Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ipad Photosmith - LR4 : thumbs up

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ipad Photosmith - LR4 : thumbs up

OK first let me say that when I first got my ipad (18 mths ago) I installed the photosmith app to integrate with Lightroom , hated it and just deleted it . at that time i found it just didn't do what I wanted it to do (or much of what they said it could do)

well fast forward to now and I noticed while flicking thru the app store that Photosmith had been pretty much revamped for a new version (V3.0) and as I didn't have to pay again i re-installed it .

well I have to say what a difference. anyone who has an ipad and runs lightroom its well worth the install.

the upcoming Adobe Ipad lightroom app may well better it but as they seem to be pushing everything to the subscription cloud (and by all accounts they are designing the app to work via the cloud) then unless you are a cloud payer I cant see it working .

the fact that I can now (pretty quickly) either send a collection to the ipad to rate and keyword while im not at my lightroom device or create a collection on the ipad in photosmith and sync it to lightroom (already rated and key worded) is great . the old version was supposed to do this but always seemed to fail or crash on me .
But the cherry on top is the 'proxy jpeg' sync.
with this you can shoot Raw+Jpeg, import just the jpegs into the ipad , then rate and keyword them . Then when you are at the LR machine you import the RAW files and then sync the metadata to lightroom and (as long as things like file names - taken time etc match) your raw files are rated and key worded without the jpegs from the ipad being imported .

there is 1 downside which maybe due in part to the ipad3 im using . the import process from the ipads photos app to Photosmith is not very quick . you have the choice of importing the image into PSmith (which is a new feature)or just linking to the image in the photos app . but this still takes a fair amount of time and takes up space (so i assume its still generating its own jpeg preview) . its the time taken thats the biggest downside . maybe the later Ipad4 with its much (apparently) faster internals would help this .

But I have to say that this is by far the best ipad photos workflow i've come across . now if they could add basic edits like cropping etc i would think it would be brilliant

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM
mikewren

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ipad Photosmith - LR4 : thumbs up

A little late in my reply, but thanks for the kind words, Ian! Please give me a shout if you have any questions or issues with the app.

Mike Wren / Photosmith

Nov 07, 2013 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password