Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              13       14       end

Archive 2013 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Since Canon is the preeminent maker of perspective control lenses, it seems only fair to have a thread featuring excellent examples of these sorts of lenses.

I'm sure TS-E lenses will dominate, but I'd like to keep the thread open to other makes of TS and PC lenses and adapters, as long as they are mounted on Canon bodies.

So bring out your 24mm TS-E II and your tilt-adapted Hasselblad Zeiss lens to strut your stuff!

I'll start out the thread with an image I shot today with a "new-to-me" Nikkor 35mm f/3.5 PC lens from the 1960s. Just got it yesterday and have been really enjoying it and it makes a great addition to my TS-E collection.

3-shot shifted panorama on 5D2, f/11, PP in LR4 and PSE10.

(Sorry, my camera incorrectly identifies Alt lenses as "50mm")

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    50mm    1/60s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

The Unit - TS-E24L - 1DsIII

Grand Central Terminal - TS-E17L - 1DsIII

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Psychic1 -- Beautiful shots! Your work like this was influential in my recent purchase of the 17 TS-E -- could not be happier with that lens.

We have so many talented people with TS lenses here on FM. Hopefully Peter Figen and others will contribute a few for this repository.

Here is another from the Nikkor 35/3.5 PC, as above. 3-shot shifted pano.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    50mm    1/800s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:31 PM
MaunaKea7007

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Jim,
I like this last image you posted, especially for 1.its limited (and good-looking) color palette 2. graphic quality.

I am a user of 45, 90, but mostly 17TSE lenses. I shoot real estate/hospitality/architecture (although a lot less of the last than I'd like.) Years ago -- about '74, '75? -- I switched from Nikon to Canon to be able to use the 35mm f2.8 Tilt and shift they offered at the time. I wish I still had that, especially because the ones on eBay start at $700 and go up to $1100. These are usually from outside the US so little recourse if not sharp or in the condition listed.

Has anyone evaluated the sharpness of the old 35mm TS side by side against the 45? My 45 ends up too long for so much of what I have to do indoors.

I assumed that there was no FD-to-EF mount that allowed focus at infinity, but seeing that you have a nikon mount for current Canon bodies, perhaps such a thing exists. I know it would be asking me to use any FD lens manually, and there is compatibility with both the breech lock and the later bayonet (if that's the right word) to take into account.

I'll dig around to see what I can post from my use of the 17.

jonathan7007

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:46 PM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Some quick choices. I usually don't use both tilt AND shift but in my view camera work years ago we did add tilt to brighten the image if it would help/not hurt the image, as extreme shift works at the edge of the image circle and there is usually a little fall-off. The kitchen counter shot has tilt.

http://www.jonathanrawle.com/p923108090/h66B81A28#h66b81a28
http://www.jonathanrawle.com/p923108090/h6C049853#h63ea0fbb
http://www.jonathanrawle.com/p923108090/h6C049853#h6c049853

These aren't perfect. I always have to move pretty fast and can't make art every shot.Sorry they don't just display in the post.

I have been wanting to use the 45 more... and I have considered buying a TC1.4 to add to the 17 to get an in-between TSE focal length. I have the 2x.. it seems so weird to add a TC to that 17, though, and there is rarely time to experiment on the shoot.

jonathan7007

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Jonathan -- Thanks for your kind comment regarding that shot. I've taken it several other times, but this was the best combination of focal length and IQ from color and contrast of the Nikkor lens.

This 35mm TS or PC topic is a tough area. I know exactly what you mean about the big hole between 24 and 45. The 35 is just wide enough to be useful in that spot. I was kind of surprised how wide it is as a shift lens -- seems wider than standard 35s just because you can get that movement. I owned one of these before (newer black knob version), but I tried to use it on Nikon crop DSLR with poor results.

The bad news is that the FD 35 will not focus to infinity on EOS bodies unless you do an expensive mount change. And as you noted, that is on top of the premium for the used lens.

I briefly bought into Nikon in the 80s to take advantage of their 28 PC lens -- so much wider than the Canon 35 TS at that time. When Canon came out with the 24 TS-E in the early 90s, I dropped the FE2 and 28 PC to help pay for that Canon lens.

I'm super-impressed with the Nikkor, and I strongly recommend trying it. Mine is in wonderful condition, bought off eBay for $200 plus $16 shipping. I sold my previous on eBay for under $300 a couple years ago. I have a standard Fotodiox Nikon F to EOS adapter, and that's it! It is totally manual, but the quality speaks for itself.

Here are a couple shots of the lens from today on the tripod. (And one more with some color from today!)

E-P2    1/100s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

E-P2    1/80s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

E-P2    1/160s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    50mm    1/400s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Not very much shift on that Nikkor. I will stick with the idea of the 17+TC and make sure I try it soon. The advantage of adding a 24TSE is the ability to add a polarizer, albeit with care to manage the loss of shift range. I had to buy an 82mm pola for the new 24-70 when I sold the v1 and bought the v2. Not amused.

I know there are solutions ($$$$$$$) for the 17. There are limits even when one has paying customers.

The 17 has been so valuable since I bought it.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:12 AM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

BTW, Jim, I really have benefited from adoption of that Manfrotto 410 geared head for use with the 17. A couple of weeks ago I also swapped the Manfrotto clamp (RC4) for arca-swiss system clamp set. (www.hejnarphotosales.com has several Manfrotto-to-AS kits). There are few geared heads and nothing else in that price range. (and size)

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

MaunaKea7007 wrote:
BTW, Jim, I really have benefited from adoption of that Manfrotto 410 geared head for use with the 17. A couple of weeks ago I also swapped the Manfrotto clamp (RC4) for arca-swiss system clamp set. (www.hejnarphotosales.com has several Manfrotto-to-AS kits). There are few geared heads and nothing else in that price range. (and size)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431861-REG/Acratech_1117_Leveling_Base.html

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:22 AM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Mr. Colwell,
I looked at the leveler and its (B&H) reviews, thank you. No one tells whether this is built to move in any direction? One axis at a time? Seems like it would have to sway in any combination to center a bubble level with one adjustment -- it was compared to a bowl system in one comment. Glad to know about it. Maybe I could skip taking the geared head in some situations.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

big country
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:47 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

5D MKII + Hartblei 40 with Zeiss glass - shifted in every direction to 10mm. Images stitched in photoshop and cropped into rectangular shape size

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

MaunaKea7007 wrote:
Mr. Colwell,
I looked at the leveler and its (B&H) reviews, thank you. No one tells whether this is built to move in any direction? One axis at a time? Seems like it would have to sway in any combination to center a bubble level with one adjustment -- it was compared to a bowl system in one comment. Glad to know about it. Maybe I could skip taking the geared head in some situations.

Well, yes, and no.

The link that I posted was for a leveling head, to use with the geared head.

Basically, you put the head (in this case M'otto 410) on top of the leveling base. The leveling base lets you get set up faster and more easily than without the leveling base. The leveling base doesn't replace the geared head, it simply lets you set up the geared head with "up" actually "up". After that, you're on your own.

Cheers, Jim

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:03 AM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Ah - OK. Both my tripods have bubbles so I get the base set and go from there. the Manfrotto's gears help with several kinds of tweaks. They also allow gross movements to get pointed the right way quickly. I also haven't taken the 17TSE out for landscape. So I start on a floor. But there are outdoor uses in front of a building, etc.

...although I suspect my old huge heavy Gitzo has a bubble level that is *wrong* which seems impossible in light of the simplicity of manufacture. (This is a Gitzo Tele-Studex -- 309, I think) that starts out at 33" long without head, 5 sections, and is wonderfully heavy.)

jonathan7007

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

MaunaKea7007 wrote:
.... I also haven't taken the 17TSE out for landscape.

Take it out.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:18 AM
MaunaKea7007

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

I should bring it out your way -- to those long sweeping views of the Atlantic coast from the seaside highway up and down your beautiful coast! I am a Pacific transplant and miss the grittier Atlantic, tall tide swings, seaweed, houses hunkered down against the biting winter, spare vegetation, big sky, sound of the fishermen heading seaward before dawn. Never got further Down East than Mt. Desert down in Maine. That's my spirit's home.

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

24mm TSE 3 shot pano..printed 30x75

45 TSE 3x3 shot pano

17 TSE 3 shot pano

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:57 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Thanks Jonathan and Jim for the tips about the geared head and leveling base. I've tried that head, and sort of liked it, but it was bulkier than I liked. I've got the giant M'frot ball head there an a Slik 700DX, and mainly use that tripod for my spotting scope (target shooting), as well as quickie photo work. The other is the 3051 and has the standard old 3047 head with short handles -- Stone Age, I know.

Nothing money won't solve!

Great shots Sunny, big country and burningheart!

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:26 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Jim - I'd like to see you put a RRS clamp on top of that Manfrotto. That would give you not only quicker mounting and unmounting, but let you shift the camera to compensate for the lens shift if you ever want to shift-stitch.

My favorite 35mm shift lens for Canon is the very hard to find Zeiss 35mm 2.8 PC Shift lens. It's one of the very few shift lenses where you can shift a full 12 mm horizontal on a horizontal frame and still have the far corners be good. A big, heave piece of glass with relatively close focus and floating elements.

Here's a prototype product shot I did for the Rolling Razor folks with the Zeiss.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:41 AM
RDDave

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon TS-E, TS, Shift and PC Images

Hello all,
I have a 17mm TSE a recently purchased 24mm TSE and I love using them. Here's a couple from to add to the thread, all shot with a 5Dmk2 and from up here in Alberta.
I've just started using the Manfrotto 410 Junior head on my tripod and I'm waiting for a clamp to arrive so I can use it with my L-plates.

Great pictures everyone !!!

Dave

Storm Clouds 12th June

Waterton Church Sunset

Peace Bridge Calgary

Wonderland

Church in Red Deer

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register