Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

eugen1973
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

I don't know if this has been discussed here before, how do you guys get your Lightroom pictures in chronological order when importing from two different cards from two different cameras? For some stupid reason Windows 8 changes the creation time from the actual creation time to the time the file gets copied to the HDD.
Any advice greatly appreciated,
Eugen

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:41 PM
amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

Rename on import HH.MM.SS.MM.DD.YY.

Rename again at the end of the job. (ie: "Client_W_001.jpg, etc.")

Win should not be changing anything. What are you importing with? You should just copy them to the drive manually; then import.

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:45 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-sync-multiple-camera-time-stamps-in-lightroom-4

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:40 PM
eugen1973
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

Rename on import HH.MM.SS.MM.DD.YY.

Rename again at the end of the job. (ie: "Client_W_001.jpg, etc.")

Win should not be changing anything. What are you importing with? You should just copy them to the drive manually; then import.

I use the card reader in my computer and import one card, them the other. I don't change anything but when I look at the folder with all the pictures, when I sort them by date created the ones from the first card show first followed by the ones from the second card. Windows changes the creation time and date to the copy date and time.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:53 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

What shows in Wondows shouldn't matter. You will be able to sort by time captured in LR.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:00 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

Be sure to sync the time & date on your camera's, then let LR do the sorting.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:01 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

You can also use the metadata filter to pick one of the cameras and then Edit Capture Time from the Metadata menu to get them perfectly synced after import.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

tomrock wrote:
You can also use the metadata filter to pick one of the cameras and then Edit Capture Time from the Metadata menu to get them perfectly synced after import.

LR provides options for setting a specific time for individual images, and/or adjusting by "x" number of hours to take care of time zone issues. AFAIK LR does not provide a way to make incremental adjustments in minutes & seconds, but this program might work.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:49 AM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

BigIronCruiser wrote:
AFAIK LR does not provide a way to make incremental adjustments in minutes & seconds.

Actually, it does. Adjust to a specified date and time (the first radio button in the dialog) actually adjusts all the selected images relatively.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

You can certainly adjust the time incrementally to a single or batch of photos in Lightroom:

But this isn't going to solve the OP's problem if windows is re-timing when the photos were taken, because it will just end up being when the file was created on the computer. This sounds like a major problem, but I'm still not buying that Windows is indeed altering the capture time upon import. eugen1973 can you take a screenshot of Lightroom and show us some more data so we can help?

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

In the folder with the files do this:

View>Sort by>More>Check the box for "Date taken">Click OK

Go back View>Sort by and select Date taken/Ascending

That should get everything in the proper order.

- Also, make sure you don't have the images grouped by "Camera model" because that would override any other settings in your folder.

(something tells me that last thing may do the trick)

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM
eugen1973
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

Thanks everybody for the helpful input. I solved the problem.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom Chronological File Import

tomrock wrote:
Actually, it does. Adjust to a specified date and time (the first radio button in the dialog) actually adjusts all the selected images relatively.

Oops. My bad, and thanks for straightening me out. Guess I should've read everything in the dialog box.

Jun 15, 2013 at 04:22 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password