Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best SD card for D800??

mendo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best SD card for D800??

Need a little help. Have always used compact flash in the past so I am not up to speed on SD cards. Costco is having a sale so I thought I would pick one up for my second card slot. I shoot landscapes mostly.
Which would be best SD, SDHC or SDXC??

Jun 12, 2013 at 09:02 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Best SD card for D800??

For the D800 and it's big files I'd go for a SanDisk 32 gb 95mbs SDHC card, if Costco has them,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824140-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_032G_A75_Extreme_Pro_32_GB.html

Jun 12, 2013 at 09:21 PM
james.d53
• •
p.1 #3 · Best SD card for D800??

mendo wrote:
Need a little help. Have always used compact flash in the past so I am not up to speed on SD cards. Costco is having a sale so I thought I would pick one up for my second card slot. I shoot landscapes mostly.
Which would be best SD, SDHC or SDXC??

I still default to the CF card. Whether it is CF or SD, I get the fastest card that I can afford. No less than 60mbs and 16gb. !6gb gives me 200images RAW. I have 16 and 32gb.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:50 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #4 · Best SD card for D800??

I have the Hoodman CF RAW steel 32gb cards for a few months now, and they are really the best cards I ever used! They write 150mb/s and are very very strong!
For SD-card I still prefer the Extreme pro 32gb 95mb/s.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #5 · Best SD card for D800??

Hey mendo. I also use it for landscape. Rarely, if ever, I have used it for fast bursts.

That said, I spent a lot of money buying "the best & the fastest!!" (Read, the extreme pro class 10; 95 mb/s). What a waste of good money. Unless you are doing hardcore bracketing or shooting bursts like there's no tomorrow, there really is no need to spend 3x more for a speed you will never require... I've never had an instance where I have bottlenecked the camera because of that.. Then I do not shoot bursts like there's no tomorrow.

The Sandisk extreme SDHC 45mb/s does the trick for me and for your uses, I would not recommend paying for the faster ones unless you really need it (trigger happy)

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Best SD card for D800??

I use Transcend cards and love them. Much cheaper than SanDisk and I've never had problems. If your a landscape shooter, speed won't matter much. I doubt you'll ever be close to filling up the buffer.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #7 · Best SD card for D800??

SD, SDHC, and SDXC are just evolving iterations (standards) of higher capacity SD cards - there are no external physical differences.

I think SDHC starts at 16 or 32 GB, and I think it's SDXC beyond 64GB. Older card readers may not have support for the SDHC or SDXC standards, so when you get a new reader for using a high capacity SD card, make sure you buy one that supports the cards you use.. or just buy the one that supports the latest standards for the highest capacity cards (so you won't be prone to have to buy another one soon).

I've used several manufacturers of SD cards, and mostly, how reliable they are correlate well with the same companies' CF cards... the ones that make good CF cards make good SD cards... the ones who make unreliable CF cards are also likely to make less than reliable SD cards. Just stick with what you know with brands, and you'll be just fine

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:10 PM
amycookphotos

p.1 #8 · Best SD card for D800??

Sandisk Extreme Pro, and when I had the d800 I used a 64GB SD

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:26 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #9 · Best SD card for D800??

This is the best camera I've ever owned.
Why would I use less the the best cards?
Extreme Pro 95MB/s 64GB SanDisk.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password