Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · CPS frustration?

drew.bowser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CPS frustration?

I sent in my 16-35L v1 into canon to have the filter ring replaced (filter damage) lens is fully functional no issues...

I get an invoice/estimate back that after my CPS gold discount it is going to be around $250 for major labor charge. I have sent in gear more times that I can count and didn't ever have any major labor charge except when they had to replace an element and IS assembly in a 70-200 - the repair on that ended up being around $300...

I feel like Canon never used to nickel and dime CPS repairs but now they are getting so expensive its getting a bit absurd!

Not to mention I cant make any sense of the math on the estimate... No matter how I plug in the numbers they do not work out...

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CPS frustration?

So what did they say when you called to inquire about the charge and tell them your previous history?

Seriously, you need to follow-up with them until you are satisfied.

To answer your original question: I've had outstanding results and gotten some smoking repair deals over the years from CPS. I have more than once had to send an item back until I was satisfied, but I've always ended satisfied, and only needed to return a few items out of the many, many I've sent in.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:12 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CPS frustration?

Sorry.

I have always had excellent experiences with cps

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CPS frustration?

Lets put it this way - October of '11 I sent the same lens in and had them replace the actual lens mount - this time the lens went in for a new filter ring and the price is 4x as much.

Granted, the first time I sent it in it was CPS Platinum and now I am gold but in the case that it was in ratio, the repair should have been around $135 or so this time and not almost $250. I am on hold waiting to hear from a CPS tech.

Now, if they are replacing half of all the internals, then I understand, but the estimate only quotes for the ring and weather seal (which is standard in any repair)

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:16 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CPS frustration?

jerbear00 wrote:
Sorry.

I typically have too! I just couldn't believe the price when I got the quote!

-----

OK! So I finally talked to the CPS department manager at VA and they explained a few things to me that make a lot of sense. Prices have gone up, but the last time they repaired my lens they gave me a standard labor charge not a major. The first CPS Girl I talked to , who was rather rude, did not even attempt to explain that. After explaining my situation and talking with the CPS manager about the sticker shock, she pulled an extra 10% off for me which brought it down around $25 - which is better than nothing.

In doing the math, the labor charge the first time was $125 before CPS and this time is was $269 before CPS.

So Lesson learned - CPS is a lot more expensive than it used to be!

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CPS frustration?

I was quoted a +$350.00 front element replacement after CPS discount, for my canon 24-105mm.
It started showing what I took as front element coating flacking - did try to clean it up with a lens cleaning solution, but did not work,
Before attempting anything else, and as it was due to a check anyway, I send it for C&C with a voucher.
They emailed me with a quote and saying that the front element was damaged/chipped. Therefore the suggested replacement and cost.
I said no and upon return took it to a local camera repair. The tech took a close look with a magnifying glass, and then grabbed a botle of eclipse. Did the cleaning right in front of me, and the spots just vanished - " there is no glass damage at all - it was just some oily/sticky spraying you got in it, nothing else" (no charge btw)

So:
Canon : -1
local RS: +1

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CPS frustration?

Yes, everything is expensive with CPS nowadays.

No matter what the problem with the product is, they will first take a quick glance at it and read the problem you describe, then they'll classify it as minor, standard or major and quote you a flat rate for it. If you contact them to ask what the problem is, they wouldn't know because they won't really touch it before getting paid. (The situation with Bacalhau is a good example for this. They just took his words for it regarding the front element and gave him a quote.)

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM
RichFisher
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CPS frustration?

jerbear00 wrote:
Sorry.

+1. Great service, and often no charge for extras.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CPS frustration?

My experience is with CPS Canada. It's all been good.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CPS frustration?

In the last month I had four trips to CPS. I watched very carefully as they bid complicated internal repairs by only looking at the exterior condition of long lenses. The worst damaged lens was in a car wreck but was bid the lowest (no visible damage). The fact that your lens has any noticeable exterior damage or heavy wear does not bode well when they are estimating.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CPS frustration?

CPS has been nothing but great for me... Even now, I have my out of warranty 5D3 in with them currently and a 1.4x III to get f/8 AF issue resolved (no AF with my 400 f/5.6) and they are processing it through as "In Warranty - No Charge". I thought for sure this time they would charge me to fix the 5D3, but luckily not! In the past they have done the same, sending back the check/clean certificates I sent in with the items.

I have nothing but great things to say about CPS, so far... My repair facility is NJ though, so each facility may be a bit different.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:39 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CPS frustration?

The way I understand it, you don't send your equipment to "cps." You're a cps member, and that entitles you to discounted and priority service at canon service centers.

Your problem is with the service center, and not cps.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CPS frustration?

RobertLynn wrote:
...Your problem is with the service center, and not cps.

+1

OTOH, for a CPS member, the expectation is to get good service, regardless.

Of course, non-CPS folks have the same expectation - good service.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:51 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CPS frustration?

I have had pretty good experience but often you don't actually get CPS but a call center. They can look thing up and it seems like you are talking to CPS but you aren't. I make sure I call directly to Irvine etc now as this was never explained to me, they just acted like they were CPS.

I have sent in lens and 3 out of 4 times they said the circuit board needed replacement, even though that is not why I sent the lens in. Sometimes you can get a good manager in the center and sometimes not. They can do more than they let on as I was overseas and they said they could only ship in the US. Now if you are shooting somewhere and need service that doesn't work as the world is where I work not just the US. By email I got a hold of a manager and finally he emailed, yes they would send it by express. Done but you have to squeak some though you shouldn't have to.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CPS frustration?

jamato8 wrote:
...I was overseas and they said they could only ship in the US. Now if you are shooting somewhere and need service that doesn't work as the world is where I work not just the US. By email I got a hold of a manager and finally he emailed, yes they would send it by express. Done but you have to squeak some though you shouldn't have to.

Based on a recent survey of CPS Canada members, it appears that CPS Canada is negotiating with CPS organizations around the world, to improve service for members who are "out of country". I do that a lot, and so it looks good to me.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CPS frustration?

RobertLynn wrote:
The way I understand it, you don't send your equipment to "cps." You're a cps member, and that entitles you to discounted and priority service at canon service centers.

Your problem is with the service center, and not cps.

Not from what I understood from the CPS manager. I believe that there is an office at each service center to handle CPS and then there is a main CPS hotline to call for information. I spoke with BOTH. The CPS hotline is pretty much an information line and they cant do anything - but EACH service center has a difference office for CPS. The manager I talked to actually went and pulled my lens off the bench and checked it out.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:52 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CPS frustration?

Today I received by far my most quizzical factory service center response letter to date.

I sent my 5DIII in for an AF issue the second time. This letter states that

"the adjustment of the af [sic] assembly was incorrect causing the autofocus to operate improperly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the af assembly. Product functions were confirmed".

Then in the section containing the legalese, they state:

"The problem necessitating this repair is not covered by the limited warranty for your product. Accordingly, this repair is being provided to you as courtesy only..."

The camera is less then a year old, and I'm the original owner.

I hope they didn't just reset the EEPROM or firmware, wipe out my manual adjust settings and call it done.

Well, I'll test it and see how it behaves, to start.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:01 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CPS frustration?

If you aren't satisfied or feel like you're getting jobbed on the price, call CPS. It sounds like you have the invoices to show that the labor charge is out of line.

I have never had a problem with them that wasn't corrected after a phone call.

Jay

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:47 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CPS frustration?

drew.bowser wrote:
Not from what I understood from the CPS manager. I believe that there is an office at each service center to handle CPS and then there is a main CPS hotline to call for information. I spoke with BOTH. The CPS hotline is pretty much an information line and they cant do anything - but EACH service center has a difference office for CPS. The manager I talked to actually went and pulled my lens off the bench and checked it out.

Same techs, same lines, we just get pushed ahead of non-CPS members. I was told this by the NJ service center.

Fixing a piece of equipment is the same, regardless of whether or not we are CPS...it's not like it gets "cps parts" or "cps fixed" where everyone else gets "shit fixed" or "shit parts."

I could be wrong, or could have been informed wrong, but which seems more likely?

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CPS frustration?

RobertLynn wrote:
Same techs, same lines, we just get pushed ahead of non-CPS members. I was told this by the NJ service center.

Fixing a piece of equipment is the same, regardless of whether or not we are CPS...it's not like it gets "cps parts" or "cps fixed" where everyone else gets "shit fixed" or "shit parts."

I could be wrong, or could have been informed wrong, but which seems more likely?

I think you're both correct.

Repairs will be done by the same techs, but they do have CPS office that handles CPS customers, hence, CPS members have a separated hotline.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password