Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

With the current price of $355 for the EOS-M, plus $150 for EOS adaptor, I am seriously considering displacing my NEX 5N package (5N, flash, EVF,16mm 2.8, 50 1.8 OSS, 18-55 OSS, and 55-210 OSS (coming).

The NEX 5N is nice and I particularly like the 50mm 1.8 OSS lens. But I like that the EOS-M, with the EOS adaptor, would serve as both a capable light weight camera, as the 5N does now, but also fit in my camera bag to back up my 5dIII without adding much weight or requiring a separate lens line up. The 5N EVF is great but is not a deal breaker for me. I believe the 22mm lens will top or match the Sony 16mm, but I don't see a light weight equal to the Sony 50 1.8 OSS. I can sell the NEX set and come out okay.

Video is important to me as well as stills and the EOS-M appears to have some nice video features.

What are your thoughts on getting one to add to your kit or displacing a NEX, 4/3ths camera, P&S, or other with the EOS-M at this price point?

Thanks
Steve

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM
donmega
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

Steve, at that price, that's exactly what I did. Despite the nay-sayers and boo-birds, I picked up the EOS-M 22mm Kit to complement my 1D MkIV as an all-day, everyday carry camera. It is superb in that role.

I also have ordered the EF/EF-s adaptor ($69) and the EF-M 18-55mm lens ($128) from a vendor on ebay. I haven't received the adaptor yet, but I have the 18-55 and it's a nice addition. It's a great little package for my lunchtime jaunts around the neighborhood/park where I work. It's far from the "perfect" camera, but, for the value it suits me very well.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

The NEX has 10fps, 60p video, best-in-class optional EVF, tilt screen, better low ISO DR, better JPEG engine, better battery life, focus peaking, faster focusing. The EOS-M has EF lens compatibility with adapter but so does the NEX with the Speed Booster adapter (albeit much more expensive and slower AF).

Btw, the EOS-M EF adapter is on sale from BigValue for $70

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM
donmega
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

snapsy wrote:
Btw, the EOS-M EF adapter is on sale from BigValue for $70

Yep, that's the one I purchased. I wasn't sure if I could say that.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

was next to a guy that had am 'M' the other day . Its the first one ive seen in the 'wild' and i must say its much smaller than i ever thought (even having seen on in a store) .
He had the 18-55 mounted and said he had bought it as his go everywhere camera and was very impressed with it (his main gear was "FF with a few L's ) . He didnt have the adapter with him otherwise I would have let him mount my 120-300 OS on it just for kicks .

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

As a previous 5N owner, I have also been tempted to buy an EOS M. The factors in favor of EOS M are the current price, the 22mm f2 lens and compatibility with the EOS lenses.

If NEX had a pancake like that I would definitely not consider EOS M over NEX. NEX has a great sensor and overall a faster camera compared to EOS M specially in terms of AF. And as a system EOS M doesn't really have any interesting lenses other than the 22mm f2.

As a system I would also prefer m43 over EOS M. The latest m43 bodies like E-PM2 have IQ on par with EOS M, the form factor with the panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens is very similar, the AF is much faster, bodies have built in image stabilization and as a system m43 has a great selection of lenses.

However an E-PM2 + 20mm 1.7 would cost much more than what you can get the EOS M for these days. At its current price EOS M is so cheap that I might just get it as a "fixed lens" P&S permanently glued to the 22mm f2 lens.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

I'm confused. What do you think the EOS-M is capable of doing that the NEX 5N is not capable of doing better in the role of "backup to 5DM3"? Both cameras need an adapter to use your EF lenses. If you throw one of the AF capable NEX-EOS adapters onto the NEX 5N, I'm not aware of any EOS-M advantage.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

curious80 wrote:
As a previous 5N owner, I have also been tempted to buy an EOS M. The factors in favor of EOS M are the current price, the 22mm f2 lens and compatibility with the EOS lenses.

If NEX had a pancake like that I would definitely not consider EOS M over NEX. NEX has a great sensor and overall a faster camera compared to EOS M specially in terms of AF. And as a system EOS M doesn't really have any interesting lenses other than the 22mm f2.

As a system I would also prefer m43 over EOS M. The latest
...Show more

The Panasonic GX1 is on closeout for $200 to 250 at a lot of places. Nice little camera with 16MP CMOS, metal body and available EVF if you're not into arm's length shooting. That 20mm 1.7 price never seems to go below $350 but I bought a 14mm F2.5 for $200 and it's a great pocket combo.

longisland.km wrote:
I'm confused. What do you think the EOS-M is capable of doing that the NEX 5N is not capable of doing better in the role of "backup to 5DM3"? Both cameras need an adapter to use your EF lenses. If you throw one of the AF capable NEX-EOS adapters onto the NEX 5N, I'm not aware of any EOS-M advantage.

Men need new toys and buying new gear and selling your old is all part of the fun. If you do everything based on need and logic life wouldn't be any fun at all. Of course the menus of the NEX are a PITA compared to EOS so there is some logic to sticking to a similar system.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

Why not just get a Metabones EF-to-E Speed Booster for the NEX-5N to enable it as a backup to your EF lenses?

Relative to the EOS-M, you get a better sensor, an EVF, a better selection of native (and often stabilized) lenses, roughly the same crappy PDAF-lenses by CDAF (or at worst, manual focusing with auto-zoom), and more market/aftermarket support. Not to mention using your EF lenses with an added stop of light (on APS-C, ends up roughly equivalent to FF).

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:01 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

Gochugogi wrote:
Men need new toys and buying new gear and selling your old is all part of the fun. If you do everything based on need and logic life wouldn't be any fun at all. Of course the menus of the NEX are a PITA compared to EOS so there is some logic to sticking to a similar system.

Right on the money , I would say. Better than taking on a new mistress or concubine in your case, that is .

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

longisland.km wrote:

I'll have to look into one of the EOS AF adapters with auto focus. I wasn't aware of them. Any good or bad experiences with these? They seem to run from $200 to $400. The EOS-M ($355) and Canon EOS adapter ($70) is $425 total with 22mm pancake.

I need to research and compare the touch screen to AF and shoot capabilities of each camera for stills and the touch screen AF and follow focus for video. I admit I don't know all of the ins and outs of the 5N and definitely not of the M.

Thanks

Edited on Jun 13, 2013 at 02:17 PM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

The sale has ended for now, so unless you ordered it earlier, you're SOL till it comes back.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:08 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

It's a shame Sony can't write a decent UI. I think the 5n may otherwise have been the best mirrorless they've made. I liked it's form factor more than the 7.

I like the M's native lenses better than the native Sony mount lenses though, so ultimately that's why I ended up with the M. I sold my Sony gear for less than I bougt the M, 22, 18-55, adapter and 90ex (and prices were higher when I bought) so despite missing the tilt screen and focus peaking, I think it was a good trade for me.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:40 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

The two lenses for the EOS M are optically amazing. The 22mm is sharper than the 23mm on the Fuji X100 and the 24mm Zeiss for the NEX. It's even sharper than my 35L (@F2) on a 5D3.
The zoom is L quality except at 55mm.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

I placed an order after they were out of stock, but while the special was still going. So per their email, I can cancel if I change my mind.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:32 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

After someone bought the stuff, one forgets it's price, and enjoys the features (or find them annoying). The EOS-M in my opinion in it's current edition is and stays a very limited camera. It is hardly meant to satisfy the needs of the audience here, the typical FM user. The NEX though aims at the enthusiast photographer. Not only it's sensor, but also features like EVF, articulate screen and autofocus characteristics make the NEX the better camera. And then the adaptability to all kinds of legacy lenses or modern AF lenses with the Metabones adapters make the Sony NEX the open system camera that enthusiast photographer appreciate. I am not saying the EOS-M is a bad camera, but for most users here at FM it's hardly satisfying even at it's current low price. I would not even enjoy it's EOSfun if it was given for free to me. I prefer to wait for the better mirrorless Canon camera

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:38 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

eosfun, I've actually owned both and the AF differences aren't as great as you suggest. Canon should add an articulating screen - it makes a real difference to useability of these little cameras.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:55 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

joeisayo wrote:
The two lenses for the EOS M are optically amazing. The 22mm is sharper than the 23mm on the Fuji X100 and the 24mm Zeiss for the NEX. It's even sharper than my 35L (@F2) on a 5D3.
The zoom is L quality except at 55mm.

Yes that 22mm was made for that EOS-M body and nothing else. Super sharp!

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

It's only going to keep getting cheaper, I mean, there is no real demand for it.

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:49 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS-M to Displace NEX 5N?

Access wrote:
It's only going to keep getting cheaper, I mean, there is no real demand for it.

It won't get cheaper then $350. They won't give it away

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.