Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

I believe the Pentax K-5 was the first camera to use the now ubiquitous 16mpx APS-C from Sony that was a giant step forward from it's 12mpx predecessors. That was released at the end of 2010.

I'm curious, when should we expect the next big generation of sensor technology from Sony? It seems like the D600 full frame 24mpx sensor might be using some newer tech?

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

I don't think the D600's sensor is really much of a step up at the pixel level, is it?

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

I was kinda wondering this myself. The old 16mpx sensor has been in like a thousand cameras. It is good, but it's dated.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

I would imagine it's the new(?) 24MP(?) promised(?) in the Nex 7 replacement, supposed to be announced in August (or maybe delayed).
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

I'm hoping that it will be a 24MP with the corner issues on RF lenses fixed and a little less noise. I still love the files from the 5N but just sold my Nex7 in anticipation.

Mike

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

There's nothing in the pipeline until 2014 except the NEX-7 replacement, which is expected to be 24MP with mildly improved DR (I suspect sensor toppings improvments, which should help with symmetrical lenses, plus processing chain improvements).

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

I haven't used my NEX-7 since I got my NEX-6. While I love more details, I actually hope they will keep that resoltuion and focus on improving noise and DR. (maybe they can produce 2 kinds of sensor, one for high-res and another for low-light/DR)

While D600 is better than the NEX at pixel level but Nikon seems always a little better than Sony's implementation. (And don't forget DSLR doesn't need to always turn on the sensor while mirrorless's sensor is always on)

I probably won't be interested in another APSC NEX for a while (except getting a cheap one to convert to IR) unless they implement IBIS, which is unlikely.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

I'd say that if the 24mp. and DR/noise of the current NEX-7 is good enough for the prospective buyer, the only reason to wait for the release of the new NEX-7n would be to buy the old model with a substantial rebate.
The improvment in features or QI will be quite modest, if it's another 24Mp sensor. Concerning the better behaviour with RF wides, don't hold your breath. This isn't a priority of Sony at all.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

ytwong wrote:
I haven't used my NEX-7 since I got my NEX-6. While I love more details, I actually hope they will keep that resoltuion and focus on improving noise and DR. (maybe they can produce 2 kinds of sensor, one for high-res and another for low-light/DR)

While D600 is better than the NEX at pixel level but Nikon seems always a little better than Sony's implementation. (And don't forget DSLR doesn't need to always turn on the sensor while mirrorless's sensor is always on)

I probably won't be interested in another APSC NEX for a while (except getting a cheap one to convert
...Show more

From what I understand, Sony's CFA design is a little more "dense" than Nikon's, so they trade a slight amount of noise performance for better color, although that difference seems to still be pretty small, these days. When you compare the performance of the RX1 and D600 on DxO Mark, there really isn't much to speak of between the test scores of the two cameras. Same with the D800, if you're talking about comparing like image sizes. If you're talking about at the pixel level, the D600 and RX1 actually outperform the D800 a little, according to DxO Mark...but like print size is the more usable comparison, IMO.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM
kahren
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

the sensor in the nex system is better then the lens lineup, they should work harder on that instead.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:10 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

kahren wrote:
the sensor in the nex system is better then the lens lineup, they should work harder on that instead.

The NEX lens lineup has come a long way, and I don't really consider it to be weak point, at this stage, especially if you also count the native Sigma and Zeiss offerings.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:14 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

douglasf13 wrote:
The NEX lens lineup has come a long way, and I don't really consider it to be weak point, at this stage, especially if you also count the native Sigma and Zeiss offerings.

The lens lineup is pretty good now, but this new post on SAR makes me worry about NEX.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-manufacturing-problem-is-cause-for-the-nex-7-successor-launch-delay/

It claims Sony is diverting focus to A mount because Sony sees NEX as a consumer line. It sounds to me that lens and camera improvement for NEX will slow significantly. This is a worrisome little rumor. I have $4k sunk into this system and convinced 3 others to switch from Canikon. Sony seems to be doing it again. They are about to pull the rug on yet another camera design scheme, and this one looked like it would be the winner.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:32 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

sflxn wrote:
The lens lineup is pretty good now, but this new post on SAR makes me worry about NEX.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-manufacturing-problem-is-cause-for-the-nex-7-successor-launch-delay/

It claims Sony is diverting focus to A mount because Sony sees NEX as a consumer line. It sounds to me that lens and camera improvement for NEX will slow significantly. This is a worrisome little rumor. I have $4k sunk into this system and convinced 3 others to switch from Canikon. Sony seems to be doing it again. They are about to pull the rug on yet another camera design scheme, and this one looked like it would be the winner.

Yikes, that's a bit scary and confusing, although I wouldn't personally be all that interested in many more Sony NEX lenses, now that Touit is arriving.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:36 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

douglasf13 wrote:

ZA 24 1.8 is my first NEX lens, I'd hesitate to put my money to Zeiss NEX lens again (ok, that is a Sony x Zeiss lens, I know). I feel much happier to spend on their Z line.

Lack of stabilization on Zeiss lens is an issue to me when I travel (although I do carry a CF tripod when I travel).

Long lens offering is VERY weak.. the 55-210 is their best long lens for NEX and my 2nd copy is not still very sharp at f11 ( 1st copy sent to Sony and they said they have tested the 2nd copy before sending to me, after some argument about "within tolerance" with them)

My cheap Nikon 75-150 3.5 (via an adapter), is MUCH better than the 55-210, but it's a little difficult to focus with it handheld (at some settings, it can focus past infinity and then the quality is really poor). I'm considering to get a 200 f4 for NEX (I do have 180 2.8 but it is too big and heavy).

I wish they Sony will make a faster and better mid-range zoom. I don't need 2.8, and I could live with 3.5-4.5 (ok, constant f4 would be good too), just don't make 3.5-5.6 the only option.

And we have limited selection on native mount macro lens.

IMO, they should put more efforts on lens (and the camera user interface, which I really hate).

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:00 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

ytwong wrote:
ZA 24 1.8 is my first NEX lens, I'd hesitate to put my money to Zeiss NEX lens again (ok, that is a Sony x Zeiss lens, I know). I feel much happier to spend on their Z line.

Lack of stabilization on Zeiss lens is an issue to me when I travel (although I do carry a CF tripod when I travel).

Long lens offering is VERY weak.. the 55-210 is their best long lens for NEX and my 2nd copy is not still very sharp at f11 ( 1st copy sent to Sony and they said they have tested the
...Show more

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about primes. I think they're prime lineup is fine, particularly when supplemented with the new Zeiss Touits and Sigmas. For zoom lenses, I have no idea.

What don't you like about the Zeiss 24?

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:13 PM
grahamb3
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

sflxn wrote:
[This is a worrisome little rumor. I have $4k sunk into this system and convinced 3 others to switch from Canikon. Sony seems to be doing it again. They are about to pull the rug on yet another camera design scheme, and this one looked like it would be the winner.

I appreciate that people are only concerned with their own interests.

As one who has 5x your NEX outlay in alpha mount gear, I'm glad to see Sony's rumored focus is directed at their primary camera system. Actually, I don't put too much stock in rumor sites. I think it's much more likely Sony is independently developing for each of their camera systems.

I also doubt Sony's "pulling the rug on yet another camera design scheme". Wouldn't there have to be a first (camera system canceled) for there to be another?

Graham

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:55 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

grahamb3 wrote:
I appreciate that people are only concerned with their own interests.

As one who has 5x your NEX outlay in alpha mount gear, I'm glad to see Sony's rumored focus is directed at their primary camera system. Actually, I don't put too much stock in rumor sites. I think it's much more likely Sony is independently developing for each of their camera systems.

I also doubt Sony's "pulling the rug on yet another camera design scheme". Wouldn't there have to be a first (camera system canceled) for there to be another?

Graham

I don't mind if they're all developed independently, as long as Sony doesn't make artificial distinctions between which markets each camera lines belong to. I'd like the NEX line to go a little upscale, at least the NEX 7 and NEX 9. Weatherproofing, gps, more rugged body. Also, I'ld like to see a FF NEX. If they pull back from P&S, maybe they'll have enough resources to do both A-mount and NEX/RX.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

What don't you like about the Zeiss 24?

The ZA 24 is OK, but a bit oversized and overpriced (and a little bit over-praised). CA is a little high; although CA can be corrected in RAW, somehow the camera jpg engine failed to fully correct it. I found myself carrying the 35 1.8 OSS more than the 24 1.8.

The hood of the ZA 24 is held together by double side scotch tape. I hope the Touits ain't doing the same. Some might think it's not an optical problem but then I buy a lens not a piece of glass.

While there is no scientific test done, I do have a feeling that the T* coating is probably better than Nikon's Nano coating (but then I have only compared a prime with a UWA zoom).

Ok, a little bit off topic , back to the sensor thing...

I would like to see improvements working with RF WA lens. To me, the real BIG change in the sensor game that would make me excited is a Feveon like sensor from Sony.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

Yeah, improved wide angle M lens performance would be great, especially if they make a 35mm mirrorless camera.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

Update on SAR that the Nex7 replacement is still due this year
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nex-7-successor-will-ship-in-october/

Mike

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · When's the next big APS-C Sony sensor coming?

I've been all over the place with Fuji, m4/3, and even picked up an EOS-M to try that out, and I'm still very undecided. I tend to be an obsessive researcher and have read dozens of reviews of each system including the NEX. My highest priority is always on having a great 35mm equivalent, and part of being great on mirrorless also means compact. I think I'd land very happily on the NEX-6 if they simply had a smaller 24mm f2.

Jun 18, 2013 at 04:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.