New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

felixj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

Hi

I am looking to pick up a Porst 50mm f/1.2 lens for my Fuji X Pro 1 (using via X Mount adapter)

Anyone know if this is the same lens as the Fujinon 50mm f/1.2, just rebranded? And any particular point on why I shouldn't try doing it?

Thanks
Felix

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:10 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

this is the only reference i can find to the lens now, i know i've seen shots with it somewhere though.

i can't think of any reason not to try it. it'll work fine with the camera. whether you end up liking the lens is another story.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

I clipped this info below when I used Pentax. I know of the Revuenon but can not remember off-hand what I remember other than where it is mentioned below ! I bought the Cosina 55/1.2 and would buy it again in a flash, it does stupendous things with points of light ! The Porst is reputed to be 'dreamier'.

The lens company Tomioka, of Japan, originally designed the 55mm f/1.2 lens for Yashica (whose line of lenses were called Yashinon) in M42 mount. They later went on to produce it for Cosina (Cosinon), Revue (Revuenon), Chinar (Chinon, do you see a trend here?) and with Tomioka's own brand name...wait for it...Tominon. Apparently they also built them for Vivitar (serial # beginning with 84), but I've only ever seen it for sale once. As far as I know, it was never produced in P/KA mount for Pentax, just P/K, but Tomioka did build a 'P' version for Ricoh (Rikenon). I believe Tomioka transitioned off the M42 mount to bayonet mounts in 1974.

The Tomioka 55mm f/1.2 has the following specs:

Focal length: 55mm
Filter size: 58mm
Diaphragm blades: 9
Aperture range: f/1.2 to f/16
Optical formula: 7 elements in 6 groups
Closest focus: 60cm

The Porst Color Reflex 55mm f/1.2 is a different lens, and was (bizarrely) manufactured by Cosina. On some lenses it is branded simply as "Color Reflex". This lens has the following specs:

Focal length: 55mm
Filter size: 55mm
Diaphragm blades: 8
Aperture range: f/1.2 to f/22
Optical formula: 6 elements in 4 groups
Closest focus: 60cm

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Bob YILDIRAN

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

felixj wrote:
Hi

I am looking to pick up a Porst 50mm f/1.2 lens for my Fuji X Pro 1 (using via X Mount adapter)

Anyone know if this is the same lens as the Fujinon 50mm f/1.2, just rebranded? And any particular point on why I shouldn't try doing it?

Thanks
Felix

Not the 55mm f/1.2 Porst but the 50mm f1.2 one is the original Fujinon E.B.C.. I have two such 50/1.2's and using them on the Nex-5N.

There is no f1.4 stop, weird; the next stop down in f2.0 and the lens at that aperture is tack sharp; sharper than all my M- Summicrons and Nikon 50/1.8G. Here's one shot at f/2.0 on Nex-5N:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49832862@N02/9052619962/sizes/o/in/photostream/ (copy & paste, pls.)

Jun 15, 2013 at 01:59 PM
felixj

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

I think I am going to skip on this. After scouring the net, I can't seem to find any review of those who have tried on a Fuji X and it is a little too expensive to give it a try. I'll be looking to pick up a f1.4 instead.

Thanks all.

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

felixj wrote:
I think I am going to skip on this. After scouring the net, I can't seem to find any review of those who have tried on a Fuji X and it is a little too expensive to give it a try. I'll be looking to pick up a f1.4 instead.

Thanks all.

The Fuji Photo Fujinon EBC 50/1.4 M42 is a fantastic lens! So is it's wider partner, the EBC 35/2.8.

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:29 PM
felixj

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

I have came across that lens as a part of my review. To be honest, almost hit Bid on eBay until I came across an article around thorium coating which were used on a large number of legacy lens.

That basically knock out more than half of lens available for purchase. Bit of a bummer and I am sure it is low risk and all but I rather not have it in the back of my mind.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

felixj wrote:
I have came across that lens as a part of my review. To be honest, almost hit Bid on eBay until I came across an article around thorium coating which were used on a large number of legacy lens.

That basically knock out more than half of lens available for purchase. Bit of a bummer and I am sure it is low risk and all but I rather not have it in the back of my mind.

to the best of my knowledge thorium was never used in lens coatings. it was used in the actual glass. this means you don't have to worry about dust from it unless you break the lens. otherwise, you are probably exposed to considerably more low level radioactivity in your daily life than you will get from shooting with such a lens.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

felixj wrote:

The USA banned the import of thorium content lenses (probably a politically motivated move) but Europe didn't, concluding they were of no danger. However the Thorium content was dropped to re-open access to the North American market.

As a health hazard you should be more worried about your mobile phone

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

The food you eat and air you breathe is probably worse for you than Throium lenses.

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Pedro Claro
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

I can't say if it's a rebranded Fujinon or not, but I had one Porst 50/1.2 (Fujica-X mount) that was converted to Canon EOS mount by a friend of mine and it worked fine. I no longer own the lens, but I can dig some pictures in my archives if it's of use to anyone.

It's a dreamy lens wide open, with a creamy bokeh - nice for portraits -, but tack sharp when stopped down. Nice colours, too. It reminds me somewhat of the Minolta Rokkor 50/1.2 rendering, although I only know this lens from photos I've seen in the net.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:37 AM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

Frogfish wrote:
As a health hazard you should be more worried about your mobile phone

Please, don't say this. I know that you and many other people fm know that cellphone radiation is absolutely harmless, but some other people believe in the electro smog stuff and think they get headaches because of the radiation.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Porst 50mm f/1.2 - Is this a rebranded Fujinon

Come on, guys! Let's stick to the photography aspects of Alt lenses.

I wear a tinfoil hat to block the voices that are projected by aliens in LOE. Nothing to do with cell phones or wind power generators...

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:55 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.