Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 1DX real battery life

joonrhee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 1DX real battery life

Hello,

I think a new 1DX battery is rated for 1120 shots, but doesn't it last longer than that?

I have a sporting event to shoot (normally around 1000-1300 shots) this weekend, and was debating whether I should buy an additional battery. Since this is once or twice a year thing, I would much rather not buy an extra battery, but just wanted to get some feedback from other 1DX users.

Just FYI, I only got the 1DX two weeks ago and hadn't had a decent chance to fully test the battery. Thanks!

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:30 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 1DX real battery life

Having a spare battery is always a good idea. Also, the weather conditions play a part in the battery life. I can't comment on how long it actually lasts, since I do not own one, but I've always kept at least 2 batteries for each body I own. Never know when one might randomly die.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:43 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #3 · 1DX real battery life

joonrhee wrote:
Hello,

I think a new 1DX battery is rated for 1120 shots, but doesn't it last longer than that?

I have a sporting event to shoot (normally around 1000-1300 shots) this weekend, and was debating whether I should buy an additional battery. Since this is once or twice a year thing, I would much rather not buy an extra battery, but just wanted to get some feedback from other 1DX users.

Just FYI, I only got the 1DX two weeks ago and hadn't had a decent chance to fully test the battery. Thanks!

For anything important - especially paying assignments - have a backup.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:50 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #4 · 1DX real battery life

IS use increases current drain appreciably. Keep that in mind in your calculation.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:51 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 1DX real battery life

The 1DX battery typically last longer than 1120 shots. Usually about twice that for me. However, I agree with the others that you should carry a spare. I like to stick with Canon batteries rather than aftermarket. If the price is too high, consider looking for used LP-E4 batteries. They don't last quite as long as the LP-E4n, but close enough and can typically be found for about $50. LensRentals.com often has used batteries for sale.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 1DX real battery life

I'd definitely get a second battery. I have a 1DX and 1DIV, and I always take at least one spare battery for each body.

Don't forget, a battery can fail... It's never happened to me, but if it does, it'll be because I don't have a backup.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX real battery life

Yea, it is a bit of a battery hog, especially in colder weather. And yes, constant IS use will drain it quicker.

I have a few LP-E4 batteries which work fine in the X and are MUCH cheaper than the E4N version.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:19 PM
joonrhee
• •
p.1 #8 · 1DX real battery life

Ok, I'm taking all your advice. I have just sent my driver to Samy's Camera to pick up a brand new LP-E4N at $169 (and NO TAX!!). They were originally selling for $179 but asked to match B&H's price and they did. On top of that, they are having a NO TAX day. Awesome!!

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 1DX real battery life

Man! Quick! Send your driver back to get a few more.

Wait a minute. You have a driver and you're worried about the cost for a spare battery - does not compute!

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:18 PM
tsproul1

p.1 #10 · 1DX real battery life

I've taken 2,500+ shots and the battery meter still said 1/2 full while shooting sports.

The number they give is an average. For sports, you are often taking 3-10 frames in a burst at fast shutter and open aperture. The amount of battery energy used/frame is less than if you took the same number of frames as single clicks. Shutter speed, aperture, time spent composing, etc. all affect frames/charge.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joonrhee
• •
p.1 #11 · 1DX real battery life

jcolwell wrote:
Man! Quick! Send your driver back to get a few more.

Wait a minute. You have a driver and you're worried about the cost for a spare battery - does not compute!

:lol: I only have few staffs under my control and driver/messenger is one of them. I just didn't want to spend money on something I won't be using much, but hey you guys bought me into it. Just in case it goes wrong, I guess I do need a spare.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 1DX real battery life

joonrhee wrote:
... I just didn't want to spend money on something I won't be using much...

Good business ethic.

joonrhee wrote:
... Just in case it goes wrong, I guess I do need a spare.

Exactly.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 1DX real battery life

I won't bother to ask about a spare camera and lens...

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:26 PM
joonrhee
• •
p.1 #14 · 1DX real battery life

jcolwell wrote:
I won't bother to ask about a spare camera and lens...

I have enough lens, but I only have 1 body. :lol: But, I can't afford another 1DX as I recently got rid of 2 x 5DIII to get this 1DX. I'll trust the 1DX's durability until I find a smaller and cheaper backup.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 1DX real battery life

6D is nice. OTOH, it needs at least two batteries...

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #16 · 1DX real battery life

Buy one of your 5D3 bodies back as a back up camera and second shooting body.

The life of the battery also depends on how often and for how long you use the rear LCD to review images. IS usage was all ready mentioned. Autofocus drive time also uses a fair amount of energy. I agree with others that most of the time you can get many more than the 1120 shots on one battery, but if a shooting session really turns out good, and you are doing a lot of high frame rate bursts, it is not that hard to shoot a lot of images in one day. I have shot over 6000 shots in one day at an air show, on a 1D4, and did use the spare battery that day.

The extra battery is always a good idea, even if you never happen to need it. I always rotate my spare into my camera, for the next time I am out shooting, so that I exercise both of them, and still do also fully charge both of them before I go out to use the camera. The nice dual charger makes that a simple thing to do. Another thing that a spare battery is good for is if you happen to forget to charge your batteries, or end up without enough time to charge them, because you likely have a lot of shots available on your spare.

Enjoy the 1DX. I find it a fantastic camera for a wide variety of shooting.

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · 1DX real battery life

For a one day shooting the battery will easy last 4-5k shots if shooting bursts.

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:57 PM
joonrhee
• •
p.1 #18 · 1DX real battery life

Roland W wrote:
Buy one of your 5D3 bodies back as a back up camera and second shooting body.

The life of the battery also depends on how often and for how long you use the rear LCD to review images. IS usage was all ready mentioned. Autofocus drive time also uses a fair amount of energy. I agree with others that most of the time you can get many more than the 1120 shots on one battery, but if a shooting session really turns out good, and you are doing a lot of high frame rate bursts, it is not
...Show more

That is what I'm planning to do with a new battery. I'm planning to rotate them, as I want to avoid recharging when I'm at about 50% or more. I'm assuming it'd be better to recharge when the battery is on a low side rather than when it's still holding 60-70% charge?

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · 1DX real battery life

Lars Johnsson wrote:
For a one day shooting the battery will easy last 4-5k shots if shooting bursts.

Yes, but this information would encourage the OP to not buy an extra battery.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM
joonrhee
• •
p.1 #20 · 1DX real battery life

jcolwell wrote:
Yes, but this information would encourage the OP to not buy an extra battery.

It's ok. Too late. I have a brand new battery in my hands now. I'm pretty sure I won't need it this weekend, but who knows right? Better safe than sorry.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password