Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Steven Campbel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Well, I finally broke down and picked up a Canon 300 2.8 IS lens. It's in the mail right now and I'm hoping I could get some help with some suggested accesories for this lens.

My first need will be a bag. I have a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro for my gear now, but with this beast I'll need a dedicated bag. I'm thinking a backpack style, that will hold the lens with a body, and maybe a teleconverter attached. Is there much out there that fits this description? Any alternatives to backback style? This will be for when I'm out shooting.

I'm also looking at one of these Don Zeck lens caps. They look pretty good. Any opinions?

I'm hoping to use this handheld, but I've heard a monopod can also be useful. I kno0w a full tripod with gimbal type head is the best set up, but right now that's not in the budget. I do have a Manfrotto 055 ProB tripod and a Gitzo GH1780 ball head. This ballhead is rated at 10KG. Can I use this ball head with this lens and a 7D if I pick up a decent monopod? What monopods are people using in this application? I have the longer quick release plate for this head also.

I already have a Canon 1.4x II TC and a Canon 2x III TC, which I understand work well with this lens. Any need to upgrade the 1.4 TC II to a version III? From what I've read, there isn't much difference, especially where the IS version I of this lens is concerned.

And last, what no name brand of Kraft dinner does everyone prefer to eat after making such a purchase?

I know there's alot of qustions here, but any help would be appreciated.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Here's a good thread on this topic,

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183081

I can't help you with the Extender question. I went from the 1.4x Mk I to 1.4x III, which was definitely worthwhile, as was the 2x II to 2x III upgrade.

I generally use it handheld for action shots, and on a monopod for static subjects. I use Manfrotto Neo-Tec 685B and Feisol CM-1471 Rapid monopods with my 200/1.8L, 300/2.8L IS, and 500/4L IS, with the RRS MH-01 monopod head, not a ball head. The Manfrotto is longer and heavier, but its one-handed action is great. I use the Feisol for travel, because it folds up a lot shorter, and it`s lighter.

Re: KD, see http://torontoist.com/2007/09/the_great_toron_3/

Edited on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

I use this lens handheld all the time. On occasion I will use a Manfrotto monopod. I prefer the lever lock style to the twist lock. It just seems faster to me. YMMV.
I don't use a bag for it. I either throw it over my shoulder if I have a monopod attached or I hang it off a double or single sling. Just make sure to attach it to the lens itself and not the camera body.
You will love the lens. It is a workhorse.
P

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Thanks! I'll check it out. From what I've read, the Ver II TCs were an improvement over the Ver I TCs, but the Ver III were made mostly for the newer Ver II super telephoto lens. Not sure how true this is, but I also read that there wasn't much difference in the 1.4 II to III as there was the 2X II to III.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this beast. I just had a quick skim of the thread and realized I also meant to ask about those lens coats. What's the pros and cons? They look good for protection and taking it down a few notches from the large white apperance. Do they stick on or just slide on and off? Expensive?

Also, I think I will order a Zeck Cap, but should I go with or without the handle?

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Steven Campbel wrote:
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this beast. I just had a quick skim of the thread and realized I also meant to ask about those lens coats. What's the pros and cons? They look good for protection and taking it down a few notches from the large white apperance. Do they stick on or just slide on and off? Expensive?

They slide on and off fairly easily. I like them because they help to reduce scratches on the lens, which is heavy enough to scratch itself when you put it down on a hard and irregular surface, and they provide insulation from a cold lens, when you're barehanded.

Check the prices at NatureScapes and decide for yourself if you think they're expensive.

Steven Campbel wrote:
Also, I think I will order a Zeck Cap, but should I go with or without the handle?

It's easy to cut the plastic rivets if you decide to not use the handle, so why not start with it attached? If you don't stand the lens on its nose (which I often do), then the handle is probably a good thing to have.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Don zeck caps are overrated and overpriced.

This is a lens coat product that is not overpriced.

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/lenscoat-hoodie-lens-cap-3xl.html

Lenscoats are nice and do work, overpriced as well. But they are the only game in town, so what can you do.

Unless you are old, decrepit or just plain weak you should be able to hand hold. Only time you would possibly need support is when using slow shutter speeds.

Backpacks:

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/kinesis-l311-compact-long-lens-case-300.html

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/think-tank-photo-streetwalker-harddrive-demo.html

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/think-tank-photo-glass-taxi.html - store demo reduced price

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/gura-gear-bataflae-18l-backpack.html

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/gura-gear-bataflae-26l-camera-backpack.html

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM
tarpon6
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

I wanted to go with something a little bit different, so instead of a Lenscoat I picked up a camouflage neoprene cover and soft lens cap from these guys: Outdoor Photographers Gear . They are located in the UK, and I received my covers in about a week. They are great guys to work with and the covers are really good quality.

For an inexpensive but effective monopod solution I use this Bogen / Manfrotto 680B (pictured with a 500mm f/4)

Bogen / Manfrotto 680B Monopod with the 678 Universal Folding Base (little legs). Manfrotto 3232 swivel / tilt head and a Kirk QR clamp.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I have some more outlay coming my way. The Zeck Caps aren't cheap but neither is what they protect. My issue was the $24 the website quotes to ship international, which I assume includes Canada. That seems a little steep to ship a plastic cap.

Any Canadian dealers of the Lenscoat products?

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Steven Campbel wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I have some more outlay coming my way. The Zeck Caps aren't cheap but neither is what they protect. My issue was the $24 the website quotes to ship international, which I assume includes Canada. That seems a little steep to ship a plastic cap.

Any Canadian dealers of the Lenscoat products?

Vistek

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

For a back-pack, the TTP Glass Taxi fits the bill nicely for me. I can put the 300 w/2x AND body attached in mine. I DO take exception to bigcountry's comment "Unless you are old, decrepit or just plain weak you should be able to hand hold. Only time you would possibly need support is when using slow shutter speeds." I'm a 5' tall petite woman and I can't handhold this lens at all. I use it for birding with 2xIII and it is always either on my tripod with gimbel head, or on lens support out my car window. Now, you being a man shouldn't have this problem

I have mine fully wrapped in a LensCoat, makes it easier to keep ahold of, as well as keeping it warmer in winter. Plus, it looks cool!

Jo

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Here's what I use: Glass taxi (fits w/ body attached, I use with a speed changer attached for extra stuff...)

Monopod: Manfrotto 579 with Wimberley Q/R. I have Wimberley plates on both my 300 & 400 2.8's... No other head is needed.

Lens coat.. White.

Lens cap... Stock canon... Put back in the glass taxi when not on the lens...

TC's I have a 1.4 & 2x VII's... Almost never use the 2x...

Kraft dinner? Mac & cheese with some free taco bell hot sauce taken from TB at lunch.... Hmmm...

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:56 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

I'm not sure about photographic genre, but if you shoot nature, you'll want as few bags as possible. I currently use a ThinkTank Hard Drive. This bag will hold a 7D (or 5Diii) mounted to a 300 2.8IS w/hood attached in shooting position. I have squeezed a 1.4x between the body and lens in the bag but can't keep the 2x attached w/ hood in shooting position.

I use this bag for both local and international travel. The TT Hard Drive fits in all overhead compartments and under the seat on every plane I've flown thus far.

Attached is my bag packed for an 18 day trip through the Canadian Rockies.
I head out for a 1 week excursion to photograph prairie researchers this week and a 2 week trip to Costa Rica in July. It is likely that I will be carrying it all in this bag for each of these assignments.

enjoy the lens... it's my absolute favorite!
regards,
bruce

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:20 PM
nle57
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Here's a silly question. that lens cap 3x does look interesting, but I don't see the advantages of that over the stock lens cap that comes with the lens? Am I missing something here?

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:35 AM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

I use a Kaiser 120mm push on lens cap from B&H. It works fine and is only $18.

Kaiser Lens Cap

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Thanks for all the help. Some great tips here. I dropped into the local Henry's yesterday and picked up a Lowepro Flipside 400, which is said to hold a 300 2.8 with pro body attached and other gear. It was on sale for $99, which isn't bad for a large full featured bag. I'll try it when the lens shows, and return it if it isn't suitable. There was a newer Lowepro bag there, a sports model, very similar, but it was $200 and actually weighed a litttle more. I love the Think Tank bags, but the local selection is limited and they are twice the price as what I just scored.

I think I'll try handholding for a bit and hold off on a monpod right now.

I'll be calling Vistek today asking about the Lenscoat and the cap. I have a feeling that Lenscoat cap may be lighter, less bulky and more practical than the stock Canon cap.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Steven Campbel wrote:
I'm also looking at one of these Don Zeck lens caps. They look pretty good. Any opinions?

The Zeck caps are great for protecting the lens and eliminating the silly Nikon or Canon bag style caps. I have three of them, all with the handle that allows for removal with the lens hood in place. I also have some of the Optech neoprene covers, but they are soft and offer only dust/light rain protection.

EBH

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

EB-1 wrote:
The Zeck caps are great for protecting the lens and eliminating the silly Nikon or Canon bag style caps. I have three of them, all with the handle that allows for removal with the lens hood in place. I also have some of the Optech neoprene covers, but they are soft and offer only dust/light rain protection.

EBH

Ok thanks for the advice on that one. A hard cap may be the best. Not sure why Canon never just made one like they have on all thier other lenses. A center pinch style would have helped too.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

It looks like the Lenscoat hoodie includes a neoprene covered plastic cap that fits in the hoodie to give a harder protection.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 300 2.8 IS Accesories Help

Vistek is no longer carrying the Lenscoat products, just selling off remaining stock through thier Ebay store.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password