Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · CPS frustration?

RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · CPS frustration?

Canon repairs have gone up in the last year, labor has nearly doubled as you've noted. On the other hand parts haven't gone up much at Canon, while at Nikon parts and labor have both increased a lot. It does sound like you got put in the wrong work category otherwise.

Andrew mentioned his surprise at how they estimate things by just looking at the outside of the lens. As someone who handles around 3,500 repairs a year I'm not the least bit surprised. I'm about 75% accurate at knowing what repair is needed by simply knowing what the problem and the lens is. Hand me a 24-70 f/2.8 II that's been dropped and has rough focus and I know the filter barrel is dented and will need to be replaced, takes 20 minutes or so. A 24-70 Mk I with the same story and symptoms has a broken helicoid collar and will take a couple of hours to disassemble, replace, and optically adjust the lens afterwards. I'm sure the techs at Canon are more accurate than I am.

I'm doing my lens repair data numbers for the last year and Canon is tied for first in quickest repair turnaround and lowest average cost per repair overall for the last year. Not perfect, by any means, but better than the competition.

Edited on Jun 16, 2013 at 08:15 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · CPS frustration?

As someone who 1 is not a cps member and 2 is not in the us which means the cps membership here is different ( ie cost )to yours .

Here's what comes to mind ,
Cps membership for you is a lot easier to get (ie it's just a gear ownership thing rather than being a 'pro') which means a lot more people are now members .

Now if your labour rates are X and your having to discount those rates a lot more then your going to put your rates up to Y to make the same profit
Canon should really rename CPS to Canon Enthusiast Services

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:46 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · CPS frustration?

Wahoowa wrote:
I think you're both correct.

Repairs will be done by the same techs, but they do have CPS office that handles CPS customers, hence, CPS members have a separated hotline.

I would like to detail how accurate they CPS hotline is.

I called one time in regards to my one MKIII being a real turd, and when I called the CPS hotline they told me to ask for a guy at the Jamesburg facility that he was the "cps rep" at Jamesburg. Sounds great, huh?

I cannot for the life of me recall the name, but it was a guy with an Italian name (if memory serves on the last name). I called the number on Monday and asked for him...he had been retired for years.

Jun 16, 2013 at 07:12 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.2 #4 · CPS frustration?

So here is another lesson I have learned when calling CPS. If it is about a repair - call the direct facility number listed in your CPS account.

Jun 17, 2013 at 08:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password