New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New Sensor Technology

Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Sensor Technology

This will change the face of photography completely and will be a goldmine IF the technology can actually be mass produced:

http://gizmodo.com/new-image-sensor-tech-captures-better-photos-by-ditchin-512644651

Highlights:

"Sensors with higher dynamic range can record a greater difference between the darkest and lightest values in scene. According to calculations by SLR Lounge, the new sensor capable has 29.2 stops of dynamic range compared to 15.3 on the Nikon D800E, which has the best range of anything commercially available."

Unbelievable at this point.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Sensor Technology

Sounds great, but better sensor technology doesn't change photography. It might mean a little less Photoshop work for some. IMO, what we now have is good enough.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Sensor Technology

There's always these sensor break through, the problem is they are too ahead of their time and never get picked up by companies. Canon/Nikon doesn't want to sell you something you will keep for 20 years. They want small upgrades so you keep buying. It's a 2-3 year cycle, that's how the 'engineering' works.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:02 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Sensor Technology

borderlight wrote:
Sounds great, but better sensor technology doesn't change photography. It might mean a little less Photoshop work for some. IMO, what we now have is good enough.

How many times do you think film photographers said the same thing?

Also, this allows the sensor to capture more of the light hitting it, so it should be a substantial improvement in noise across the board.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Sensor Technology

IMO, what we now have is good enough.

How many times do you think film photographers said the same thing?

Study the master photographers of the 19th and 20th Century. They made historic strides in photography, photos you remember. They shot with what they had, not waiting for a product that would "change photography". I have met master photographers who used the most rudimentary equipment, some didn't know the camera model they had. Today we rely on recycling perfectly good equipment for something touted as incrementally better. It may be fun for some to do this, but it has nothing to do with photography, it's just camera commerce. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good photographers out there. For those who can break away from in-depth product research, testing, and endless product discussions, there is a world of cool stuff to shoot for the low price of just showing up with a camera.... even an ordinary one will do.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Sensor Technology

What is the dynamic range of the system you print with and the screen on which you view these images? Whilst more sensor dynamic range is undoubtedly a good thing, which gives you more flexibility at capture time, the viewing technologies really need to keep up if it is to be worth very much.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Sensor Technology

borderlight wrote:
there is a world of cool stuff to shoot for the low price of just showing up with a camera.... even an ordinary one will do.

I would never say otherwise.

"Changing photography" just means it's not simply an incremental march forward of existing technology. It's a big leap, to something different, something new. Doubling the amount of DR that can be captured is a big jump, and it will, absolutely change the market.

It doesn't, however, mean that existing equipment cannot capture terrific photographs. I enjoy technology so specs, testing, discussions... they're all part of the hobby. I don't confuse that with my ability to take or not take good photos, though. You probably shouldn't completely dismiss other peoples' ability to separate the two, either .

The best camera is always the one you have with you.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Wilfredo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Sensor Technology

It's great to watch technology evolve. I hate blown out highlights, that is always a challenge. It seems the technology gets closer and closer to the human eye. It is all good!

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:33 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Sensor Technology

"It's a big leap" unrealized. The Foveon sensor was hailed a breakthrough yet Sigmas aren't flying off the shelf because of their exclusive use of it. Recently there was interest in a camera that could focus after the fact. We later learned the process to do that was impractical and time consuming. So until the ultimate sensor reaches the market at a reasonabe price and actually works as billed, it's all speculation.

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:38 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Sensor Technology

Of course - and the OP acknowledged that directly, in the first sentence.

Lab breakthroughs are interesting from an academic standpoint, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it, that's for sure.

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:51 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.