Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

A.S. #9 - keeping it short - critique req

SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A.S. #9 - keeping it short - critique req

A.S. = aspiring second, after wedding #9 it is a bit silly, but it makes looking up my old stuff easy.

As usual, looking for harsh critique. I let myself down at this wedding, so I am following big chuck's advice and keeping this short. Hope that makes it possible to critique.

1)

2)

3)

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:01 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · A.S. #9 - keeping it short - critique req

Hard to see with the few images here, though I think these are just fine.

How do you think you let yourself down?

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:51 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · A.S. #9 - keeping it short - critique req

Maybe it was a harder wedding due to old tricks not working the same as with other couples...

#2 = jowels and double chin. Find an angle for such a face where the chin and cheek points don't make themselves so abruptly different on her...could've meant shooting less head-on or some other angle, or hiding more/less of her face. Could also mean reducing the degree of shadow on the left edge of the chin...

His double chin would improve with slight neck extension followed by the forehead tilt downward.

Plus the vignette darkens his forehead and hair, not good IMO...

My ideas are all recycled, none of them are original.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · A.S. #9 - keeping it short - critique req

Green of #1 makes her larger arms more noticable; gives an almost 'molding' or 'gone bad' look. Very ugly.

#2 bad angle selection for the woman. Get higher on the subject, shoot this from above, same pose to help on this shot.

#3 is nice, I'd pull your saturation back a bit or not use a different VSCO looking filter for all of these instead of the one you're running now. BW would be a lot better.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:23 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · A.S. #9 - keeping it short - critique req

Yay, harsh critique

Scott Mosher wrote:
Hard to see with the few images here, though I think these are just fine.

How do you think you let yourself down?

I had trouble with canon's flash system and other technical things, got pissed and switched to manual flash, then sold all of my canon gear. (back to being 100% nikon).

The getting ready area was VERY difficult to shoot in. Small, cluttered room with weird lighting.

form wrote:
Maybe it was a harder wedding due to old tricks not working the same as with other couples...

#2 = jowels and double chin. Find an angle for such a face where the chin and cheek points don't make themselves so abruptly different on her...could've meant shooting less head-on or some other angle, or hiding more/less of her face. Could also mean reducing the degree of shadow on the left edge of the chin...

His double chin would improve with slight neck extension followed by the forehead tilt downward.

Plus the vignette darkens his forehead and hair, not good IMO...

You may be right, I struggled to think of flattering angles. The shadows on her forehead and hair are more from his shadow than from the vignette. I already have a gradient running across her face to balance it out a bit. Thanks for the tips for the necks/chins.

jeremy_clay wrote:
Green of #1 makes her larger arms more noticable; gives an almost 'molding' or 'gone bad' look. Very ugly.

#2 bad angle selection for the woman. Get higher on the subject, shoot this from above, same pose to help on this shot.

#3 is nice, I'd pull your saturation back a bit or not use a different VSCO looking filter for all of these instead of the one you're running now. BW would be a lot better.

#1, most of the shots I have of her hugging people ended up looking somewhat like that. Is there a better angle or crop?

#2, I am 5'11" and that was shot from my normal eye level. How do you get higher, I could have pulled a chair over, but wouldn't the couple get self conscious or be weirded out by that?

3#, I pushed saturation harder than I should in all three. Agreed, still floundering in an effor to find PP that fits me.
I already had a B&W version and almost posted it earlier. Here it is.

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:43 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · A.S. #9 - keeping it short - critique req

Softened up the colors on the images, they were a bit.... umm... overboard

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password