Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

alexmacdougald

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked previously, but I was wondering if someone could tell me what is a fair price to pay for Nikon's 50mm 1.2 AIS? I've been looking at listings on ebay and the prices seem to range from around £350 used, all the way up to £600 for a brand new one, with lots of variation in between. Am considering buying one and just wanted to make sure I know what kind of price (on average) is worth paying for the lens (basically what does a good copy usually sell for). Also, in your experience, is this a lens that holds its value?

Thanks a lot in advance

Alex

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

PM sent

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:05 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

search the buy and sell forum and check the asks. At least you get an idea.

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:02 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

FWIW the Nikon 50/1.2 AIS retails new for US $ 699.95 in the states.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:14 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

check ebays completed listings [only the sold ones]. Throw out the top 3, and lowest 3...then average what is left.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

typical price range from $400 to $500 for excellent condition.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:34 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Looking at ebay price and this thread... I think maybe I should get one 50 1.2 for myself. I saw a local (Hong Kong) price watch web shows multiple listings of NEW 50 1.2, all under US$500.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Stdon
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

I recently got a 50mm f1.2 Ai through KEH ex+ for 450.00. No you don't need an AIS. The "S" part only applied to 3 camera bodies. It's been great on my D800.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Stdon wrote:
I recently got a 50mm f1.2 Ai through KEH ex+ for 450.00. No you don't need an AIS. The "S" part only applied to 3 camera bodies. It's been great on my D800.

Except that the AIS version has 9 aperture blades VS. 7 on the AI. It makes some lovely bokeh

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Stdon
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Have you seen the bokeh with an Ai?

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:43 AM
alexmacdougald

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Thanks everyone! Very helpful responses. Yes, I've read the 9 blade version is 'nicer' bokeh that its 7 blade sister. But then again, bokeh taste is a subjective thing.

$400-500 does seem like the going rate for good versions, based on what i've seen on ebay and the buy/sell forum here.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:52 AM
alexmacdougald

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

I've seen a number of HK sellers on ebay with prices a couple of hundred $ less than usual prices (speaking for lens in general). In your experience, what are HK dealers like? Are they reliable?

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:55 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

James gives some good advice on utilizing the advanced search function on E-Bay to determine what this lens is actually selling for in completed auctions. Listed prices can be absurdly high. There are a great many of these lenses listed because it is one of the few MF lenses Nikon continues to manufacture. If you like the "new car" smell you can buy a brand new lens.

It appears you should be able to pick up an older AI lens for below $400. The last AI lens was made in 1981 and as Ray notes has 7 aperture blades. I doubt the lens is chopped liver and I know that lenses 30+ years old are worth owning and using. I always wonder at Nikon's decision to change optical design but it is worth nothing their newer AI-s lenses have 9 aperture blades. Wide open the 50 f/1.2 has a distinctive bokeh that can be a bit jittery in some circumstances. I generally don't expect the kind of creamy bokeh I'll get with longer fast glass like the 85 f/1.4, 105 f/1.8 or 135 f/2. I mention that to suggest 7 versus 9 blades may not be the most important consideration. Lens condition will be more important in my determination.

Of course, I own a high serial number AI-s manufactured after 2006. Those lenses will definitely command a premium but you should be able to pick up an EX+ copy of an AI-s for around $450, especially if you're willing to buy from a Japanese dealer. I did that recently for the first time with another old lens and the transaction was one of the best I've ever had. I would definitely do it again. Of course, we don't have VAT in this country, so there was no customs charge for importing this lens. I appreciate matters can be different in other countries.

Good luck. This is a very distinctive lens that is a pleasure to use.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Didn't the AIS lenses also have better coatings than the AI's?

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

I see nothing mentioned in photosynthesis.co.nz, which is the bible for these lenses Perhaps some of the aberrations found in bokeh for the lens would be reduced with better internal coating but I'm not certain of that. I do know from shooting with a great many older MF lenses that one doesn't need the latest and greatest coating to get outstanding results from a lens. I've no doubt that lens manufacturers are refining such things but I also know that marketing demands there be something to make the newer product more appealing. Typically, older MF lenses are so affordable that one can experiment for oneself. I bought the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd despite the fact I own a pristine copy of the 50 f/1.2 AI-s and am glad I did. Older lenses are fun to shoot with, it is as simple as that.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

I have no idea about those HK ebay dealers. I have never done any business with them. Some ebay sellers from HK are probably tiny office (or even individuals) inside an old building (not saying that they are not reliable, just not well known among locals).

This one from Japan appeared on my ebay radar... but since the price for a new one here seems not much higher, maybe I can let you take a look.
a 50 1.2 on ebay from Japan
They had one @$398, sold a few days ago.
[note: I am not in any way connected with the seller]

This is the price watch site I was refering to (it is in Chinese, but you get an idea about what the local price here... US$1=HK$7.8). But I haven't checked whether they are actually selling at that price or have stock.
http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=138205

Compare that to ebay price.... maybe I can buy one, use it and make a profit on ebay!
I'm really tempted to get one, just not sure if the older 55 1.2 is better; a friend went for 55mm, saying that the bokeh of the older lens is better, not as harsh.

Hope that helps.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
edl415
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

I have purchased from the Japanese ebay seller ytwong linked above, and it was exceptional in terms of product, packaging, shipping and communication. I would buy from them again.

The 50/1.2 is an interesting lens. I have the AIS flavor. For most purposes the 50/1.8G lens is better, but the 50/1.2 shot wide open is very interesting, and stopped down to f/2 is extremely sharp.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:25 PM
alexmacdougald

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Thanks for the links and the advice! It's true the 50 1.8G is probably the more versatile of the two. But, the pictures I've seen coming from the 50 1.2 are special (in my opinion), especially wide open of course. Most importantly, though, is that they have character, which is what I'm trying to look for That's what I reckon anyway.

Would love the Noct-Nikkor 58mm, but that's out of my budget!

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

edl415 wrote:
I have purchased from the Japanese ebay seller ytwong linked above, and it was exceptional in terms of product, packaging, shipping and communication. I would buy from them again.

darn good price and the quality is excellent. I paid more for my lens and the condition is not as good as that lens.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:13 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How much should one pay for NIkon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

I just found that the lens is not discontinued and the MSRP here is $3970...~US$500

http://www.nikon.com.hk/en_HK/product_details.page?DCRPath=templatedata/en_HK/saleable_product_information/data/Nikkor%20Lenses/FX%20Format/Manual%20Focus%20Lenses/Normal/50mm%20f1.2.xml&CategoryID=gp11zkqa¤tTab=gp11zkqt¤tLink=gp11zkrf

I have multiple 50mm (but not the later generations), but having a 1.2 lens at a reasonable price sonds good.

I saw a 58 Noct on the bay.... definitly out of my price range... it's now at $2650 and is still "reserve not met", you can try harder

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.