New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              17       18       end

Archive 2013 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

This is great stuff! I have never used a TS lens but would love to learn with one. 17/24/90.................what would be the most universal or best to learn with?
Landscape, floral creativity, some architectural ish style of shooting.
Thanks for any input and suggestions and if there is a particular lens to stay away from please indicate..............not wanting to steal the photo thread but thought might be a good thread to get a little insight and certainly by the images good motivation to try one!

Karl

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:01 AM
John Mills
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

The TSE 24mm II would be the best universal, but if you want to learn tilt and shift really well then the 90mm would be the go. Although the best still for learning on would be a Sinar P2 with a Schneider 210mm XL lens.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:31 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Karl Witt wrote:
This is great stuff! I have never used a TS lens but would love to learn with one. 17/24/90.................what would be the most universal or best to learn with?
Thanks for any input and suggestions and if there is a particular lens to stay away from please indicate..............not wanting to steal the photo thread but thought might be a good thread to get a little insight and certainly by the images good motivation to try one!

Karl

What focal length do you use the most? Get one closest to that.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:16 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Peter -- Thanks for that great shot and the info on the Zeiss 35mm lens -- that is just amazing quality.

I've thought of switching to the Arca Swiss (RRS, Kirk, etc) type heads and mounting plates, but I have so many of the Manfrotto hex plates (and even a double camera mount with hex base), and it would involve replacing one tripod head and part of another (700DX and 3051). I'm sure this could all be switched, and I may move that direction. Jim supplied a RRS L-bracket for the 1Ds3, so I've got a big toe dipped in . . .

RDDave -- Welcome, and thanks for those images -- very impressive.

Karl -- I think John has given you the best advice, and most would agree the Canon 24 TS-E II is the place to start if you have the budget.

But even the original version 24 TS-E (which can be found quite reasonably on the used market), is capable of outstanding results, using PP programs like LR4 to correct CA fringing and some slight light falloff and distortion. The same applies to the 45 TS-E and even the Nikkor I featured above -- the new PP software is a great help. As Ben says, find your favorite focal range and look for a TS or PC lens there. With 1.4X TC on Canon TS-E lenses, and different sensor sizes (plus stitching possibilities!), there are a huge number of combinations to get to the angle of view you prefer.

This thread raises the question I often think of when reading many of the Alt gear threads, such as Zeiss, Leica, etc: Does the equipment make us better photographers, raising our level of skill? Or does a certain talented, methodical type of photographer become attracted to these types of gear?

Unquestionably, these lenses are some of the finest tools provided to DSLR photographers from a standpoint of IQ and optical corrections.

(BTW -- my colorful avatar was taken with the 17 TS-E, hand held, without movements.)

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Here are some shots from my first outings with the 24TS-E II last winter. I'm not sure I'd agree completely with the advice to choose your favorite focal length for a first tilt/shift lens. I'd say think of the kind of images that you'd like to make which might benefit artistically (or technically) from TS capability, then consider what FL might work best for that. I have favorite FLs for different types of shooting that I do, and they vary a lot. Still, this thread already shows some things you can do with different TS FLs. I'm glad I started with the 24, but I soon added the 17, and when I can afford to add more I would like to use the 90.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

From an early outing getting to know the 17 TS-E.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

I was incredibly mad when I found that my two TSEs were stolen between two NASA jobs. Had to scramble to borrow some.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Sometimes I even take them on travel

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Stan, great shots as usual! Where was that last one done? I'm also curious about the four tanks (water heaters?).

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Karl Witt wrote:

Karl

Karl, thinking about the specifics of what you said, the 90 seems particularly well suited to floral shooting. I've never used one, but have seen work going all the way back to film days where the relatively narrow AOV combined with tilt was just the right combo for showing a field of wild flowers (or a cultivated arrangement) to advantage. Otoh, the 24 MkII is great for wide landscapes (including flowers, of course), can handle a lot of architecture including interiors, is a very high IQ lens, and has a wide shift range, not to mention independent on-the-fly adjustment of tilt and shift angles. Over all I'd recommend it as the best choice to start and learn with, but we each have our own uses and preferences.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Here's one from almost a year ago, before I got this laptop, so I'll try to embed the image from my blog instead of using FM upload. (24 TS-E II) I wrote a few words about it here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GJReMzhCpco/UAHezduw41I/AAAAAAAAAEk/vVRnGPghGgg/s1600/JIL20120713_0055_FV8A4848-2.jpg

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Mostly 24 TSE II, but I shoot the 17 TSE too

http://www.fototime.com/22959D2B7BE952B/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9EED37C8F0661A1/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/1074C6BF13210CA/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2D5AC0EFA98826B/xlarge.jpg

Yes I use tilt with TSE quite a lot. 5 more very low angle examples at max tilt, at the end of this article
https://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

Mike K

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Mike K wrote:
Yes I use tilt with TSE quite a lot. 5 more very low angle examples at max tilt, at the end of this article
https://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

Mike K

I hadn't seen your article before now, so thanks for the link. Some of the examples there make it very clear how an external monitor can be useful, even necessary in some cases.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:53 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

I bought a 24mm ts-e II for my Iceland trip last month. I never learn how to use TS lenses but then just plug in on and shoot/learn on fields

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:54 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

stanj wrote:
I was incredibly mad when I found that my two TSEs were stolen between two NASA jobs. Had to scramble to borrow some.

Those photos are from talent with great access, not the TSE, lol. I'm incredibly jealous!

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

3 stitched with the 17:

http://1l1t.com/photos/110129_blackrock/playapano.jpg

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

And another with the 17:

http://1l1t.com/photos/101128carmel/_MG_8125.jpg

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

And hey, one with the 90:

http://1l1t.com/photos/120318_arch/1719_edit.jpg

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:19 PM
kiddik
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Wow! Lots of amazing photos! Especially fun to see inside NASA through such photos, stanj

I own the 17 TS-E and 24 TS-E II. Here are a few snaps from my home country of Iceland:

Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 - three horizontal frames stitched and exposure bracketed:

Sólheimajökull by Kiddi Kristjans, on Flickr

Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 - three horizontal frames stitched and exposure bracketed:

Hot Day at the Beach by Kiddi Kristjans, on Flickr

Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 - one frame shifted upwards for more sky coverage without converging the landscape

Gone fishing by Kiddi Kristjans, on Flickr

Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 - three vertical frames stitched. Red dots are not dead pixels but rather alive photographers

Aurorae by Kiddi Kristjans, on Flickr

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II - Three vertical frames stitched and then cropped to hide the vignette resulting from a huge stack of Lee filters 8-)

Hvaleyri by Kiddi Kristjans, on Flickr

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II - three vertical frames stitched and then cropped a bit

Lækjarvellir by Kiddi Kristjans, on Flickr

Even though the 17 TS-E is an unwordly lens capable of stuff no other lens can, the 24 TS-E II remains my favourite as it's the most versatile landscape lens I've ever tried. It's basically a 16.8-48mm lens (with help of extenders) that can take on a huge pile of filters without sweating and in some cases, can do macro too! (via tilting)

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

^^^^that is some awesome imagery^^^

Sounds like your 24 is your go to lens, impressive to see this work.

Karl

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.