought the 50/1.4, but here the AF was suddenly totally stuck, and the lens needed to be fixed at Canon.

In regard to keeper rate at fastest speeds with AF, the 50/1.2 is above 90% while I get less than 50% with the 50/1.4. At smaller apertures the rate equalizes and the 50/1.4 is nearly as good as the 50/1.2. The difference for shooting in low light is where the 50/1.2 "shines" compared to the 50/1.4.

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:59 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

Yep.

I attribute the difference to the 50L's inherent focusing issues (discussed many times on FM), but certainly the extra aperture also contributes. I tried two different copies of the lens. I've also had the 85L mk 1 and it didn't have the same focusing problem. There is definitely something weird going on with the 50L. Thus my choice and recommendation of the 1.4.

ALF

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
So f/1,4 is no problem handheld. But f/1,2 isn't usable for you

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

alfarmer wrote:
Yep.

I attribute the difference to the 50L's inherent focusing issues (discussed many times on FM), but certainly the extra aperture also contributes. I tried two different copies of the lens. I've also had the 85L mk 1 and it didn't have the same focusing problem. There is definitely something weird going on with the 50L. Thus my choice and recommendation of the 1.4.

ALF

But that is not what you wrote in your first post. You wrote it was not usable because the DOF was too shallow. The 85/1,2 has more shallow DOF and you can use that one. This time it was because of "focusing issues" and because "something weird going on with the 50L"

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:05 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #12 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

The funny thing is that both of these lenses have different uses even though they are the same FL. I have used all 3 and I kept the 1.8 and the 1.2. If you want just one lens in the FL, the 1.4 is good medium performer.

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:51 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Is the 50L worth it over the f/1.4 version

>> But that is not what you wrote in your first post.

That's because I was trying to be generous.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:29 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password