Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

Matt Tilghman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

Hey all! I use photoshop CS2, and haven't felt compelled to upgrade -- still don't.

But I just upgraded cameras, and my new one came bundled with PS Elements 11. Which of the two do you think is the more complete software? Are there key features of photoshop CS2 that are left off all PS elements?

If a key feature, for instance, is ACR, I can still use PS CS2 to convert raw to psd, then use it in elements... but does elements 11 have the new flagship features like content aware fill, and things like that? any real reason to use it over CS2?

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

Matt Tilghman wrote:
If a key feature, for instance, is ACR, I can still use PS CS2 to convert raw to psd, then use it in elements... but does elements 11 have the new flagship features like content aware fill, and things like that? any real reason to use it over CS2?

You won't be able to process the raw from any new camera in the old ACR from CS2 .

As you have the software why don't you give it a whirle ? The later couple of versions of elements are pretty complete bits of software . E11 does have its limits but you may be pretty surprised how high those are

Just a quick note , is the software that came with the camer (E11) the full deal ? I only ask as alot of times the 'free' bundled software that comes with these things tends to be either a trial or cut down option

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

oem-bundled, so maybe it's a trial...I'll have to check Thanks for the info!

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:55 PM
ebiggs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

I would go with Elements 11. CS2 actually got some of it's features from Elements 3. Not that, that makes any difference but the newer software will likely be better for you.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

The only significant limitation of Elements compared to CS2 is that it works primarily with 8 bit files instead of 16 bit. If you are doing a lot of manipulation of the files you may notice the difference, but for most basic post-processing I don't think the difference is noticeable.

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cherubino
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

I use both. PSE11 has a good refine mask feature, photo merge and more current raw processor.
CS2 has as paths, blend if, apply image, smart objects, 16 bit depth.
Cherubino

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

Why not use LR5 with your CS2?

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

The bit depth issue is there with Elements, but overrated IMHO. If you are processing your RAW files fully in the Elements RAW area then you get your colours/brightness correct with 16 bit goodness BEFORE opening the file as a mere 8 bit for resizing/retouching.

On that basis as you won't have to change your tones in the 8 bit space your completed images should still benefit from that 16 bit RAW goodness, and be hard to distinguish from a RAW opened and edited with full Photoshop in the vast majority of cases. Photoshop Elements is a stunning program in practice, and is very affordable.

Major difference though is that Elements doesn't support CMYK, but I doubt that will be a major problem for most.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:22 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

ARC in PSE is better then CS2 ACR however PSE does not support as fare as I know 16bit color depth for RAW. So if you want to use RAW to get the most from your camera you may be better off downloading Adobe DNG converter and converting your camera raw files to Adobe DNG raw format and using CS2 ACR to convert them to RGB images.

You could also buy LR and convert you RAW files to 16bit Tiff files and process those with CS2. I would keep CS2 its still a better editor then any version of PSE.

You can also still but CS6 however its $700 and has some bugs. In any case you should keep CS2.....

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photoshop CS2 vs PS Elements 11?

anthonygh wrote:
Why not use LR5 with your CS2?

Most likely due to the OP getting PSE11 for 'free' with his new camera .

But yes that would be my choosen path as well . For me very little needs to pass into photoshop from lr4

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password