Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Under the milky way

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Under the milky way

Hi! Nice image but. It's odd to see a few stars in the water. I would revise the compositing since they should start fading out as they get closer to the horizon. Also, the opening of the cove looks way wider than it is in real life. I realize you were probably right next or close to the wooden bridge on the path but even with a 14mm lens you would see the bluff on the north side of the cove with the evergreens. I like that it was low tide since more rocks are showing which is nice. The vegetation on the bottom looks way out of focus and/or blurry. If you are going to do a composition of several images anyway might as well make one capture of the foliage in the foreground so it comes out nice since its a big part of the composition.

thx for posting!

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Langran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Under the milky way

That's a great shot as pages of other people have said. You did mention that you welcome constructive criticism and I always try to give that wherever possible even if I may not be the most qualified person about to provide it. I feel like the image is over sharpened - this shows up in the mid ground rocks. It works ok for the stars but I think it detracts from the brighter tones on the rock. I am however judging this on a web sized image so take it with a pinch of salt. All round amazing shot though and welcome, please do keep posting!

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Under the milky way

Hello Yan, and welcome. It's refreshing to see a different take on such an iconic location. I especially like how the Milky Way sort of echoes the shape of the falling water below. I have to agree with Sneakyracer about the stars: they do seem to be crossing over the water. If it's not a compositing problem and is just an illusion, you might consider cloning out the offending stars anyway just to avoid having a confusing passage in the frame.

I'm not sure I agree with Sneakyracer about the foliage, though; yes, sharper foliage would be better, but what he is proposing would be just about the most difficult blend possible (high-ISO shot of foliage + long-exposure shot of moving water behind it = eek!).

Anyway, it's a charming photo of a beautiful location!

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:34 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Under the milky way

Well hot damn that's a good entrance. Killer shot. With the D800 you can get a much cleaner sky that what is showing here (very noisey) but that's just for web. Great work.

aF

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
yaner

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Under the milky way

Sneakyracer wrote:
Hi! Nice image but. It's odd to see a few stars in the water. I would revise the compositing since they should start fading out as they get closer to the horizon. Also, the opening of the cove looks way wider than it is in real life. I realize you were probably right next or close to the wooden bridge on the path but even with a 14mm lens you would see the bluff on the north side of the cove with the evergreens. I like that it was low tide since more rocks are showing which is nice. The
...Show more

Thanks for pointing out the stars in the water, I didn't even notice. My blending skill is still not very good, need to learn more about it.

About the foreground, I didn't change anything except I cloned a little rock on the right left corner. This picture was blended from two images, for night photography, this always my case. Foliage in the foreground was not easy to get focused in the dark though.

Again, thanks for pointing out about the stars, I will fix it.

Yan

Edited on Jun 17, 2013 at 05:21 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:15 AM
yaner

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Under the milky way

Langran wrote:
That's a great shot as pages of other people have said. You did mention that you welcome constructive criticism and I always try to give that wherever possible even if I may not be the most qualified person about to provide it. I feel like the image is over sharpened - this shows up in the mid ground rocks. It works ok for the stars but I think it detracts from the brighter tones on the rock. I am however judging this on a web sized image so take it with a pinch of salt. All round amazing shot though
...Show more

Yes, I always welcome CC. I didn't do much sharpen for the foreground, but did it for the stars as you noticed. About the brighter tones on the rock, I noticed it too during post processing, I kind like it so I kept it this way.

Again, thank for your suggestions.
Yan

Edited on Jun 17, 2013 at 05:20 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:19 AM
yaner

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Under the milky way

Phrasikleia wrote:
Hello Yan, and welcome. It's refreshing to see a different take on such an iconic location. I especially like how the Milky Way sort of echoes the shape of the falling water below. I have to agree with Sneakyracer about the stars: they do seem to be crossing over the water. If it's not a compositing problem and is just an illusion, you might consider cloning out the offending stars anyway just to avoid having a confusing passage in the frame.

I'm not sure I agree with Sneakyracer about the foliage, though; yes, sharper foliage would be better, but what he
...Show more

Thank you very much for pointing out, I noticed that stars after read Sneakyracer's post, i am not so good with blending, I will fix it. About foliage, I agreed with you.

Yan

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Under the milky way

Very well done, and welcome to the Landscape Forum. I really like how the milky way points right to the cove, and mimics the waterfall. It looks like something from a dream. Very cool!

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:36 AM
mullysr

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Under the milky way

Superb work Yan. I will have to try this next time in the area.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:43 AM
khilleg
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Under the milky way

This may be your first post here, but you are definitely no beginner. This is an awesome shot!

SIGH, these shots make me want to sell my 5D and get something newer...

Kevin

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Under the milky way

Hi Yan,

Welcome to FM Landscape. You had some really cool vision with this shot, you certainly gave a cool twist to an old favorite. I definitely look forward to your joining us here and growing with the rest of us.

Jim

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:20 AM
voltaire
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Under the milky way

Amazing shot. I've been in that same area last year. Amazing execution.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:04 PM
yaner

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Under the milky way

Thank for your nice comments

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:03 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Under the milky way

Beautiful composition and execution.

You might try working on the noise a little, in the Star region. It looks a little pushed. But a great photo.

Thanks for sharing,

Eric

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:32 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Under the milky way

A lovely image.

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:33 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Under the milky way

Hi Yan, I remember seeing this on your flickr not too long ago. What can I say, but amazing and inspiring!

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:53 PM
mhsinca
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Under the milky way

WOW...outstanding photo! Thanks for sharing.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Under the milky way

Wow, super shot and something I'd be proud to be able to emulate one day.

Jun 22, 2013 at 08:03 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Under the milky way

Congrats!

Jun 22, 2013 at 04:45 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Under the milky way

Beautiful shot, Yan! I knew right away (from the thumbnail!) that it was Big Sur. Gorgeous.

Jun 22, 2013 at 06:14 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password